New York Life

New York Life Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 17, 2014

New York Life Chairman, President & CEO Ted Mathas

Ted Mathas

Pros
  • They provide a great training ground for how to sell and scripts to use when selling(in 48 reviews)

• Their compensation package is excellent and they have a superb I mean superb training program(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to hassle friends and family to buy useless products(in 32 reviews)

• No base salary (you will invest in the company before they invest in you)(in 26 reviews)

113 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Partner

Partner (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsChance to make a good income and build your skill set

ConsYour unit is a house of cards. 10% or agents make it , 10% of partners make it

Advice to Senior Managementdon't give a nice proforma to a new guy off the street and want a internal promotion to the same or more for very little. Help your new partners with recruiting expenses and update your very old comp plan

Agent Intern

Agent Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat training programs and exposure to senior management. People that work there are very nice.

ConsDisorganized intern program; Didn't lead to permanent placement, despite getting excellent review at end of internship

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more structured intern program in place, and give greater assistance in job placement within the organization once internship is complete

100% commission for Agents

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Training. Great Management. Ability to make really good money.

Cons100% commission. Unless you know people who have money that want to do business with you, it will be hard to make money at first. It really helps if you grew up around the area where you are working.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay established agents to help guide new recruits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sr project manager

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork Life balance
    Good benefits and salary

ConsProjects are small scale and environment has too many people who cannot accept change . very slow paced and growth potential is limited

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow challenging status quo

Assistant Financial Advisor

Assistant Financial Advisor (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood learning experience but extremely difficult for a recent graduate to suvive

Consthere were too many sales cold calls to make and talking to random people in the Mall

Great company, horrible career path

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNew York Life, is a sound Life Insurance company with the highest ratings and upmost integrity. I didn't have to pay for anything except study material (i was told I would be reimbursed once ive passed the test which i never received). One of the best things that I can say about working here was the development managers, these guys are top notch and are very helpful, knowledgeable as well. They have been in my shoes so they know everything that goes on. Their new organization and team meetings are extremely helpful.

ConsMy point-person also known as my recruiter was a scum bag, I know that this does not reflect on the agency or company itself but all recruiter use the same methods and tactics. You will be told that you are taking the position as a "financial services profession" when in reality you are a life insurance salesman. Sure you are able to do a plethora of other services but your quotas are based and paid life insurance cases and if you are not maintain those then you are gone.

When you first start out you are under a P-TAS contract, which means that you must bring in a certain amount of cases and commissions within 6 months or you will be gone. This is also a commission based position, which means you eat what you kill, but not when you kill it. You if you do bring in cases, the money is held until one of two things happen, you either resign, or you get your TAS (which is basically your second contract once you've completed your first). If any of your clients cancel their policy within 6 months, that commission will be reversed.

Printing and many other materials were free but If you really want to step your game up you will have to buy the premium products to impress your prospects.

You will also have to find your own prospects. I do not recommend this position unless you know alot of people with money or unless your parents are rich. If none of these apply, look else where. If you choose not to then you will have to cold call, go door to door, do events, and pray that you make it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more hands on with your agents, you are doing a stand up job, but please don't let the younger guys fall through the cracks.

Collateral Damage

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou have a job and great benefits

ConsThey will cut you out

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are people

Scorched earth policy attitude towards employees

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice cafeteria and good location and the people worked with were very nice.

ConsEgomaniac CEO and greed over their employees.

Ship out American jobs to foreign countries

Advice to Senior ManagementTry a little empathy towards the people who actually make you millions of dollars and stop sending American jobs to Mexico like you did in 2011-2012

Also, don't lie to your employees and tell them their jobs are safe only to be let go 30 days later

So far so good

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Proscomfortable, diverse, fun, discussing, repectful

Conshard, unstable environment, easy to quit and busy

Overall a good company

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis company has been around for a long time with a good reputation. It offers good benefits, opportunities for growth, tuition reimbursement, half day Fridays in the summer .

ConsThe biggest problem was too many layers of management, fortunately they tried to correct this problem in 2011 and 2012.
    Additionally the pay was not competitive and they had a tough time holding on to good talent (especially young talent).

Advice to Senior ManagementWork Life balance needs more attention especially for child care. Also the company should contribute more to benefits.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!