New York State Department of Labor

3.5
Peter M. Rivera

1. Labor Service Rep.

Current Employee - Labor Services Representative

I have been working at New York State Department of Labor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and time off. Good hours. The job is not hard. You can meet interesting clients.

Cons

No room for growth unless u take a supervisor test. It can get repetitive and boring. Clients can get irrate.

2. Claims Examiner

Pros

Good training and benefits. It was great to be able to provide customers with community resources and unemployment benefits.

Cons

Office culture was sometimes stressful and co-workers seemed unhappy.

Advice to Management

Have weekly meetings with employees to discuss concerns, strategies, problem-solving, and expectations.

3. A good job if you can deal with the politics

Current Employee - Labor Services Representative

I have been working at New York State Department of Labor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

retirement, benefits, salary level, especially in years we actually get a raise

Cons

Questionable promotions-the most capable are not usually the ones that get the job. Being used as a political ping pong ball in every election.

Advice to Management

More training to supervision, less emphasis on petty things. Let us do our job, and you could be amazed at the result.

5. This is government and public service; the purpose is almost always worthy though funding and mgmt could be better.

Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in New York, NY

Pros

Good boundaries between work and home. Stability if you're permanent. In my location at least, management does recognize and develop motivated staff from within. Above all, you are helping out our communities and people of NY state.

Cons

Offices are somewhat drab and outdated, and computer equipment isn't anything top of the line. Of course,this is a functional work place, not Apple HQ. The public can be confrontational at times, but good tact helps alleviate this. More staff and funding would be helpful.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to let go problematic and non-productive employees.

6. Typical state office, nepotism and politics everywhere, "seniority" rules

Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in Albany, NY

Pros

Time off Work-life balance Job security So-so retirement plan (if hired now) Transparent salary schedules

Cons

Terrible morale Can't fire workers who do nothing, but are permanent employees Everything is political Half the workforce is hourly (read easily fire-able) so they make less and work harder in most cases

Advice to Management

Have consequences for employees that don't work well with others or who don't do their work properly. Reward employees who put in extra effort.

7. Great opportunity to work with diverse populations

Pros

Fair compensation and benefits. Employer expectations are clearly defined for the position I hold.

Cons

Promotion from within does not provide the best management of human resources.

Advice to Management

Provide trainings that are relevant to individual offices and managers instead of general training to the whole staff which is very costly and least effective use of time and human resources.

8. My Experience was just okay.

Pros

Friendly coworkers, easy commute, low stress.

Cons

Unmotivated, apathetic workforce, little desire to improve.

9. Important mission, mediocre execution

I worked at New York State Department of Labor full-time

Pros

The work is important, and you are given a lot of responsibility. If you are in some titles (Labor Service Representative, for example) there can be a lot of mobility. (In others, much less.)

Cons

It depends on your immediate supervisors, but at worst: Bad/abusive management, a culture of favoritism and retaliation, illogical distribution of work, and stressful interactions with the public. Different divisions have no idea what the others are doing and how their work fits in with the whole picture. No cross-training.

Advice to Management

Dismissing the concerns of staff because they aren't 100% supportive is a waste of a fountain of information.

10. It's the Gov't; you already know the deal

Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in White Plains, NY

Pros

I work with many people I now consider close friends and the specific work I conduct helps provide an excellent perspective for both the workforce and life in general. I am knowledgeable in many different aspects now, which will be of great value to me in my career going forward. Most of all, I am fortunate to be working. Excellent leave accrual.

Cons

Unfortunately, many colleagues of mine, young and old, are extremely lazy and fall neatly into the stereotype of a civil servant. Being a Gov't entity there is a tremendous amount of red tape and I am continually limited by supervisors in bringing about new ideas and procedures. Interestingly enough though, I do handle many day-to-day functions for individuals who work under different titles and who are higher salaried employees. For one individual in particular, I do essentially all of his work for him and he makes nearly double working for the County.

Advice to Management

Local Management obviously have their hands tied and get the short end of the stick as well. Any change would have to be implemented by the Governor and considering his lofty political aspirations, one would think he would support major reform to regain favor with a struggling middle class.

11. Proud to Represent DOL

Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at New York State Department of Labor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Regular Trainings and Upgrading of Skills Benefits

Cons

Stigma attached to being a "state worker" Different divisions are not as Interconnected as they should be to best serve the public

Advice to Management

Bridge the gap between the Division of Unemployment and the Division of Employment and Workforce Solutions so that they work more cohesively together. DEWS should be educated about the unemployment end of things to best serve customer. Make the Telephone Claims Center more accessible.

RSS Feed </> Embed