New York & Company

Updated November 18, 2014
2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion (in 22 reviews)

• Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Management harass associates about opening credit cards because they obtain a bonus, we do not (in 59 reviews)

• Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work!

Current Employee - HQ Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - HQ Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredible leadership, beautiful new offices for Jan. 2015, positive business structure and inspiring senior leadership.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say. Super happy!

Keep inspiring your staff each day!

Worked in retail store, one of the better retailers to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there was flexibility in hours

Cons

there was as low pay rate and mediocre perks

more incentives when credit cards are opened

APM

Current Employee - Production Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team to work with and lots of exposure in the industry.

Cons

too many unnecessary meetings and people find it hard to make stern decisions.
    Company works on a really tight (unreasonable) calendar for production
    Quality of product is really cheap.

Listen to team members and employees that do the day-day work.

Employees are treated as just a number

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will be able to experience everything you need to know about working in a retail setting

Cons

Employees are treated as just a number
    Easily replaceable
    Unwilling to work with your schedule
    Unpredictable hours

Take a bigger interest in training employees

Not worth your time, associates and managers are both treated horribly. No loyalty to the employees

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brick, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brick, NJ

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits for managers, the work for visual is all laid out by the company so basically you just have to follow the plans they give you.

Cons

Barely any hours for the associates, the employees are treated like they're worthless and the company shows them zero loyalty even after the employees have given a lot to the company. A majority of stores don't receive the necessary clothes for floorsets and the company bears down on anyone who have to improvise.

Get your act together, treat your employees well and show them you really appreciate what they do for your company. Also, don't harp on getting credit so much, maybe if your clothes were worth the price and you didn't accept EVERY single piece of clothing people brought back, you wouldn't need to try and push your card so much.

Not the same company I started with

Former Employee - Store Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Long Island City, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be flexible - allows you to make decisions as you see fit in order to run your business

Cons

Poor leadership from DMs - always critical - nothing positive
    No work life/balance
    Expectations are different for different store managers
    Pushy - political
    No company culture - the focus is basically wear you down until they can break you down

Evaluate your DM's - people leave mostly because of who they work for. You create dictators instead of leaders.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Marketing & Visual in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing & Visual in New York, NY

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You make some great connections with the people here. In the Richard Crystal days, it felt like a large family and made coming to work enjoyable. Under Greg Scott, this place has turned into a bitter, toxic environment. There's no more fun in what I do.

Cons

Executive leadership has gone downhill majorly in the last few years. They don't make good business decisions and leave their teams spinning in circles.

I've never seen a CEO micromanage so much. Greg is involved in the nitty gritty and makes it challenging for individuals to do their jobs. He needs to step away and trust the people they hire. He has no regard for an individuals personal life and therefore does not hesitate to email you all weekend.

It's a very sad "cover yourself" environment, where everyone (including executive leadership) is quick to throw the next person under the bus. No one takes accountability in their departments.

Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered. Consecutive late nights (8/9pm) and many many weekends (over half the year) are unnecessary.

Certain departments only promote based on how long you've been with the company, rather than based on talent and growth. Very political and shady with promotions.

Stop the micromanaging. You hire team members to do their job - let them do it!

HR needs to figure out how to better balance the teams and workloads. They'd have much less turnover if employees weren't getting treated so poorly.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, discount, clothes, friendly, staff

Cons

Little pay slightly above minimum wage

Nomadvice

Horrible work/life balance and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well paid salary, room for growth

Cons

Received no training and had to self-teach, no work/life balance and was expected to work long hours as well as weekends, horrible treatment from manager

Not enough hours! Might leave soon.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing I like about working here is the people that I work with, very friendly, open minded people and ready to help if you're in a problem with a customer. Most jobs don't have that type of environment so that's what I really like about it.

Cons

The hours you work and the days per week aren't set for me. I HATE the "on call" shifts(means you have to call to see if they need you) that I'm on. I find it really stupid that at a retail store there's on call shifts. Last week I worked once, which was 4 hours and the rest of the week I was on call and they didn't need me! Now I'm in college and doing summer classes and working now is a bit difficult because I can't make solid plans with friends or family because of how ridiculous my job has my hours set! My manager is hiring more people now and that means less hours for everyone else! She can't go over 40 hours a week without getting chewed out by her boss, so if it goes over 40 hours she has to cut down hours for people. especially me since I'm still new and only been working a month so far. Plus I don't like how I have to basically harass customers at the register for them to open a NY&C credit card, my manager literally pushes me to get them to open one, and I hate doing it because I find it really rude and awkward how much words I have to put in the customers mouth so that it's better business for the store. If customers are always right, why should I put them in a position I don't want them to be in?

Stop hiring more people if you can't afford enough hours to everyone else. Scheduling needs to be more organized.

New York & Company Photos