New York Times

www.nytimes.com

New York Times Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Mark Thompson

Pros
  • Employee satisfaction is important, and a good work/life balance is provided(in 10 reviews)

• Some genuinely smart people work here(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to be responsible for your own career development(in 5 reviews)

• Newspaper industry is struggling(in 5 reviews)

90 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Extraordinary and Maddening

Various Titles Over Many Years (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe best newspaper in the U.S. hands down.

ConsDifferent rules for the business side and news side. That said the media space is a challenging place to work given the change in media buying and revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove Jill! Give that woman a raise!

Middle management has more talent than you think, on the news and business sides. Make it okay to be in middle management. We all don't want to be AMEs or VPs. But take advantage of the expertise, don't shun them.

Keep making the hard decisions in this changing media landscape, but keep the core. The business side has been stellar in keeping the paper afloat--the unsung heroes. They are doing it better than any other comparable media property.

Delivery needs more attention, I can't stand getting the Post or Daily News delivered to my door step! It happens 2-3x a month.

Great place to get started.

Advertising Sales Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat brand to sell and it looks great on your resume.

ConsMediocre benefits, poor work/life depending on manager. The Times used to be ahead of the curve when it came to new technology, but has truly fallen behind it's competitors. Where they used to be pro-active and willing to bring new ideas to the market, they remain stagnant and reactionary.

Smart people making mediocre products.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe New York times is a great workplace. They have an awesome product - the news. The mission is clear, and has a worldwide message.

ConsAs a software engineer, the Digital / website departments continue to get shafted to the whims of the Newsroom. Many promising ideas to innovate in the field of online news production are continually poo-poohed by the newsroom, crippling their attempts to move into a continuing leadership role in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the three or four project directors and tech leads out of the critical path of actually building great software. Their loyalist attitude over the course of my employment caused significant brain drain in the middle and upper developer positions. Create barriers between the newsroom and the development teams, allowing actual innovation to take place - the people have been in place, until they left because of seemingly endemic middle management hassles.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York Times Reporting

Reporter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSharp, knowledgeable, friendly colleagues. Feeling of "family." Resources beyond most publications' dreams. Ability to specialize within area of interest or expertise. Rotating assignments to avoid stagnation. Pride in the product every day.

ConsLong hours, late nights. I don't remember having much time for a social life. Work/life balance is a challenge at this paper (and in the industry).

Advice to Senior ManagementMore personal feedback is in order. Actual job evaluations and feedback from managers was rare (no one had time).

Exhausting, rewarding work. Great colleagues. No other paper like it.

Staff Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

Somewhat pleasant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood benefits such as 401K and medical

Consits a matter of who you know to get ahead

Advice to Senior Managementbe more forthcoming with sharing info

A great company ready for a turnaround

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsStoried history and strong values, continued journalistic excellence, especially in the newsroom. Brilliant people. On the business side, things seem to be turning around under Thompson, the new CEO.

ConsA tough time for the news industry and ad business has meant lower compensation and a brain drain to other companies, especially tech people. It still takes too long to accomplish major projects requiring technological change. Too much studying, not enough doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the new focus. Talk about the plan and vision until everyone knows it by heart. Weed out incompetence. Break the meetings logjams. Increase compensation and perks that encourage longevity and retention. Improve diversity. Foster team building and tear down silos. Listen.

Great Company

Advertising Production (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPay, Benefits, Employee Perks, Reputation, Flexible hours, Many opportunities for advancement

ConsUnion stinks, didn't protect our jobs. Got Outsourced, Print industry declining

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't move to a building you can't afford. Should have stayed at 229 W. 43rd St. and renovated for cheaper! Maybe it would have saved many jobs

Good place for software developers who seek innovation and are self motivated.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood environment for low and mid level software developers. A lot of opportunities to learn and innovate. Flexible work environment. Friendly and smart people.

ConsApart for management positions, no clear advancement paths in technology group. Some cultural problems with development processes and products vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementApply and do what you're talking about.

Political, Slow to Respond to Changes, Great Brand

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- smart people, great brand, competitive salary

Cons- slow to make changes, extremely political environment, too many meetings so it's difficult to get work done, organization structure based on management whim/catering to certain people instead of what makes sense, lack of perks, only 8 vacation days (don't get christmas eve or the day after thanksgiving off?) and no summer fridays or summer perks

Advice to Senior Management- pay more attention to employee satisfaction, perks/benefits are not strong enough (not even free coffee in the building!!) - needs to change to retain talent for a long time (particularly newer employees), more transparency in terms of salary/promotions, reserve budget for teambuilding and social activities -- this is completely ignored and sorely needed to build cross functional effectiveness

Worked for New York Times? Contribute to the Community!