New York State Office of the Attorney General

CEO

love working there

Former Employee - Consumer Fraud Mediator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consumer Fraud Mediator in New York, NY

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I learned how this specific type of government office is run. When I help someone if was truly satisfying. I attended small claims court with the Assistant AG in charge sat in as a referee for small claims cases.

Cons

I was an intern so my responsibilities were very tedious. There was no route to full employment from an internship.

I would at least provided interns with a stipend. Most importantly I would implement a route for interns to find full employment within this branch of government.

Wonderful experience working with great attorneys.

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General

Pros

Complex litigation experience with well qualified attorneys

Cons

As it is a state run office, all of the set backs including low pay

Great Municipal Office

Former Employee - Consumer Fraud Mediator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consumer Fraud Mediator in New York, NY

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I learned how a specific type of governmental office is run.
    When my work helped someone, it was truly satisfying.
    Attended small claims court when the Assistant AG in charge was arbitrating.

Cons

I was an intern, so my responsibilities were fairly tedious.
    There didn't seem like there was some kind of internal route to full employment from an internship.

NA

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underpaid, Never appreciated, Politics get in the way of justice

Former Employee - Assistant Attorney General  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Attorney General in New York, NY

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There's nothing like knowing that your job (ideally) is to do justice. Being involved in investigations and cases that span the entire state of New York can be exhilarating. Other than salary, you have almost any resource you could ask for. There's a fair level of autonomy over your caseload...

Cons

...but it's very micromanaged when negotiating the final settlements and dispositions of cases. Much of the time the supervisors have little real-world experience (especially in criminal law) and don't know what a case is worth. In other words, you're often instructed to stick to a plea offer that is too high for the crime and background of the defendant. Also, the pay scale is not only ridiculously low, but it's low compared to attorneys who work for the City of New York in similar roles.

Make it easier (or even possible) for lower level "line Assistant Attorneys General" to have access to the top-level execs. In one particular division, however, which is operated almost entirely like a separate entity from the rest of the criminal division, it often feels like family. There is full access to the boss in that separate particular task force.

Law Intern

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General as an intern

Pros

As a law intern I was able to get hands on experience over the summer. The supervisors were also very helpful.

Cons

The office is a little run down and the weekly speakers for the summer interns did not live up to their accolades.

Law Internship

Current Employee - Legal Intern
    Current Employee - Legal Intern

I have been working at New York State Office of the Attorney General as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an undergraduate intern, you will learn a lot. There are a variety of cases you'll work on hand in hand with attorneys and the work hours are great and the environment is friendly

Cons

it's an unpaid internship, sometimes the work is tedious. It's a short internship though 8 weeks long, and the bulk of the work goes to legal interns (in law school)

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Special Auditor Investigator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Special Auditor Investigator in New York, NY

I have been working at New York State Office of the Attorney General full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible, good life work balance

Cons

low salary, hard to advance

better training

Good senior level staff, ok organization culture

Former Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Albany, NY

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Senior staff generally receptive to hearing staff level ideas of how to make the organization more functional.A Allowed for alternate work schedules and were generally flexible with time off.

Cons

If you're not an attorney, difficult organization to get internal promotions. Culture was exclusive to non-attorney staff.

Great Atmosphere to Work In!

Former Employee - Legal Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Very interesting topics of work, lots of communal work, very smart people. Easy going about work hours and flexible.

Cons

Must be patient when building a case and there is a lot of loopholes to go through to get things done.

Good experience

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at New York State Office of the Attorney General part-time for less than a year

Pros

Learned a lot of stuff, get first hand experience

Cons

Travelling from school on weekdays to wall street can be tiring

Worked for New York State Office of the Attorney General? Contribute to the Community!