New York Sports Club

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Giardina

Pros:
  • "Free gym membership, co-workers are generally good"
    in 22 reviews
  • "You can get a free gym membership"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance, we were turned into robots, no integrity, no value on what we were offering, terrible hours and 3-4 12 hour days a month"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Just if only the pay was above minimum wage"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Was ok, management was lax and weird hours were unattended

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
    Lake Grove, NY

ProsFree membership, use of facilities...I worked there for a summer and enjoyed being able to work there. I was able to use everything they had to offer and it was very clean and the employees were nice.

Consweird hours as lone employee, lax management. Working their I felt uncomfortable after a certain point as the only employee. late hours were terrible by myself, people would never leave when its time to close.

A rollercoaster ride full of disappointment

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAs a front desk attendant I saw it all. The number one pro was the free membership. SOME of the relationships that spawned from my time at NYSC is still with me till this day.

ConsIt is extremely hard to move up in the company, NYSC makes it seem as if it is easy to move up but it isn't. If you're overweight there's a stigma that you can't possibly help people because of your weight. I have worked at a lot of NYSC and this is not a generalization. THEY DON'T LIKE FAT EMPLOYEES.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully, there has been a massive clean house. Try not to have favoritism amongst the workers and give everyone a chance to move up in the company.

Challenging and conflicting time spent as a NYSC employee.

Swim Instructor (Former Employee)
    White Plains, NY

ProsFree gym membership and access to all areas of Gym.

ConsWorking with children if involved in swim lessons and birthday parties. Also, light cleaning is involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more opportunities for low level employees to move up the chain of command.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good- not Great experience

Program Manager (Former Employee)
    New Rochelle, NY

ProsGood location, nice facility, great co-workers, nice members. The parking was a bit if a nuisance and the company would not pay for anyone under manager status.

ConsLow pay, long hours especially during close-outs, before I quit they had added a 3rd monthly closeout which was ridiculous. I also disliked having to constantly go to surrounding businesses and hand out flyers. Very demeaning.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake it easy on your constant call drives and long hours. The pressure to hit everyday is what drove me away. We were never commended on what we did for the previous month if we didn't hit our goal. A lot it time, effort and energy go into every dollar your staff brings in. Remember that.

Not what I expected it to be.

General Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThese were some of the reasons why I stayed:
    -free gym membership
    -you work with some great people
    -can be a motivational place to work

ConsI was told when I started that I would have an AGM and a FSM but it wasn't in my gym's budget so I only had a FSM for the whole time that I was employed here.
    -benefits are horrible
    -no work life balance
    -low pay
    -structure and direction of company changed for the worst

Advice to Senior Managementcompensation is not equal to job.

The worst example of what health and fitness should be

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Long Beach, NY

ProsNone, the excitement that I had once has for this industry was drained from an emotional vampire (TSI). What a shame that this company continues to he away with what it does. I must believe that at some point karma will catch up to them!

ConsEverything; from the lie that is stated in their mission statement. To the lies it feeds it clientele. There is no coaching nor development. TSI does not invest in their employees!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customers

Downhill

ProsFree gym membership, hours of operation, friendly members and staff, this company has turned from something that awesome four years ago to somewhere that is heading downhill fast.

ConsLow pay, unclean, equipment constantly broke, rules only apply to certain employees, management is not much of assistance, always looking to cut back programs, big decline in membership

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the way it was 4 years ago, the company cared about it's employees at that time.

management and service

Lifeguard (Current Employee)
    Livingston, NJ

Prosfacilities and equipment are complete

Cons(1) From customer point of view, if you need help or inquiry, your acct manager never call back. (2) from employee point of view, very poor management systems, not organized at all. The scheduling for the worker is nightmare, everything is done manually with lots of errors. Workers show up at work with no schedule, or received a last minute call to request to go to work. (3) Always questioning about the payroll systems, where the amount always seems to lower than the hours that workers work for. There has been rumor that management allocate some of the staff hours to make up the manager's 40 hr/week.

Advice to Senior Management(1) Create a call log or service ticket, and track your client service to ensure to get back to customer.
    (2) time sheet to ensure correct hours are booked
    (3) put the worker schedule calendar on the website so every worker can see them

Party coordinator

ProsGreat experience working with children, good tips, easy job

ConsIf working many hours sometimes there is no break.

Membership Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining like fortune 500 company, networking with members, free club use

ConsLong Hours, Salary, Depending on area, sales can be very difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to Staff and

Worked for New York Sports Club? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Sports Club reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York Sports Club CEO Robert Giardina. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by New York Sports Club employees.