New York Post

Be The First To
Add Photos

New York Post CEO K Rupert Murdoch

K Rupert Murdoch

I worked as a copy editor on the night news desk (freelance).

Copy Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe head of the copy desk (copy slot) was, without a doubt, among the smartest, most capable, unflappable, well informed, and insightful editors I've ever met--he also is the poet of Page 1, the man who writes those two- or three-word headlines that sometimes make news themselves. Editors from other sections seek his advice as well.
    My co-workers were bright, funny, well informed, dedicated to their craft, and determined to get the story right. A superb staff, all around.

ConsSeismic shifts in the world of print news have decimated the newsroom, which has taken a toll on morale as well as the quality of the paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not news that the NY Post loses money. So why not make it a GREAT paper that loses money?

Antiquated

Account Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsA great opportunity for college graduates. The company thrives on training young employees and grooming them to sell the New York Post products. They focus on promotions internally which is a unique feature in the sales industry. Additionally, this is the only company that encourages their employees to leave at 5:30pm, and allows for everyone to have a strong social life outside of work.

ConsSince everyone is hired internally, there is no outside knowledge of digital sales. This has done a serious disservice to the company and has ultimately led to their failure in the digital space. The company culture is also heavily reliant on "loyalty" to the company and those who were loyal had little knowledge outside of the walls of News Corp. The sales strategies and company culture were extremely antiquated and those in charge were too stubborn to welcome a (modern) change for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire from within News Corp.

Toast to the Post

Editor, Rewriteman, Reporter (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAn exciting, enterprising, professional place to work. I started there as a copy boy and worked my way up. I left it to be on my own as a freelance writer after scoring many Page One stories.

ConsWorking the Lobster Shift was not one of my favorite schedules.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A real Newspaper

Artist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat history and a lot of people experienced in the newspaper business to learn from and grow with. Very passionate about their work. Everyone I have contact with is dedicated to their craft and always willing to share their knowledge with a smile. The location is in the middle of the city in Rockefeller Center, so subway access, entertainment and excitement are readily available.

ConsOffice is not the newest environment to work in. Not much effort is being put into improving the furniture or the equipment. If your surroundings matter, this is not the place for you.

Great learning experience

Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people, good environment overall, and well organized sales training program. Some of the best post college training and experience I could imagine. Great program of promoting based on performance up to AE level. Great career opportunities after since most employers are pleased by the amount of sales training that was provided.

ConsOnce attaining AE level very difficult to move up, senior management doesn't necessarily listen to what you are interested in therefore may end up in a sales territory that is less than desirable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace people where their strengths are, not where you need bodies.

NY Post

Reporter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIndependence, flexibility and the ability to work for a great NY institution

ConsA lot of rough elbows

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more

Fun people, decent product, not forward thinking enough

Advertising Account Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFun people to work with, decent pay, good brand name

ConsWorking in a dying industry is hard and the paper can be very offensive making it tough to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what you are doing right and what is working.

Account Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProvided training to help groom college graduates for ad sales

ConsAntiquated, backwards business practices that stunted revenue growth as well as internal moral. Upper management often favored old practices over innovative concepts in terms of training new hires and improving their products. Upper management was also completely self involved to the point where they would often make up stories about "amazing sales" they made back in the day, yet knew little to nothing about current brands or their marketing strategies; their egos often got in the way of the overall success of the department. The program is a great way to learn about ad sales, and to leverage pay and positions at other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart from scratch - hire a publisher from outside of the News Corp family, who doesn't have a personal agenda in terms of satisfying Murdoch.

Sales Program is great - after that, not so good.

Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFun environment, staff is filled with very interesting people. Sales development program hires kids directly out of college, gives them a chance to really develop sales skills and also helps them adjust to working life. Great opportunity for any recent college grad interested in media sales.

ConsUpper-level management is a mess. The top guys running it refuse to educate themselves on the changing digital market, and create unrealistic expectations for selling newspaper ads. Extremely politicized - certain people are liked while others are hated for no apparent reason; gossip runs rampant. If you're not liked, even if you're achieving your goals and doing well at your job, no one will acknowledge it. If you're liked, you can get away with spending most of your day chatting in managers' offices and doing very little work. Compensation is poor - its best for the staff to go through the program, do their dues, and get paid more somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some younger, educated talent in-house to run things.

Account Executive at NY Post

Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosamazing sales development program is very good and helps for the future

Consbad upper management. The Post needs to higher from the outside to get a fresh perspective if they want to see the digital business grow

Advice to Senior Managementhire from the outside

Worked for New York Post? Contribute to the Community!