New York Public Library

www.nypl.org

New York Public Library Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
New York Public Library – US – “The Library”

New York Public Library – US – “The Library”

New York Public Library President Anthony Marx

Anthony Marx

Pros
  • Good benefits, lots of lateral and upward moving potential (in 5 reviews)

• A great place to work and improve customer service skills within a non-sales role (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, management is reluctant to offer raises but the keep promising raises to keep you around (in 5 reviews)

• Not a lot of work to do in libraries, so supervisors are always watching your every move (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

An important institution, but management doesn't always have the right goals in mind

ProsAdequate work-life balance. Interesting projects. Thoughtful and intelligent colleagues. Some support for professional development. The Stephen A. Schwartzman Building at 42nd Street and 5th Avenue has got to be one of the most inspirational buildings you could ever hope to work in.

ConsContracts haven't been re-negotiated in years=no salary increase at all-- not even cost of living. Upper management is out of touch with the boots on the ground. They have lost sight of our mission. Bureaucracy can be difficult to navigate. Very little transparency of operations at the upper levels

Good people, good work, low pay

Tutor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe NYPL attracts very good people. Everyone I have met believes in public service and in helping people learn. I feel good when I leave work.

ConsI don't feel like there is much room for growth (some other jobs perhaps there is) and the pay is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create more opportunities for people to grow within the company. Retention could be a problem you're not paying enough attention to.

Not Bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI got a check, and flexible with school

ConsNot a lot of work to do in libraries, so supervisors are always watching your every move

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok place to work for.

Senior Librarian (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCoworkers, not a very demanding job.

ConsPay, hours, not room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementOver more opportunity for advancement. Start valuing education again.

The library is what you make it

Senior Page (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou have a lot of opportunities to make your position what you want it to be. A lot of growth if not up at least sideways.

ConsSalary, too many levels of management, rigid structure,

Great Experience For A First Job

Library Page (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood pay, Friendly staff, flexible hours, Supervisors are understanding about you taking days off, Not many hours you have to work so you can actually have a life outside of the workplace, Your not under close watch so you can do your work however you want, Reasonable time for lunch/breaks, Receive perks whenever there are events or programs in the library

ConsLazy staff that expects you to do their work for them sometimes but won't lift a finger if your having a hard time with your work. Work is very physically demanding ! Work is not recognized or appreciated but the appearance of the library is solely dependent on YOU. You are asked to do work that is not in your job description. Patrons are careless about the library appearance so you have to pick up after them A LOT. Large workload. Short staffed and overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow Pages more appreciation. They may not have much seniority but they do the most work than the people that work over them and we help run the library. Also make sure that Patron respect the Library, Pages shouldn't have to pick up after grown adults.

Overworked and underpaid.

ProsIf you work with a friendly staff it will be a comfortable work setting.

ConsNo room for promotion. Outside people get hired first over internal. Salaries are horrible and management does not care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive incentives for employees to want to stay

Overall Very Positive, Until It Was Horrible

Supervising Librarian (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe Library offers a dizzying amount of classes and training, if you are ambitious. Some are mandatory, but most are not. If you're smart, you'll avail every opportunity.
    Most staff, though by far not all, are courtesy and professional, and very easy to get along with. You'll make many long-lasting friendships.
    The Library encourages staff to develop innovative programs for the public, and are quite supportive of staff efforts.

ConsSince it is union (which can be a very good thing!), unfortunately bad apples are almost impossible to get rid of. There are plenty of people who don't pull their weight, and do nothing with attitude.
    The chance for advancement is scarce; many professional positions now do not require MLSs, thus taking away jobs once held my librarians. All about the all mighty dollar.
    Management in the upper eschelon are business people, most with no experience in non-profits. And it shows. Many changes have been made over the years that most staff find deleterious to the mission of the library. For example, monetizing libraries (i.e., selling off library properties to developers), thus shrinking the system of needed, very busy libraries.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop selling off libraries as commodities and instead invest in staff, collections, and fix the libraries you already have. Value staff input, and that of the public.

A fun place to work!

Special Events Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe Library has not only a rich and beautiful history, but also has a great community of employees who care about the life and services of the Library and its significance in our City.

ConsIt can also be a small community -- nuff said.

Like being stuck in a bad marriage.

Branch Staff (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI have a job. Though it's hanging by a thread, the IS still some form of union, and benefits. Yet, no contract since 2009/2010.

ConsFrom cover-boy Marx all the way down to the lowest-level manager; and now, the mass influx of inexperienced, external hires that we have to train before they replace us. Until they recognize that their success is dependent on a positive, productive, supportive work environment for their labor force, they will continue to lose loyal patrons and money. Don't feel too bad for them... Crying broke... please! They get paid every time someone holds a gala, films a movie, commercial, or some millionaire dies & drops millions that they allocate for preferred projects. Morale has never been lower. Say goodbye to the days when you would come to a NYPL branch and find books. They're being deleted by the shelf-load. "Now we have e-books, and e-resources!" Quotes we are encouraged to use to cover for their asinine decisions when patrons come asking "what happened to all the books?". Old-timers: Technology; learn to like it or learn to love it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone! They are beyond help. To the board of directors: Start from scratch!

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!