New York Sports Club

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.3

Robert Giardina

Pros
  • Free gym membership and nothing else, even the benefits suck tremendously (in 27 reviews)

• Co-workers were nice, My manager was always considerate and kind, Free Gym membership (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours, Salary, Depending on area, sales can be very difficult (in 8 reviews)

• Serious lack of professionalism for all club management and too geared towards sales instead of retaining current members (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Personal trainer

I worked at New York Sports Club

Pros

Being able to help and teach people how to live healthier lives. Most of the staff is cool.

Cons

Management is a joke! Both fitness manager and general manager were very unprofessional,disrespectful and down right shady! You're expected to generate sales via leads/assessments from new members but management cares only about feeding those who they want. They hire young non certified trainers and allow them to break many company polices as long as they generate sales for the company. There wages are a joke and will only give you vacation time as long as you maintain at least 30 sessions a week.

Place more concern on the clients/members and less about the money they have in their pockets. STOP hiring non certified trainers and promoting services by certified trainers unless you're looking for a major lawsuit.

Management

I worked at New York Sports Club

Pros

1% are ok
    Clean
    Many locations
    Some good people
    Some good members

Cons

90% managers are backstabbing and membership sales often refer clients to trainers they are friends with management encourage employees to snitch on one another

Respect people and members are not always right

Worst experience in my life, EVER!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at New York Sports Club

Pros

Free gym membership and nothing else, even the benefits suck tremendously.

Cons

Upper Management lives on a cloud.
    Lack of appreciation for it's employees.
    No diversity in upper management.
    Zero company morale.
    Minimal support to clubs, but tons of criticism.
    Questionable business practices
    Negligent
    No accountability
    Blame blame blame
    Absolutely no life/work balance
    Do not care about members or employee but pretend they do.

Encouragement, positivity and actually caring about your employees and members go a long way!

Look elsewhere, nothing good about this company

Current Employee - Membership Consultant
    Current Employee - Membership Consultant

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free membership that's about it

Cons

work load, unfair employment treatment by management, somehow this company got away with paying you below min. wage about $6 an hour and only pay you for a 40 hr. work week BUT you end up working more than 50 hrs. a week and the last day of the month you work a mandatory 12 hr. shift as a close out day to make up sales. No time and half when you work a holiday. If you have family, might as well get a divorce. Sales strategies are too aggressive and unrealistic.

pay better to your employees!! How can you give a 10 cents increase to your cleaning staff and expect them to clean the building like is The Vatican.

RUN for your life!!!

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym membership
    That's it!

Cons

I'll make this simple:
    There is a reason they are always recruiting and lost close to 100 managers in 2013.

Zero support, development or genuine care.

Everyone sitting at the corporate headquarters should be replaced or fired for their poor performance and negligence. Until this happens nothing will change.

Be ethical and fair.

Care about your members and the people that work for you.

Invest in training and development of your staff.

Be accountable for your high turn over ratios.

Not a company that supports work/life balance, even though it's one of their core values.

Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager
    Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting the members and being able to workout daily.

Cons

As a manager, limited time off. Retail hours of 5 am - 11 pm. 12-hr work days. No holidays! Even though they are closed 1 day in the year for Christmas it counts as one of your 2 days off for that week.

Listen to your managers who are running the day-to-day business to understand client needs and industry trends, including classes, equipment and pricing.

Find Work Elsewhere - Don't Waste Your Efforts Here

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Sports Club part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership and a chance to stay healthy and fit.. That is about it. Not much more. Lucky if hired where there is decent management.

Cons

I had a job interview at 86th Street with Manuel Valdez. After a long interview and being asked many questions, I was told by Mr. Valdez that things had changed since we spoke on the phone and that the position was not available. He told me this AFTER the interview was over. The way he led the interview led me to belief that I was a good candidate for the job. I think he used me and this interview process to train a new manager who he asked to join the interview. BAD BUSINESS ETHICS!

This happened towards the end of last year and I was not going to bother with a review, but the unfairness of it all would not leave my mind. Thought it took me this long, I am glad to get it off my chest. I’m glad if I can prevent others from wasting their earnest time and effort in their job search ventures. DO NOT bother with New York Sports Club. Put your effort and valuable time elsewhere!!

Improve your business ethics.

Downward Spiral

Former Employee - Front Desk in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Huntington, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free membership. Thats. it.

Cons

Employees called out all the time. Management was poor and way too lax--no structure. Pay was too low for high work expectations. Serious lack of professionalism for all club management and too geared towards sales instead of retaining current members. Club was never cleaned properly and when addressed to management, there were always excuses. NO upward mobility and managers always criticized instead of praised. Managers were un reliable and childish.

Hire managers that are serious about making the club a fitness go-to, not a high school gym.

Unethical and mismanagement.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting people and networking and learning new things about myself for career.

Cons

Dealing with the company and getting them to make the facility better.

People that have a fitness background should be in managing the facilities.

bad

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free membership. that is all.

Cons

bad mouthing of employees to customers. cancelling of memberships of family members of employees when completely unwarranted. manager made phony phone calls to both members and employees. greedy. refusal to give time off, even when the employee needed surgery. cursing out of employees in front of members. pay raises based on favoritism, while taking away money from other employees. payment of employees on training session takes months.