New York Sports Club

Updated January 4, 2015
Updated January 4, 2015
2.3

Robert Giardina

Pros
  • Free gym membership and nothing else, even the benefits suck tremendously (in 27 reviews)

• Co-workers were nice, My manager was always considerate and kind, Free Gym membership (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours, Salary, Depending on area, sales can be very difficult (in 8 reviews)

• Serious lack of professionalism for all club management and too geared towards sales instead of retaining current members (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at New York Sports Club

Pros

Pay is good, time is good

Cons

None that is a con

It was great, good people to work with and a nice place to be at when you want to work out and get in shape

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at New York Sports Club

Pros

Salary, the co workers and fitness environment was great seeing all of the fit people makes you want to get active

Cons

Long hours, pay every 2 weeks, like four twelve hour days a month because of close outs and you have to hit your quotas

Talk to the employees more often and teach them

Party coordinator

I have been working at New York Sports Club part-time

Pros

Great experience working with children, good tips, easy job

Cons

If working many hours sometimes there is no break.

Growth and opportunity

Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I started at NYSC as a new trainer looking to find a job I enjoyed - That was 8 years ago. Now, I have fun career as a Fitness manager at a successful club in NYC. I owe great thanks to the learning & development program, and the leadership team the company has developed. Through that my careerI has grown beyond my early expectations. They really do a solid job of setting high expectations but giving you the tools to achieve them. Great team support, financially rewarding, and a quick track to management.

Cons

It's really up to you - If you want to be successful they will show you the way.

Love the learning and development aspect of what we do. Keep on it!

Great Experience

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Dobbs Ferry, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Dobbs Ferry, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Two Words: Billy Goda. Best leader I have ever worked for and I learned a tremendous amount from him. If you are interested in being a personal trainer, this is the place to go. You have to be willing to put in the work and listen! Billy helps place on the right career path and gives you the tools and knowledge you need to succeed along the way. This is a great team to be a part of as you are surrounded by friendly co-workers and in a positive working environment. I would recommend the NYSC in Dobbs Ferry to any trainer that is willing to learn and put in the work.

Cons

Not a great source of income in the early stages, so you need to build your business right away!

Great place to work

I have been working at New York Sports Club

Pros

Great co-workers, good community feeling between staff and members, effort and hard work are acknowledged and rewarded

Cons

Sometimes it seems like higher management doesn't understand the needs of workers within the clubs.

Maintain good communication to all levels of workers.

Solid company, corporate, great people and environment.

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid pay but I was underpaid for how I felt I performed, personally. Great people to be around. Made a good living, won a lot of awards, helped develop some great employees.

Cons

Be prepared for potential long work hours. Be prepared for a lot of negativity from other employees. Lastly, it matters who you work for more than anything. That;s true of any job but some people are blessed to work with the right people here. Others, you're swimming upstream and I'm sorry.

Get in the clubs more. Senior Directors visit your club once a month or two typically and base their assessment of you off of a sheet of paper and what they see in their short visit. Come around more and participate with the teams and see their struggles, not so they can build on their excuses but so you can feel more a part of the team and know your sites better. And bring real energy, not fake energy. The teams will buy into it more if they see you along side them more.

Fun with Growth Potential

Current Employee - General Manager in Englewood, NJ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Englewood, NJ

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Growth opportunity. Fast paced. Great earning potential. Ongoing development. Motivating. Rewarding. Challenging. Competitive. Great place to have a career instead of "a job." Teamwork.

Cons

Some long hours, holidays and weekends.

Fun, mostly friendly, easy going enviroment

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's really no horrible reason not to work here. It's the most stress free environment I've worked in and that's after working as a retail associate and an assistant in higher education. Just if only the pay was above minimum wage...

Cons

Some times members can give you a bit of a hassle trying to get their way but you stick to guns about the rules with everyone. Just if only the pay was above minimum wage...

Leave GM's some breathing room to get the "small" things their employees need from them...and that's true from all clubs in my area. Raise the pay above minimum wage...

Good start

I have been working at New York Sports Club

Pros

solid club to start at

Cons

not the best pay and no benefits