New York State Department of Labor

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter M. Rivera

Great opportunity to work with diverse populations

ProsFair compensation and benefits. Employer expectations are clearly defined for the position I hold.

ConsPromotion from within does not provide the best management of human resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide trainings that are relevant to individual offices and managers instead of general training to the whole staff which is very costly and least effective use of time and human resources.

My Experience was just okay.

ProsFriendly coworkers, easy commute, low stress.

ConsUnmotivated, apathetic workforce, little desire to improve.

Important mission, mediocre execution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work is important, and you are given a lot of responsibility. If you are in some titles (Labor Service Representative, for example) there can be a lot of mobility. (In others, much less.)

ConsIt depends on your immediate supervisors, but at worst: Bad/abusive management, a culture of favoritism and retaliation, illogical distribution of work, and stressful interactions with the public. Different divisions have no idea what the others are doing and how their work fits in with the whole picture. No cross-training.

Advice to Senior ManagementDismissing the concerns of staff because they aren't 100% supportive is a waste of a fountain of information.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's the Gov't; you already know the deal

Labor Services Representative (Current Employee)
    White Plains, NY

ProsI work with many people I now consider close friends and the specific work I conduct helps provide an excellent perspective for both the workforce and life in general. I am knowledgeable in many different aspects now, which will be of great value to me in my career going forward. Most of all, I am fortunate to be working.

Excellent leave accrual.

ConsUnfortunately, many colleagues of mine, young and old, are extremely lazy and fall neatly into the stereotype of a civil servant. Being a Gov't entity there is a tremendous amount of red tape and I am continually limited by supervisors in bringing about new ideas and procedures. Interestingly enough though, I do handle many day-to-day functions for individuals who work under different titles and who are higher salaried employees. For one individual in particular, I do essentially all of his work for him and he makes nearly double working for the County.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal Management obviously have their hands tied and get the short end of the stick as well. Any change would have to be implemented by the Governor and considering his lofty political aspirations, one would think he would support major reform to regain favor with a struggling middle class.

Proud to Represent DOL

Labor Services Representative (Current Employee)
    Schenectady, NY

ProsRegular Trainings and Upgrading of Skills
    Benefits

ConsStigma attached to being a "state worker"
    Different divisions are not as Interconnected as they should be to best serve the public

Advice to Senior ManagementBridge the gap between the Division of Unemployment and the Division of Employment and Workforce Solutions so that they work more cohesively together. DEWS should be educated about the unemployment end of things to best serve customer. Make the Telephone Claims Center more accessible.

Worker Bee

Administrative (Former Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsGood security, once you get past probation.

ConsLots of pressure to do work in support of political agenda. The real job gets sidelined.

Very helpful but I still don't have a new career; thinking of having them pay me to go to school for a new career.

Adm, Support, Cust Or Client Services, Adm Assistant (Current Employee)
    Cheektowaga, NY

Prosmake some money to pay my billsI

ConsNo health insurance and I can't afford even the cheapest plan and I can't go anywhere but have to be looking for a job or career everyday,

Advice to Senior Management,Stop descriminating against older workers. I am very well educated, have an extensively varied background and knowledge, proved over 30+ years that I am a hard working loyal worker, and still need to work for 10 - 20 years so give me a break.

A wonderful place to work.

Albany, NY

Proswork environment - everyone is friendly, and a team player, great training, benefits, location, when the rest of the economy is down, dol is promoting and hiring. unemployment is a growth industry.

Conslower starting salary than in the private sector, but ample promotional opportunities.

Realistically, employment at NYS Department of Labor rates about 3 out of 10.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsThe best benefit is time off.

ConsThe management at Labor is generally poor. However, there are a few bright spots.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management at Labor could benefit by takeing some management training.

Great place to work, still a bureacracy...

Senior Employment Securities Clerk (Current Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsSolid supportive staff, excellent benefits.

ConsThe learning curve is unwarrantably high.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the training bible. Replace it with a paperless knowledge-base.

Worked for New York State Department of Labor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York State Department of Labor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York State Department of Labor CEO Peter M. Rivera. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by New York State Department of Labor employees.