New York & Company

Updated December 16, 2014
2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion (in 23 reviews)

• Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • You also have to shove credit cards down customer's throats, and no one likes that (in 63 reviews)

• Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed the people and Clothes!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the flexibility of my schedule. I like the discount I can use on purchases.

Cons

I don't enjoy the on-call process when someone calls out, if I've already planned for the day.

Keep coupon policy consistent

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice working environment. Friendly managers and sales associates. You're always busy on the floor even when there's no rush crowd so you rarely stand around and do nothing. That can be a pro or con.

Cons

There were so many of us sometimes I wouldn't work for two weeks. Other times they couldn't get anyone to fill in for an employ who called in ill. They had on-call sheets which obligated you to leave your leisure day free JUST incase they called you to work. It was infuriating because you can't make plans with friends or family. And if don't come in when you get called, you get in trouble. So in one week's time you could work only twice that week and be on-call 3-4 times that week. Sometimes they call you even if you're not on the sheet. Another thing, you will get to work more hours if you sell many of the store credit cards. If you don't sell any you'll hardly work. Lastly, they never trained me. I was there for 5 months and never received proper register training, and mind you this is my first job ever, and I seemed to encounter a problem frequently and it just ended up wasting time getting the manager, or another employee who has been there longer, to help me.

Better distribution of work hours. Proper training.

Great culture but low pay

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

Good discount offers to associates! Discount changes by the sale but still a discount! You can wear black and white or purchase their items based on policy to wear in the store.

Cons

Low starting pay many just stay for the discounts

Unrealistic Expectations

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

While working for the company I had some outstanding store managers. This is a part time job for me, but the managers worked well with my availability. When I would come into work, even after a difficult day, they always had a smile on their face.

Cons

The biggest downside I saw was that the district manager(s) had extremely unrealistic expectations of the employees (including the associates), especially when they were being paid minimum wage. The employees would work very hard throughout the day to convert customers, boost sales, sell credit, etc., but the district manager(s) would never give them any recognition for their successes and would constantly tear them down for their losses during that day.

Be more considerate of the employees who are working at the store level. I believe that because of the attitudes of higher management, it is very difficult for the company to keep workers.

(In my year with the company, I worked under 4 different store managers and countless number of other associates.)

Definitely a learning experience

I have been working at New York & Company part-time

Pros

There is a pretty nice discount that grows as you progress with the company, the learning curve is not too steep for first time retail workers

Cons

The pay. Our hourly compensation is barely above the minimum wage and it's not dependent on experience. We have girls who have been with the company for YEARS who are making the same as newer associates

Everyone on the store level is very nice... DSMs not so much, very standoffish.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Carmel, IN

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training plan, lots of room to move up

Cons

Anyone above the store level does not care about any one who is not a store sales leader. They treat their assistant store managers the same as sales associates... Here in the "Midbest" I truly don't think the DSM would of known my last name if itwouldn't of been for her having to do my hiring paper work. Too many sign changes everyday. As an assistant manager I took a lot of beating when we were under staffed because I didn't have a child so they made me close 4 or 5 nights a week like my social life didn't matter.

Get to know all the managers in the stores around u they are ur life lines and the only people u can count on!

Love the woman i work with.

Current Employee - Sales in Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Brandon, FL

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love my mangers, if it wasnt for them i would leave.

Cons

They work u like a slave and the pay sucks.. All they care about is credit and more credit. The constant daily store changes are ridiculous. Customers constantly complaning about how they can NEVER EVER use their cupons.

Greed is a terrible thing! We cant keep defending this company if it Doesnt change. This company will continue to loose. Understand people dont have money like that anymore. If u pay attention to the world people are broke n truth be told the clothes are very expensive and the jewelry is way to cheap to be so damn pricey. Compensate your employees because at the end of the day we all have to survive.

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

Honestly can't think of one pro working there.

Cons

Beyond the fact that management doesn't give a crap about you, you are just a number. They encourage you to sell credit cards and if you don't your hours get cut back. You have to put in your time off months in advance even if you're a part timer.

Care about the pee-ons and respect them.

Shell Game

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your peers, subordinates, in some cases- good managers and in all cases- great customers. The pace is fast and if you like doing 3 things at once and working long days/ nights, moving heavy boxes, while on your feet, for mediocre pay then this is the company for you. If you start as an hourly employee you can moved up to store manager especially if you are relocatable.

Cons

Price and promotional changes DAILY! Most often when a customer coupon has been distributed and then sales are bad....the store promos change and terms on signage are added such as "NY DEALS", "Special Finds", etc to void the coupon being eligible. It's a daily shell game of pricing changes. No payroll for stores to make these marketing changes and floor moves, to replenish, to clean or service the customer. We have to face the customer and try to explain or defend the company. The quality of the product is not great, the retail price over-inflated just so it can be promoted at 40% and 50% off. NO investment in employee training. Rarely did we see the District manager or regional. The only time we ever got "extra" hours was to clean up and redo the entire store if we were expecting a rare visit from corporate. Hours didn't matter for those few days to prepare. I think corporate should have been able to see the store in it's natural state.... see what the payroll they give...gets.

1) Surprise visit your stores. It's not pretty. Check out how many hours the store used before your visit. We even had people fly in from another district to help prepare the store while we worked all nighters.
    2) Improve the quality of your product, the fabric, stitching, construction, fit, and wash-ablility.
    3) STOP making your customers angry with the pricing game and making their coupons useless. FAIL
    4) Upper management should hold employee focus groups.

I worked at New York & Company part-time

Pros

Fun co-workers, pretty easy job

Cons

Had to push credit cards onto people even when they told you they wouldn't get approved, bad shift planning (I once had to work 17 days in a row), time off hard to approve

New York & Company Photos