New York Sports Club

Updated January 4, 2015
Updated January 4, 2015
2.3

Robert Giardina

Pros
  • Free gym membership and nothing else, even the benefits suck tremendously (in 27 reviews)

• Co-workers were nice, My manager was always considerate and kind, Free Gym membership (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours, Salary, Depending on area, sales can be very difficult (in 8 reviews)

• Serious lack of professionalism for all club management and too geared towards sales instead of retaining current members (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

learned lots of customer service, housekeeping multitasking

I worked at New York Sports Club

Pros

it builds on you, lets you know how to satisfy both needs of customers and management becomes like mini community of itself

Cons

not every customer every manager can be pleased, however you learn to just do what you can do .

RUN for your life!!!

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym membership
    That's it!

Cons

I'll make this simple:
    There is a reason they are always recruiting and lost close to 100 managers in 2013.

Zero support, development or genuine care.

Everyone sitting at the corporate headquarters should be replaced or fired for their poor performance and negligence. Until this happens nothing will change.

Be ethical and fair.

Care about your members and the people that work for you.

Invest in training and development of your staff.

Be accountable for your high turn over ratios.

Not a company that supports work/life balance, even though it's one of their core values.

Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager
    Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting the members and being able to workout daily.

Cons

As a manager, limited time off. Retail hours of 5 am - 11 pm. 12-hr work days. No holidays! Even though they are closed 1 day in the year for Christmas it counts as one of your 2 days off for that week.

Listen to your managers who are running the day-to-day business to understand client needs and industry trends, including classes, equipment and pricing.

Find Work Elsewhere - Don't Waste Your Efforts Here

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Sports Club part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership and a chance to stay healthy and fit.. That is about it. Not much more. Lucky if hired where there is decent management.

Cons

I had a job interview at 86th Street with Manuel Valdez. After a long interview and being asked many questions, I was told by Mr. Valdez that things had changed since we spoke on the phone and that the position was not available. He told me this AFTER the interview was over. The way he led the interview led me to belief that I was a good candidate for the job. I think he used me and this interview process to train a new manager who he asked to join the interview. BAD BUSINESS ETHICS!

This happened towards the end of last year and I was not going to bother with a review, but the unfairness of it all would not leave my mind. Thought it took me this long, I am glad to get it off my chest. I’m glad if I can prevent others from wasting their earnest time and effort in their job search ventures. DO NOT bother with New York Sports Club. Put your effort and valuable time elsewhere!!

Improve your business ethics.

Unethical and mismanagement.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting people and networking and learning new things about myself for career.

Cons

Dealing with the company and getting them to make the facility better.

People that have a fitness background should be in managing the facilities.

Downward Spiral

Former Employee - Front Desk in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Huntington, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free membership. Thats. it.

Cons

Employees called out all the time. Management was poor and way too lax--no structure. Pay was too low for high work expectations. Serious lack of professionalism for all club management and too geared towards sales instead of retaining current members. Club was never cleaned properly and when addressed to management, there were always excuses. NO upward mobility and managers always criticized instead of praised. Managers were un reliable and childish.

Hire managers that are serious about making the club a fitness go-to, not a high school gym.

My stint at NYSC was brief, thank the Gods!

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great workout equipment and as an employee you can use any of the gyms.
    Clean and always plenty of towels.
    The members were friendly and great to work with.

Cons

- Abysmally low pay rates for trainers and reception - you know the old saying "You get what you pay for."

- Incredibly unprofessional behavior, incestuous in house dating / sexual conduct which resulted in favoritism for some and unfair treatment for others.

- A miserly 70 /30 percentage split for personal training sessions in favor of NYSC.

Raise the minimum pay rate of the people that you trust to train your members. ESPECIALLY when you make being certified a prerequisite. ACE cert to make $8 an hour? Really?

Challenging and conflicting time spent as a NYSC employee.

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Swim Instructor in White Plains, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership and access to all areas of Gym.

Cons

Working with children if involved in swim lessons and birthday parties. Also, light cleaning is involved.

Allow more opportunities for low level employees to move up the chain of command.

Good- not Great experience

Former Employee - Program Manager in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location, nice facility, great co-workers, nice members. The parking was a bit if a nuisance and the company would not pay for anyone under manager status.

Cons

Low pay, long hours especially during close-outs, before I quit they had added a 3rd monthly closeout which was ridiculous. I also disliked having to constantly go to surrounding businesses and hand out flyers. Very demeaning.

Take it easy on your constant call drives and long hours. The pressure to hit everyday is what drove me away. We were never commended on what we did for the previous month if we didn't hit our goal. A lot it time, effort and energy go into every dollar your staff brings in. Remember that.

bad

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free membership. that is all.

Cons

bad mouthing of employees to customers. cancelling of memberships of family members of employees when completely unwarranted. manager made phony phone calls to both members and employees. greedy. refusal to give time off, even when the employee needed surgery. cursing out of employees in front of members. pay raises based on favoritism, while taking away money from other employees. payment of employees on training session takes months.