New York Life Investments Reviews

John Kim

1. Help Desk Support Technician - Consultant

Former Employee - Help Desk Support Technician - Consultant in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Help Desk Support Technician - Consultant in Bronx, NY

I worked at New York Life Investments (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work at!

Cons

Consultants not consider for full time employment

2. Financial Services Representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Life Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NYL invests in you, trains you. Once you pass your Series 6 and Series 63 you can sell Variable products such as VA and VUL, SEP Iras and so forth. This opens the door for more opportunities.

Cons

The company's reputation speaks volumes. Your first two years are very challenging in the business.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

3. Great place.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Excellent work life balance, stability, awesome people to collaborate with depending on the group you are in. Comp above industry average.

Cons

Flat organizational structure leaves less room for advancement.

Advice to Management

None.

No growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at New York Life Investments full-time

Pros

Good benefits, great opportunities for volunteering, friendly co-workers

Cons

No upward mobility, favoritism, mundane work, high performance doesn't yield appropriate salary increases.

Advice to Management

Recognize high performers by compensating them accordingly and show interest in helping employees to grow within the company.

6. Director

Current Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at New York Life Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong commitment to customers, core mission, values, integrity. Excellent senior leadership,

Cons

None to mention at this time.

High stress environment

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Life Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging environment, smart co workers, decent compensation and benefits. Senior management is communicative and keeps us informed, even when they have bad news to share.

Cons

Major "transformation" initiative is underway in Technology. In the end we are told there will be a major downsizing in the NY-NJ workforce. Most jobs will be going to India, Dallas, Atlanta. No chance of relo or training. This process is just starting, not clear the impact on specific individuals. Knowledge transfer process is also underway. Teams of young Indians come around, interview and record you on what you do, how you do it, etc. Assisting these teams is #1 priority we are told. My manager is a micromanager who has lost or fired all his employees over the years. I am the last. Daily 15-20 minute lecture sessions are painful but tolerated. Earned time off is difficult to take - every year most of my vacation time is piled up to be taken in Nov and Dec. when I get lectured on why I should have taken it during the year even though it often was refused to be approved. Manager expects you to be working 10-12 hours / day, available on weekends. Does not "get" the importance of American holidays such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, other family time. Vacations in summer with family is more important than vacation in October, November, etc. alone. Company used to be a great place to work. Now it feels abusive, unpleasant to come to every day.

Advice to Management

Don't promote every good technical person to management. Being qualified technically does not make you a good people person. Force managers to stick to corporate policies and not make their own private HR rules that we need to abide by.

Could be much better here

I have been working at New York Life Investments full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good location. Fewer prima donnas than other places I've worked.

Cons

Local leadership changes too often. Senior management seems to operate based on the latest trend instead of instituting sound long-term policies. Lack of accountability throughout the organization. Limited opportunities for advancement. Medical plan is from a low-rated company. The building needs upgrading, and the parking lot is sometimes overflowing -- it's frustrating to get to work and have no place to park my car.

9. I love the company and the people, just wish it was a permanent position.

Current Employee - Mutual Fund Marketing Associate in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Mutual Fund Marketing Associate in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at New York Life Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a friendly environment. Everyone is willing to help if needed.

Cons

Just the fact that it is a contract position and will be up in June 2014.

10. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at New York Life Investments full-time

Pros

The company offers the opportunity for advancement and provides a good work/life balance. Additionally, the firm continues to grow, creating a nice stable environment for one's career. The firm does offer an excellent mentoring program that has been beneficial in helping individuals learn more about various areas of the firm, which can lead to career advancement.

Cons

Advancement, even though attainable, can be slow at times. Medical benefits, even though competitive within the industry, can be a little bit better and less expensive.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain an open door policy that enables employees to share ideas and foster a collaborative work environment. Lead by example so that others may look to you as an effective role model to aspire to.

Confusing....not sure management knows how to Lead

I have been working at New York Life Investments full-time

Pros

life work balance; great group of people wanting to do the right thing. mid level managers trying to get it right.

Cons

no direction or leadership. westwood office needs space improvements and updating

Advice to Management

Need to revamp their senior leadership team and bring in some "new blood"

RSS Feed </> Embed