New York & Company

Updated November 24, 2014
2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion (in 23 reviews)

• Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • You also have to shove credit cards down customer's throats, and no one likes that (in 63 reviews)

• Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant store manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at New York & Company full-time

Pros

Great discount, nice employees, and some good customers, is on trend with fashion

Cons

Let customers use coupons, too many promo changes (ie door busters on Saturdays that don't produce money), no work life balance when dm tells you there is one, if you don't like being micromanaged don't john the team!

This is the worst job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monroe, LA

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store manager is one of the best managers I've ever had, but that's about it.

Cons

Customers are rude because NY&Co is really finicky on their coupons. You also have to shove credit cards down customer's throats, and no one likes that. The discount sucks. 99% of the time, you get out cheaper using the online coupons and doing it that way. The pay is the worst. I've got almost 8 years in retail experience, and they still refuse to pay me more than minimum wage. My assistant managers are pretty awful as well. NY&Co's big thing is "Customer First", but my assistant managers care more about putting clothes on mannequins vs helping customers.

Stop with the credit cards. And stop with your coupon exclusions.

ASM

Current Employee - ASM in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - ASM in Louisville, KY

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

40 % discount on clothing, growing outlet division. High turnover so high promotion rate.

Cons

Difficult to keep employees because low rate of pay compared to other retail for same age range. Essentially no payroll to complete anything. Excessive floor changes, that are reworked a week later due to flaws. Company does not keep up with technological advances.

Be more realistic in expectations.

Over-stressed

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay for managers
    great employee discount

Cons

Low pay for sales associates
    No professional cleaning
    ZERO work/life balance
    DSL rude/disrespectful to store managers
    TOO STRESSFUL

Work shouldn't be so stressful that you come home and cry every single day! Especially selling clothes! I shouldn't feel like when I try my best to produce numbers, as well as get ALL the tasks we are given done in the BARE MINIMUM hours we get that I literally hate my life because of my job!! The company needs to pay sales associates more if they only are going to offer 58 hours to be split in between college students!!-you can't expect us to hire people with great availability if you pay hardly nothing! People get jobs to make money..this company expects too much from employees who get paid hardly nothing! invest in some cloth sensors in your clothing!! You don't have us sensor and people know it and walk right out with your stuff! YOURE BASICALLY ASKING THEM TO STEAL IT! You might as well have a sign outside that says "come in and steal our clothes because we don't have enough payroll to do all our tasks, help our customers, AND make sure you don't steal anything! SO GO FOR IT! You can't stop shoplifters in America anyways!!" How about actually train your store managers!! I haven't been offered to be trained ONCE since accepting the position! And it's not like I accepted it last week! It's been over 3 and 1/2 months! COME ON!! DONT WORK HERE!! Go somewhere that pays more and actually appreciate and respects ALL their employees from sales associates all the way to store managers!

Don't work there if you have an education

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

discounts, location, customer interaction, great clothes and accessories

Cons

very low salary, on-call shifts, must force customers to open a credit card account.

Please advise store managers to act like adults. They need to pull employees aside and speak to them if they believe there are issues. Staff need not belittle employees at all, never mind not do it in front of customers. Lastly, if having a sales associate who has more education than all the managers bothers you, then don't hire educated people. No one, regardless of their educational background, deserves to be belittled at work, especially when you only pay $8.15 an hour, and the position does not include benefits. The store manager where I worked could use more training on how to be a reasonable and mature supervisor.

Not the same company I started with

Former Employee - Store Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Long Island City, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be flexible - allows you to make decisions as you see fit in order to run your business

Cons

Poor leadership from DMs - always critical - nothing positive
    No work life/balance
    Expectations are different for different store managers
    Pushy - political
    No company culture - the focus is basically wear you down until they can break you down

Evaluate your DM's - people leave mostly because of who they work for. You create dictators instead of leaders.

Run for the hills

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

Salary on higher end, but it comes at a cost. 20 word minimum? You can wear jeans? Nice discount if you like the product. But that's not saying much...

Cons

No work life balance. No resources. Everyone lives in fear. Low morale. High stress. Majority of employees speak about how they want to quit. Even the new hires admit how they made a poor decision.

Need to get a temperature on employee morale, support, and resources. Long Meetings are inefficient and a forum for people to get "executed" by upper management. Processes are inefficient. These are all reasons people are either quitting or looking to leave. Everything is micromanaged, with team having little confidence in their roles.

New York and Company Short Pump Store

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Pump, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Pump, VA

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good employee discount and location

Cons

The managers were very unprofessional. Did not like having to be "on call" as a sales associate.

Better managers.

Worst retail job ever....stay away at all costs

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was good and it was nice getting paid once a week.

Cons

No work life balance, very unrealistic expectations with payroll given, no professional cleaning service

Stop being penny wise and pound foolish, treat your store managers with respect and support their efforts. Hire a professional cleaning crew. Close during snow storms. Pay managers real overtime. Fire the district manager.

A company fit for a reality show on Bravo!

I worked at New York & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The St. Jude fundraiser. That's it. I have to make this 20 words. There's nothing else positive about this place.

Cons

Worst company I ever worked for. I was brought into a store that was in shambles, right before the holiday rush. I received 3 days of training and then was basically told to fend for myself. My district manager never gave me feedback. Management wasn't stable. Constantly moving people in and out which shows their lack of recruiting. Every time my district and regional manager visited my store, it was more of a social gathering for the 2 rather than a learning experience for me. (They would go shopping for hours at a time and stay in the back the rest of the visit). Upper management has the "throw it against the wall and whatever sticks is what we're going to do," type of decision making. (Forcing us to set up our post Christmas sale in the middle of the day on December 23 with 100 customers in the store. Changing every price sign every day and sometimes twice a day thus answering questions from customers like, "Wasn't this $5 cheaper yesterday?!?!?" And sometimes, "Wasn't this $5 cheaper an hour ago?!?!") The favoritism and drama I've experienced was like nothing I ever seen. If you weren't hired by a certain person, they want nothing to do with you. My DM rarely observed my performance, rather making their decision about me strictly based on what other people have said. That was imminent when my DM would visit, she avoided me and when asking her why, she couldn't give me an answer. My message for the Executives: Before blaming and firing the people in the field, how about looking at the ones who are responsible for delivering your messages (everyone from your DM's and up!). Good luck!

PERSONALLY reassess how your DM's and above are contributing to the company rather than taking someone else's word for it.

New York & Company Photos