New York Times Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Mark Thompson

Pros
  • Pays well - good work life balance - opportunities for growth (in 12 reviews)

• Some genuinely smart people work here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, weekends and night are required (in 5 reviews)

• Newspaper industry is struggling (in 5 reviews)

Good experience

I worked at New York Times full-time

Pros

The NYT is the newspaper of record. It is a world-class institution transitioning to the digital era. There are many employee perks.

Cons

On the business side, promotions and pay raises are rare. Projects take a long time to complete and lose momentum pretty quickly.

Advice to Management

To grow our audience, the wall between newsroom and business needs to come down. Business side compensation needs to be re-evaluated. A bigger staff is needed in many areas of the company.

2. Amazing Place!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times

Pros

The work-life balance, bonus, and 401k plans are all amazing.

Cons

The cafeteria has average food for average prices. I expected an exclusive cafeteria to be more fancy.

3. Good experience

I have been working at New York Times full-time

Pros

Flexible with working remotely if your role allows, encourages learning and engagement in new and emerging technologies like speaking or attending conferences, open-source gatherings...etc.

Cons

Some work can seem tedious, but given such a huge inventory and history of their data, it's pretty much expected.

Advice to Management

Be more open-minded to prospective candidates without experience. How does one acquire work experience if no one is willing to hire them?

It's a tech company with a mission that matters

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The New York Times is a great place to work. It's large enough that you can easily and quickly progress your career from entry-level engineer to manager and director on the management track or senior engineer and architect on the technology track. But it's also small enough that it feels like a community and you're not lost in a giant company. And, since the Times is a media and technology company you're able to work with a wide diversity of people on a wide range of projects. You could be working on anything from speeding up our homepage to building out a new recipe database, to building tools to cover a hurricane. We do a lot of user testing here at the Times and you get to see first hand how your work helps change people's lives. Also, it's worth mentioning that our building is amazing. It gets great light and is super convenient to anywhere in the region. And everyone gets a real desk.

Cons

The Times isn't a startup and isn't a pure technology company so we lack some of the perks you'd expect at a Google or Facebook. There aren't free lunches or haircuts. We don't have a dozen engineers cordoned off in a corner of the building working on React or Go. Compared to the big players, we're a much more lean operation. It's the media, afterall.

Advice to Management

NYC is a competitive market for engineers and technology is key to our future. We should look at our pay scales and perks and see how we fall in line with other companies in the area to make sure we're attracting the best talent.

Great Place to Grow, Very Smart People

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very smart people, great work-life balance, digital is growing rapidly, lots of opportunities to try different jobs, tuition reimbursement, pretty good benefits

Cons

It's a large, older company so they can be slow to change. Sometimes hoops to jump through as expected in a larger company. Benefits could be a little better (co-pays would be better than co-insurance, and the amount you pay coincides to your income bracket so some people pay quite a lot).

Advice to Management

Sometimes the newest people have the most interesting ideas because they see the situation with fresh eyes. Be open to stepping outside of what's comfortable.

7. Financial Analyst

I have been working at New York Times full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, believes in work/life balance.

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities

8. Great place if you are independent

Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times

Pros

The company is family friendly and a low pressure environment. Never pressure to work nights/weekends. Smart people. Polite atmosphere, no one yells at one another.

Cons

You need to fight for good assignments. I was left with little or nothing to do a lot of the time, which gets demoralizing. Software developers don't have much role in product decision making. Newsroom is where the power resides. Bureaucracy makes decisions and product releases slow, though the company is working to change this.

Advice to Management

Give software developers more access to newsroom, and the opportunity to change assignments or technologies.

9. Intense - but amazing

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times

Pros

Around amazing people all the time. Very intense work ethic, and you're at the center of the universe. Amazing sense of importance with the work you're doing.

Cons

Disproportionately older generations overall, but this isn't really a huge issue, could even make it more worthwhile

Advice to Management

Absolutely amazing time

10. Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at New York Times full-time

Pros

The job was varied because of the client base and large number of products we offered. We worked with cross-functional teams to create dynamic ideas for our clients and that was fun. Plus the clients themselves were terrific.

Cons

I worked for a fearful field office that was lead by a person who screened phone calls. No one asked nor cared that a rep in a field office would want a career path. Strange company, We were required to let the office know when we were walking down the hall to use the restroom.

Advice to Management

Pay attention your field folks and treat the well.

11. Great Place to Work

I worked at New York Times

Pros

The people. It's the New York Times!

Cons

Industry is on the decline.

Advice to Management

Find a way to push print.

RSS Feed </> Embed