New York Public Interest Research Group

Summer Door to Door Campaigner

Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Interest Research Group

Pros

Really fun work environment with friendly staff and cool coworkers. Staff really cares about the issues, they do their best to inspire and motivate their teams.

Cons

Very long hours, days can go on until 10pm. Pay is based completely off of commission so if you have a bad day tough luck. High turnover among employees due to this.

Have employees attend mandatory training/practice, reduce turnover of employees. Also come late August end the day earlier because people don't like being bothered at home when it is pitch black out and getting the cops called on you is no fun.

Great Interest Group to Intern For

I worked at New York Public Interest Research Group

Pros

Project Coordinators were fantastic leaders

Cons

None-it was a phenomenal internship

Grassroots is activism, but rewarding

Former Employee - Summer Canvasser in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Canvasser in Rochester, NY

I worked at New York Public Interest Research Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Growth in interpersonal skills, research into various environmental and political issues, they do excellent policy work

Cons

Pay is commission. Need to hustle to get earn your keep.

Base pay!

Lots of opportunities, fun, educational, activism

Former Intern - Canvasser and Campus in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Canvasser and Campus in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Interest Research Group as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a lot of money fundraising for summer canvass. Lots of educational and leadership opportunities if you go to a college that has a NYPIRG chapter. They get laws passed!

Cons

Cliquish, fundraising isn't for everyone

Don't be so cliquish. It discourages those of us who are "in with the in crowd"

Great first job

Current Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Public Interest Research Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My time here has been a wonderful experience. It was my first job and no understanding of how a campaign worked. But they trained me and trained me til I got it. I've built many great skills from working here and can now go on to work in my field. If you need help building a resume, this is the place for you!

Cons

Honestly, I can see why some people would not like the job. Its hard work and you have to be passionate about the environment. So there will be some who just think this job is a waste of time. I agree, if you dont like it here, leave. Its a great work atmosphere but you gotta work hard

you guys rock!

not the best

Pros

The best thing about working for NYPIRG is the experience you gain. Few other orgs will give recent grads so much autonomy and responsibility.

Cons

The pay is terrible and the hours can be very long. The leadership is borderline criminal.

Great opportunities for anyone that needs non-profit, advocacy experience

Current Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

Pros

I've been working here for 2 years now and I can honestly say this the most rewarding job I've ever had. I was so tired of working in an office or doing some mundane job that had nothing to do with my major, political science, sociology. So when I applied to NYPIRG I wasnt sure it was for me. I was too shy and didnt think I could talk to people about these issues, even though it what I was passionate about. But they trained me, and trained me. I really wasnt very good at first. But luckily they didnt give up on me. I was worried because I had worked for other organizations like this that fire you if you dont do well within 3 days! But the staff at NYPIRG were so helpful. I stuck it out and now I love it here! I've made so many friends and I now feel confident with myself.

Cons

It can be hard if youre an introvert. But if you want to get over that and work towards a better self esteem, this is a great job for you. Just ask for advice from the staff and everything works out. People who dont do well here, dont try enough. I've seen some people leave just because they felt uncomfortable. Trust me I was uncomfortable at first too. Its amazing how quickly you get used to everything.

The office could use some cleaning... But then again, its a non-profit and a very relaxed atmosphere.

A really great place to get paid to learn the basics of activism and empowerment

I worked at New York Public Interest Research Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is an organization that works in training the next generation of student leaders. NYPIRG is a good organization to learn about student activism as they have a long standing history of fighting for student, consumer, and environmental rights and winning. They are a dedicated group who fight tirelessly to effect change with real, boots on the ground campaigns. It is hard work, but anyone who considers themselves an activist should be prepared to work hard for what they believe in.

Cons

Transparency and feedback could be more highly valued in the organization. Having worked there for more than a year, I sometimes felt that I didn't know what was going on or why decisions that were coming from the top were being made. This can be frustrating at times, but everyone is a good person and so I always trusted in their leadership.

Consider soliciting feedback from your employees and adapting to it. Not only do you have a group of intelligent and dedicated people working for you who have great ideas to improve NYPIRG, but they are closer to the day-to-day operations and can feedback important ideas you may not be as aware of.

Best training, people of any canvassing org - made more $ too.

I have been working at New York Public Interest Research Group

Pros

I've done canvassing for many years now, and last summer I worked for NYPIRG to ban fracking in NY state. I feel like other fundraising environmental groups are either "middle-men" for political parties and out-of-state groups or just don't have the track record and experience of NYPIRG. They've been doing this in NY for 40 years - and the info they share with canvassers is so much better than any other group I've seen.

Also - the field managers and canvass directors are totally reasonable - willing to work with you one-on-one, give really useful advice. I'm definitely coming back next summer - good people and the money is solid.

Cons

Office is a bit scruffy - but it's a non-profit with a lot of younger, fun people around - so not too much of a big deal.

Best job I ever had!

Current Employee - Canvass Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Canvass Director in New York, NY

Pros

My time at NYPIRG was a dream. Absolutely a great organization to help get you started in advocacy work. The team I worked with were so helpful and enthusiastic. It really keeps you motivated to win.

Cons

The campaign in the summers gets huge! Keeping everyone happy can be stressful. The work space is relaxed but can get very messy since we have such a large team. But maintaining a positive attitude is the best advice I can give. Working with so many different people, you cant expect everyone to be happy.

The supervisors are amazing! They work longer hours than anyone and still manage to keep it together.

New York Public Interest Research Group Photos