New York Presbyterian Hospital

Updated September 29, 2014
3.5

New York Presbyterian Hospital CEO Steven J. Corwin
Steven J. Corwin

Pros
  • Great benefits, good pay, great co-workers to share concerns with after work hours (in 15 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, easy commute to the city (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very early and late meetings, no ability for work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• As stated they nickel and dime every item related to patient care without a second thought (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Dynamic work environment

I worked at New York Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

With so many different nursing opportunities, one can always find the right fit. I would likely have continued working there had I not moved back to Florida.

Cons

Cons for me is having a bit of a southern accent. It's difficult enough with all the varied languages spoken, then add a southern drawl! Staffing shortages prevalent as is in most hospitals.

RN, Operating Room

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I worked at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great young staff provided for a fun atmosphere during challenging days

Cons

Struggled with staffing as most operating rooms do.. great opportunity for overtime.

The Best Career Move I Ever Made

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst II  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst II in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great salary, benefits and work / life balance.
    The hospitals desire to put patients first also mirrors what they want for their employees.
    I love my team and the organizational structure.
    There is room for growth since the organization is large and NYP keeps on taking on other hospitals.
    2 day orientation at the Griffin Room at Cornell campus was beautiful.
    Everyone I've met so from any department / campus was very professional.

Cons

The hiring process is lengthy. This isn't necessarily a con. It's just a big organization and NYP has many hospital affiliates / departments. Mine took about 2-3 weeks where others mentioned to me at orientation, it took months.
    Since I came from a smaller company (70 employees), coming into a big organization (10,000+) made me feel a bit overwhelmed because there are so many managers for different departments / campuses and the culture was different. However, NYP has various resources and tools available for new hires to get all the info they need with Infonet and company wide emails.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

2 people rowing, 6 watching, and 2 trying to sink the boat

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Get to work on the cutting edge of medicine and help save lives

Cons

Bureaucracy and meetings slow everything down. Can't seem to get rid of the bad apples that are stuck in the 1980's

Focus on some specific issues and don't change the "project of the day" constantly

Hospital working

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time

Pros

1199 (union), great environment, friendly staff

Cons

Long commute (1.5 hrs each way)

I am happy to be working for NYPH. Most of the people who I work with are happy to be working their as well.

Current Employee - Cardia Care  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cardia Care in New York, NY

Pros

Working for NYPH Is great. I have been working their for 9 years now. I have a month off every year with roll over in case I don't want to go vacation. 12 sick days a year that also rolls over if i don't get sick and 4 personal days every year. Not to mention if I work a holiday I get time and a half and a day off with pay. The benefits are great. Most of that is thanks to my union Local 1199

Cons

The work load can be high some days. I thinks its due to being in new york city. Some days we don't have enough coverage for the demand.

Best place I've worked,

Current Employee - Nurses Aide  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Nurses Aide in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great location, facility, and environment. Nice, friendly, professional, team-oriented coworkers. Management and supervisors are respectful, especially if you are a good worker. Perks, training, benefits, security are excellent. Everyday you meet different people/patients/personalities which can be a positive experience based on how you look at it. 12 hour shifts are a plus : )

Cons

Everyday is different and unpredictable which may bring more challenges in trying to put patients first. No paid maternity leave. Hard work, yet rewarding.

Caring for NYP employees should be important as well as just the patients. Women employees should have paid maternity leave so they are not forced to return to work because of natural financial obligations, especially when their body is telling them they are not ready. Management should be more considerate and add a paid maternity leave policy.

Great Experience

Pros

Excellent hospital with great communication and team leadership. Everyone seems to go on and beyond their Call of Duty. Highly recommended..

Cons

Not really any major cons from my personal experience.

I love this hospital!

I worked at New York Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

The leadership is very good. This facility is highly committed to customer service.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement was small in my field.

More growth opportunities

Great organization to work for

I have been working at New York Presbyterian Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are numerous growth opportunities available

Cons

Compared to other places the compensation could be better

New York Presbyterian Hospital Photos

Worked for New York Presbyterian Hospital? Contribute to the Community!