New York State Department of Labor

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
3.6

Peter M. Rivera

Great opportunity to work with diverse populations

I have been working at New York State Department of Labor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair compensation and benefits. Employer expectations are clearly defined for the position I hold.

Cons

Promotion from within does not provide the best management of human resources.

Provide trainings that are relevant to individual offices and managers instead of general training to the whole staff which is very costly and least effective use of time and human resources.

Typical state office, nepotism and politics everywhere, "seniority" rules

Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in Albany, NY

I have been working at New York State Department of Labor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Time off
    Work-life balance
    Job security
    So-so retirement plan (if hired now)
    Transparent salary schedules

Cons

Terrible morale
    Can't fire workers who do nothing, but are permanent employees
    Everything is political
    Half the workforce is hourly (read easily fire-able) so they make less and work harder in most cases

Have consequences for employees that don't work well with others or who don't do their work properly. Reward employees who put in extra effort.

My Experience was just okay.

Pros

Friendly coworkers, easy commute, low stress.

Cons

Unmotivated, apathetic workforce, little desire to improve.

Important mission, mediocre execution

I worked at New York State Department of Labor full-time

Pros

The work is important, and you are given a lot of responsibility. If you are in some titles (Labor Service Representative, for example) there can be a lot of mobility. (In others, much less.)

Cons

It depends on your immediate supervisors, but at worst: Bad/abusive management, a culture of favoritism and retaliation, illogical distribution of work, and stressful interactions with the public. Different divisions have no idea what the others are doing and how their work fits in with the whole picture. No cross-training.

Dismissing the concerns of staff because they aren't 100% supportive is a waste of a fountain of information.

It's the Gov't; you already know the deal

Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in White Plains, NY

Pros

I work with many people I now consider close friends and the specific work I conduct helps provide an excellent perspective for both the workforce and life in general. I am knowledgeable in many different aspects now, which will be of great value to me in my career going forward. Most of all, I am fortunate to be working.

Excellent leave accrual.

Cons

Unfortunately, many colleagues of mine, young and old, are extremely lazy and fall neatly into the stereotype of a civil servant. Being a Gov't entity there is a tremendous amount of red tape and I am continually limited by supervisors in bringing about new ideas and procedures. Interestingly enough though, I do handle many day-to-day functions for individuals who work under different titles and who are higher salaried employees. For one individual in particular, I do essentially all of his work for him and he makes nearly double working for the County.

Local Management obviously have their hands tied and get the short end of the stick as well. Any change would have to be implemented by the Governor and considering his lofty political aspirations, one would think he would support major reform to regain favor with a struggling middle class.

Proud to Represent DOL

Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Labor Services Representative in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at New York State Department of Labor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Regular Trainings and Upgrading of Skills
    Benefits

Cons

Stigma attached to being a "state worker"
    Different divisions are not as Interconnected as they should be to best serve the public

Bridge the gap between the Division of Unemployment and the Division of Employment and Workforce Solutions so that they work more cohesively together. DEWS should be educated about the unemployment end of things to best serve customer. Make the Telephone Claims Center more accessible.

Worker Bee

Former Employee - Administrative in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in Albany, NY

I worked at New York State Department of Labor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good security, once you get past probation.

Cons

Lots of pressure to do work in support of political agenda. The real job gets sidelined.

Very helpful but I still don't have a new career; thinking of having them pay me to go to school for a new career.

Current Employee - Adm, Support, Cust Or Client Services, Adm Assistant in Cheektowaga, NY

I have been working at New York State Department of Labor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

make some money to pay my billsI

Cons

No health insurance and I can't afford even the cheapest plan and I can't go anywhere but have to be looking for a job or career everyday,

,Stop descriminating against older workers. I am very well educated, have an extensively varied background and knowledge, proved over 30+ years that I am a hard working loyal worker, and still need to work for 10 - 20 years so give me a break.

A wonderful place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at New York State Department of Labor

Pros

work environment - everyone is friendly, and a team player, great training, benefits, location, when the rest of the economy is down, dol is promoting and hiring. unemployment is a growth industry.

Cons

lower starting salary than in the private sector, but ample promotional opportunities.

Realistically, employment at NYS Department of Labor rates about 3 out of 10.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Albany, NY

I have been working at New York State Department of Labor

Pros

The best benefit is time off.

Cons

The management at Labor is generally poor. However, there are a few bright spots.

The management at Labor could benefit by takeing some management training.