New York State Assembly

Add Photos

Dan Weiller

Legislative Associate

Legislative Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are nice. Fellow employees are very helpful and fun to work with. They are also very professional. Everyone works together.

ConsElected officials have different wants and needs. Most of them are nice and easy to deal with. But everyone knows, some of them are not so easy to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the advice others give you.

Overworked and underpaid.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsGreat vacation time. Flexibility varies depending on the time of year and who your manager is.

ConsNo overtime. Work days can run 15+ hours during session. Great if you love working for free! Limited mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making people stay for the entirety of session, when the days activities are not pertinent to their work.

Great place to work as well as network.

Intern/Legislative Aid (Former Employee) Albany, NY

ProsTeam-oriented environment with great opportunity for growth. Good pay and enjoyable company events.

ConsBalance between work and social life is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management would be that they concern themselves more with an individual's personal situation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid internship. Wish I could've gotten hired to a full-time postition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of lovely people, really good experience for anyone interested in politics/government. Networking opportunity of a lifetime

ConsHours can be brutal during some parts of Session. Work flow fluxes dramatically from one week to the next due to, you guessed it, politics. Old computer system can be frustrating

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate computer systems, stop relying on paper so much. Don't be so steeped in tradition that it battles common sense.

Great place to work. I have been here 13 years, was originally only going to be 2. Time Flies when you're having fun!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsRoom for Advancement
    Friendly Environment
    Easy to balance work/life
    Great Benefits
    Plenty of Sick Leave/Personal time

ConsNo cons that I can think of.

Ways & Means Budget Analyst

Legislative Budget Analyst (Former Employee) Albany, NY

ProsIntense work during Legislative Session, with ability to take compensation time off during summer and fall months.

ConsNot much room for upward mobility. You must move elsewhere to access a management position within a reasonable amount of time. There are politics that play into the upward movement, just like any other organization, but this is to be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training. Expect more from analysts when the legislature is out of session...expect them to be studying any programmatic changes.

Interesting, varied work.

ProsInteresting work. Good benefits. Decent work/life balance.

ConsThe schedule is not your average 9-5 work day. Evening/weekend hours are common.

Very good - given a lot of tasks to allow yourself to reach your full potential. Not as formal as you would think

ProsVery friendly staff
    Made to feel very included
    Cultural food events almost every week - e.g Chinese, Korean, Italian
    Formal when in Chamber - days with no session allowed to wear more casual clothes

ConsVery bureaucratic - so much paper wasted -Phone, fax mail, email all used to communicate same information
    Some useless tasks still done manually - such as circles legislation
    Tech Department quite unhelpful

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on excessive bureaucracy
    Update to more modern forms of communication
    Timetables for events being held made every month would be nice

N/A

Intern (Current Employee)

Prosgovernment, good experience, great people

Consnot a full time job

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Okay place for a couple years, then move on

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou're around a lot of talented people. You can learn a lot about current issues. There are good benefits and your job is fairly secure.

ConsYou often don't control your own schedule. You're tied to dysfunctional budget process. The budget is usally late, so your schedule suffers. Even if you're efficient, you'll still be working late.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that we have lives outside of work. Try to figure out ways to reward efficiency, instead of driving efficient people away.

Worked for New York State Assembly? Contribute to the Community!