New York Life

New York Life Reviews in Parsippany, NJ

Updated Apr 23, 2014

New York Life Chairman, President & CEO Ted Mathas

Ted Mathas

Pros
  • They provide a great training ground for how to sell and scripts to use when selling(in 48 reviews)

• Their compensation package is excellent and they have a superb I mean superb training program(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to hassle friends and family to buy useless products(in 32 reviews)

• No base salary (you will invest in the company before they invest in you)(in 26 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The average American Dream. Slow and steady wins the race type of company.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsCulture is gentle and friendly, job security is stable, benefits are above average, time-off is flexible. Work-Life balance is accommodating. Work is not terribly difficult, hours rarely go over.

ConsCompensation is on the low-end, career paths are not clearly defined, room for growth is limited. Voices may go unheard at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is room for more incentives, motivation is needed in a slow-pace work environment

Mediocre.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsDepending on your department and manager it can be a nice place to work. Flexibility for mommies, but not without a price.

ConsIt's NOT Wall Street. Hidden agendas and favoritism.

Participant Service Rep

Bad Bad Jo In Customer Servuce In Parsippany New Jersey and MA (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

Prosgood health insurance bu tnothing else

ConsThis place was terrible, except for the benefits. When I was hired, the interviewers made it sound like I would be doing more than just "working in a call center". When I got on the floor, I found out it was the exact opposite of what they told me. I was told I'd be trained to process and do correspondance, but instead was just pushed to take back-to-back calls all day (if you weren't taking 80-100 a day during tax season, you got lectured by your supervisor).

Pay was very, very low. Started at $27k/year (and I have a bachelor's degree in business!). After I started working there, I was shocked that they could convince finance, accounting, management majors from good schools to work there for $27k/year.

Promotions were hard to come by. When I was there, they started shipping all of the processing to India, and layoff rumors were starting. I got out just in time. A while after I left, they did layoffs of about 150 people. Whenever a job would post in another part of the company, you'd get so many people applying that your chances of actually landing it were slim to nil. Eventually, I looked around and saw that I was sitting in a call center with 140 people just like me (college business degrees, smart) and realized that unless I was a major butt-kisser I'd never get anywhere in the company.

Advice to Senior Managementstop lying to the particpant service representatives

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company that takes care of their employees

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsGreat salary
    Great benefits and 3 weeks of vacation.
    Great 401(k)
    Up to date equipment and applications
    friendly environment
    very good work life balance

Consinteroffice politics
    work can get boring

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing to keep employees happy with all the benefits and perks. Wished you didn't lay off people as the economy improved once we were gone.

Conservative Company = Conservative Pay

Vice President (Current Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsThe company is generous with vacation time.
    The conservative nature allows the company to hold its ground in rough markets.

ConsTendency to disregard and not reward the talent of long time employees.
    Many have found that the best way to get a raise decent raise in the company is to leave for another job and then come back.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to reward the value of the talented people that have stuck with the company but also to eliminate the the weaker employees at the same time. One of the best ways to keep good employees happy is by ensuring that they are not doing the work that another guy is being paid to do.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!