New York Sports Club

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Giardina

Pros
  • Free gym membership and access to all areas of Gym(in 23 reviews)

• Free gym membership, co-workers are generally good(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance, we were turned into robots, no integrity, no value on what we were offering, terrible hours and 3-4 12 hour days a month(in 4 reviews)

• Because it's very sales oriented atmosphere "the needs of your business" are long hours(in 6 reviews)

learned lots of customer service, housekeeping multitasking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit builds on you, lets you know how to satisfy both needs of customers and management becomes like mini community of itself

Consnot every customer every manager can be pleased, however you learn to just do what you can do .

Challenging and conflicting time spent as a NYSC employee.

Swim Instructor (Former Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsFree gym membership and access to all areas of Gym.

ConsWorking with children if involved in swim lessons and birthday parties. Also, light cleaning is involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more opportunities for low level employees to move up the chain of command.

Good- not Great experience

Program Manager (Former Employee) New Rochelle, NY

ProsGood location, nice facility, great co-workers, nice members. The parking was a bit if a nuisance and the company would not pay for anyone under manager status.

ConsLow pay, long hours especially during close-outs, before I quit they had added a 3rd monthly closeout which was ridiculous. I also disliked having to constantly go to surrounding businesses and hand out flyers. Very demeaning.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake it easy on your constant call drives and long hours. The pressure to hit everyday is what drove me away. We were never commended on what we did for the previous month if we didn't hit our goal. A lot it time, effort and energy go into every dollar your staff brings in. Remember that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

pleasant

Corporate Sales (Current Employee) Garden City, NY

Prosteam building ,motivating,great member experiences.

Conslong hours ,not enough management support and underpay.High turnover in management.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease salaries ,Better communication with staff.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

bad

Prosfree membership. that is all.

Consbad mouthing of employees to customers. cancelling of memberships of family members of employees when completely unwarranted. manager made phony phone calls to both members and employees. greedy. refusal to give time off, even when the employee needed surgery. cursing out of employees in front of members. pay raises based on favoritism, while taking away money from other employees. payment of employees on training session takes months.

Was ok, management was lax and weird hours were unattended

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) Lake Grove, NY

ProsFree membership, use of facilities...I worked there for a summer and enjoyed being able to work there. I was able to use everything they had to offer and it was very clean and the employees were nice.

Consweird hours as lone employee, lax management. Working their I felt uncomfortable after a certain point as the only employee. late hours were terrible by myself, people would never leave when its time to close.

A rollercoaster ride full of disappointment

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAs a front desk attendant I saw it all. The number one pro was the free membership. SOME of the relationships that spawned from my time at NYSC is still with me till this day.

ConsIt is extremely hard to move up in the company, NYSC makes it seem as if it is easy to move up but it isn't. If you're overweight there's a stigma that you can't possibly help people because of your weight. I have worked at a lot of NYSC and this is not a generalization. THEY DON'T LIKE FAT EMPLOYEES.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully, there has been a massive clean house. Try not to have favoritism amongst the workers and give everyone a chance to move up in the company.

Party coordinator

ProsGreat experience working with children, good tips, easy job

ConsIf working many hours sometimes there is no break.

Membership Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining like fortune 500 company, networking with members, free club use

ConsLong Hours, Salary, Depending on area, sales can be very difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to Staff and

I enjoyed the experience.

Welcome Team/Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Woodmere, NY

ProsCo-workers were nice, My manager was always considerate and kind, Free Gym membership

ConsSome members were rude and so messy, pay sucked

Worked for New York Sports Club? Contribute to the Community!