New York Life Reviews

Reset
3.1
New York Life Chairman, President and CEO Ted Mathas
Ted Mathas

Pros
  • Great Training Programs for new Agents (in 55 reviews)

• Solid training program and an army of product support (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to hassle friends and family to buy useless products (in 37 reviews)

• Sales intensive environment, most training is about sales, limited in products offered, no base salary (in 29 reviews)

1. The Company You Keep

Current Employee - Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York Life (More than 10 years)

Pros

New York Life is a great company to work for. There are opportunities for career development, certifications, and tuition reimbursement. There are several opportunities to gain leadership with volunteer initiatives and learn about other areas of the company with the various networking groups.

Cons

Employees rarely take risks with their careers, they fear the unknown.

Advice to Management

There is plenty of talent in the company and plenty of fresh ideas within, please do not forget to develop the employees who are raising their hands for more projects.

Hard way to earn a living

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Maybrook, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Maybrook, NY

I worked at New York Life (More than a year)

Pros

Honest company, great products, good training and support

Cons

Hard if not impossible way to make a living. Everyone and their brother is out there with these products, people don't want to spend money on things that they MAY need in the future. Lots or rejection, and a few victories. Now don't think I'm full of sour grapes, I made conference, but they charge you to work there, thats right YOU pay THEM. and what is left seems like too little to live off of if you supporting a family. But possible if you work 14 hours days.

3. Depends on the person

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Melville, NY

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. My manager has been fantastic and supportive. Commission pay outs are high. This company really does want to see you succeed, whatever it takes. They'll apparently hire anyone, but the success of the partners is directly connected to the success of their reps. So most of the partners will do anything to see you become successful. They stand by what they say in the contracts. If you do well, you get promoted. If you don't do well, you won't. They really do put the business in your hands. The products are powerful and the need for this service truly exists. I read a lot of reviews that consider this a scam. It's not. Those are generally whiners who don't understand how must insurance and financial institutions work. Initial positions are generally 100% commission based throughout the industry. That is the norm. That doesn't make it a scam. It makes it a sales position. Work harder and stop complaining.

Cons

The sales culture can be brutal. Anyone and everyone is a potential sale and once you decide to go home, your business closes. If you didn't get paid that day, oh well. People who come into the business with good connections (either within the company or personally) have a much easier road. They'll make sales or receive extra help while many other reps are left to sink or swim on their own. This means the best reps aren't always the best or most knowledgeable salespeople and advisors. Sometimes, they are simply the best connected. I watched as well connected reps coasted on the business of large clients while I worked nights and weekends to pay my bills and get licensed. The company does nickle and dime you. The commission structure is great, but the operating expenses are also high. And the support staff sometimes seems like they couldn't locate their own limbs without directions. Since the company is so large, there is common miscommunication between departments. While the products themselves are excellent, the platform for managing them is awful. Underwriting is nightmarish.

Advice to Management

Learn who the most knowledgeable new advisors are and pair them with senior advisors. Make it an actual, formal system. Just because a rep is making money doesn't mean they know what they're doing, and they'll often be chosen to assist senior advisors based on their production levels, which can be artificial and deceptive if their partner is closing the business for them.

Changing

Current Employee - Corporate Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Revamping much needed technology and service structures

Cons

Lack of robust communication from top to bottom

Advice to Management

Improve communications around change strategy

Not the best place to work, but not the worst

Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reputable brand, decent benefits package, excellent volunteer program, cultivate leadership from within

Cons

Conservative/bureaucratic mentality, technologically impaired, work/life balance is lacking, mentorship not available

Advice to Management

The best way for a company to grow and thrive is to empower its employees

A very good company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in White Plains, NY

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a strong management team and a very nice benefits. A very good working environment for women. If you work hard, you will get promotions and reach your goals.

Cons

Every agent and financial professional has to reach a high standard of requirements to maintain his/her contract especially after a few years of services.

Advice to Management

The management team works very hard to reach the company's goal. Sometimes they are under lots of pressure to reach the goal especially month end or year end.

8. Legal Assistant/Vendor Management Sourcing Assistant

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at New York Life as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

some of the people you work with

Cons

extremely boring and repetitive work, the head of my department was not kind to the people under her. She was an awful administrator. Working there was like working for the DMV.

Advice to Management

allow your employees to do their jobs without ridiculous oversight

9. Internship

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Sleepy Hollow, NY

I worked at New York Life as an intern (Less than a year)