New York Presbyterian Hospital

Updated November 24, 2014
3.5

New York Presbyterian Hospital CEO Steven J. Corwin
Steven J. Corwin

Pros
  • Great benefits, good pay, great co-workers to share concerns with after work hours (in 16 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, easy commute to the city (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very early and late meetings, no ability for work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• As stated they nickel and dime every item related to patient care without a second thought (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Pharmacist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, good team to work with. Salaries are competitive, union benefits are pretty good. Employee satisfaction is being surveyed every year, but nothing changes as a result.

Cons

Department management , when implementing changes , often does not take in consideration staff opinion who actually provide patient care. As a result changes often not only not practical, but interfere with work. Not much space to grow, unless someone is interested to become a manager.

Please talk to stuff more, not only before state inspection suppose to come, but before making decisions affecting the way we suppose to perform our job.

I love This Place

Current Employee - Registrar in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Registrar in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work with great pay and benefits, however, the tenured employees are unhappy and tired of being in the same position for years and will make you feel like you chose the wrong place. Do not allow them to make you feel that way, until you see something wrong with your own 2 eyes do not pay mind to the office politics.

Cons

The co-workers who have been in the same position on the same floor for 15 years plus. They are miserable and they let life pass them by so they are mad at themselves not you.

Listen to and recognize your employees, especially the ones who are going the extra mile and above and beyond!!

pharmacy tech

Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, 4 weeks vacation; 12 days a year in sick days, tuition reimbursement for students.

Cons

Bad management; out of touch with staff. Staff are ignored and put in situations to argue with one another.

Great fieldwork experience for an OT student!

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

Friendly staff, work-life balance is manageable. Employees seem to love it there and has high retention.

Cons

Not much to complain about!

Employee Protection

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can meet some respectable people amongst the wolves

Cons

No real employee protection as there is no union and want to keep employees away from this by threatening their employment. 1 mistake and it's off with your head especially during budget cuts. Trust no one and protect yourself at all cost

Be more realistic and hospitable towards your employees. Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Medicine - Fellowship

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good diversity of patients, academic atmosphere with good mix of academic/private attendings, great health care

Cons

Big hospital system and therefore at times not efficient

Limit annual housing increases in subsidized rent especially since compensation does not increase at a comparable percent.

A terrific place to work with terrific people

Former Employee - Nursing Administration in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Nursing Administration in New York, NY

I worked at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people, patient focused value, promotions

Cons

work life balance and geographic size

Great Hospital to work for

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Has a high level of clinically strong health care workers. Opportunity for upward mobility, or lateral mobility to different specialty areas, competitive pay, union hospital (Columbia not Cornell), diverse (Columbia), opportunity for growth and learning for nurses and those working in radiology.

Cons

Due to the high profile status of the hospital, you may feel limited in what you can or can't do at times. And some people are a bit snooty and obnoxious.

None.

Summer Research Internship

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at New York Presbyterian Hospital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic place to work. A lot of opportunities to move up and around the hospital (depending on experience). There is nothing like roaming a hospital chasing down candidates for research.

Cons

Work day can be a bit long, but that comes with the territory. Work can be bit daunting as well for those unaccustomed to the medical field.

The department that I worked for could have been more in tune with the work that they assigned me as well as listening to my instructions on how to re-access my assigned computer after my departure.

Great Hospital to work for. It certainly makes me proud to be an employee

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

Great Hospital, a lot of opportunities for development

Cons

Company may be a little too traditional for some. Sometimes it takes a while to be promoted. Work can be stressful (it is a hospital after all)

New York Presbyterian Hospital Photos