New York State Office of the Attorney General

CEO

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great training, great colleagues, fun cases and a real sense of public service that makes this place a joy to work. There's a special sense of mission.

Cons

The same downsides of any government job - easy to "retire" while still working, no real accountability, some red tape and stuff like that. But these things were less so than in some other places I've worked.

Rewarding work for those who have the passion for it - hours good, benefits good, things slow

I have been working at New York State Office of the Attorney General full-time

Pros

Liked the work, hours, benefits

Cons

Bureaucracy, colleagues are sometimes less social and passionate than you'd like

Fostering community - open door policies, open to any questions, less strings - more direct communication

Great Internship

Former Employee - Summer/Semester in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer/Semester in New York, NY

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Real exposure, assignments that are important, they let you train for WestlawNest like regular staff, resume booster, great people, there is a great deli inside the building for rainy days, you get a picture with the big guy, nothing gets started until 10:00 AM which is great for commuters or people that are not into mornings, my direct supervisor was a great lawyer and mentor

Cons

sometimes depressing since you will be on excel or word most of the day, a fair amount of the assistant attorney's are miserable and will make you reconsider your life choices in law, unpaid

I was given a great opportunity to work on a helpdesk with a great team

Former Employee - Information Tech Specialist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Information Tech Specialist in Albany, NY

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned how this office conduct business and what went into the planning stages of new IT rollout

Cons

I worked in a diverse group and learned alot of new technical and leadership skills that I can apply to future jobs

Volunteer Assistant Attorney General

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General

Pros

opportunity to handle interesting cases, free CLEs

Cons

unpaid position, micro-management, tedious work

love working there

Former Employee - Consumer Fraud Mediator in New York, NY

Pros

I learned how this specific type of government office is run. When I help someone if was truly satisfying. I attended small claims court with the Assistant AG in charge sat in as a referee for small claims cases.

Cons

I was an intern so my responsibilities were very tedious. There was no route to full employment from an internship.

I would at least provided interns with a stipend. Most importantly I would implement a route for interns to find full employment within this branch of government.

Wonderful experience working with great attorneys.

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General

Pros

Complex litigation experience with well qualified attorneys

Cons

As it is a state run office, all of the set backs including low pay

Great Municipal Office

Former Employee - Consumer Fraud Mediator in New York, NY

Pros

I learned how a specific type of governmental office is run.
    When my work helped someone, it was truly satisfying.
    Attended small claims court when the Assistant AG in charge was arbitrating.

Cons

I was an intern, so my responsibilities were fairly tedious.
    There didn't seem like there was some kind of internal route to full employment from an internship.

NA

Law Intern

I worked at New York State Office of the Attorney General as an intern

Pros

As a law intern I was able to get hands on experience over the summer. The supervisors were also very helpful.

Cons

The office is a little run down and the weekly speakers for the summer interns did not live up to their accolades.

Law Internship

Current Employee - Legal Intern
    Current Employee - Legal Intern

I have been working at New York State Office of the Attorney General as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an undergraduate intern, you will learn a lot. There are a variety of cases you'll work on hand in hand with attorneys and the work hours are great and the environment is friendly

Cons

it's an unpaid internship, sometimes the work is tedious. It's a short internship though 8 weeks long, and the bulk of the work goes to legal interns (in law school)