New York & Company

Updated February 27, 2015
2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion (in 23 reviews)

• Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • You also have to shove credit cards down customer's throats, and no one likes that (in 63 reviews)

• Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst experience of my life!

Former Employee - Assistant Merchant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchant in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

They talk up a good game with the benefits and flex time available...
    Big company with a great corporate office location right on 34th St

Cons

Expectations are set too high from the moment you walk in on day 1.
    The flex time is a huge lie.. management expected 14 + hour days daily
    Flow of work is ridiculous
    No one is willing to teach
    They expect you to use systems before the actual training for systems even take place
    Horrible place to work

Not what I expected

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

I went in under the impression that there was always room for advancement.

Cons

Store manger was terrible. Never got trained had to learn everything on my own.

If you can work somewhere else, work there

Current Employee - Administrative Asst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Asst in New York, NY

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location, beautiful office, free coffee, sample sales are great and cheap, you will enjoy your peers as you all will find common grown on the fact that you both hate your job and boss

Cons

Micro-managers, long hours, draining meetings, pay rate seems fair until you realize the amount of hours you will actually be working, nothing is streamlined, you will go around the word only to start over, meeting run late into the night daily, and have even rolled into Saturdays, lunches are frowned upon

Completely unconcerned with happiness or WELFARE of employees

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Will work around your schedule if you have schooling or other work/personal obligations. Company has been around a long time and sell quality product for reasonable price and good promotions.

Cons

Will work associates and management into the ground without ensuring the legally required OT, breaks, lunches, etc. are given. Expectations are HIGH but when goals are met, no real accalades are given in any meaningful way. CONSTANT turnover in staff because company puts ZERO effort into training associates into becoming brand superstars... Instead, each store is a revolving door for firing and hiring new, untrained, unprofessional, incompetent associates and management who have no loyalty to the company or the brand. Probably rightfully so, based upon company treatment of employees. Finally, possibly the WORST customer service department of any company in history. Unprofessional, unknowledgable and more importantly RUDE even to store associates who call on customers behalf. As evidence of the companys pure lack of concern about customer satisfaction, there now is NO telephone number available to speak to a person regarding valid concerns or issues. Only email complaints are now allowed and go to a saturated customer service department akin to a black hole.

Put some effort into training and creating cohesive sales "teams" who respect you and the company and therefore feel loyalty to the Brand. To that end, let go of the "endless" gossip ridden, cut-throat, throw everyone under the bus if you do not make your quotas management style... Read a book on business management for goodness sake.

Ehh..

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Customers were first
    -Big store
    -upbeat music for customers

Cons

-Managers were demeaning and disrespectful
    -No training or not enough information on the store and credit cards
    -very disorganized
    -greedy company who think training is reading a big book in the back for hours..didnt give training hours
    -You have to work really hard and long work hours..especially in the kind of environment
    -Work a lot and hard
    -Coworkers were disrespectful and were not trained respect
    -Customers were mean
    pushing credit cards on customers who simply did not need it
    -advertising was not clear and had to explain alot
    -Managers get nasty and mean when quota was not made
    -Dirty store..and not organized on how to keep the store clean or manageable.. as well as giving the information on the company and the values werent not taught..
    -just horrible.. had to get out..

-Need more training and learn respect and teach your employees some respect as well once you learn some..
    -Need a better way to approach credit cards on customers and not push not it
    -learn company values
    -only one manager I really liked and was really helpful and nice to me

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff, as a manager you can hire good workers that fully respect you but NOT the company.

Cons

Where do I start? The company still OWES me PTO. Called benefits several times, the only time you get a call back is when you mention the Better Business Bureau & still NO results. I could of called off my last day & used the PTO but why screw my fellow managers, not shady like NYCO. I was employed under the Greg Scott regime....what a joke. Look at his yearly wage 7 figure + wage, your yearly .10 cent raise & the consistent decline of the company stocks of a little over $2.00 a share. Yes, I bailed when I started monitoring the stocks! Unrealistic expectations on clothing that is junk. They brought in the Eva Mendes collection, pay her a pretty penny & the over priced clothing line is a joke to customers. As far as pushing the credit card, there has to be some kick back from Commenity Bank b/c other stores like V SECRET & Express (that also use Commenity Bank) don't shove the credit card down your throat when you're purchasing. NYCO wants you to sell you soul to the devil for a credit card....again this company is SHADY. Let's also include the new lavish cooperate offices that will not generate sales when you have some shopping stores that barely, I mean barely pass inspections. DM's are puppets that come down on management so hard. They do NOTHING when they come in your store for their every 3mth visit but point out what's wrong never "good job" considering this company gives you NO hours for the store to look good. One more waste w/this company....the unlimited amount of useless marketing they send for their "screw the customer" promo changes! Money wasted on tons of marketing that never gets used. I used to love this store when it was Lerner's & the quality of clothing. Now, I will never shop @ NYCO & I will discourage anyone from shopping or considering employment there.

Start over from the basics, get rid of the High Maintenance CEO.

Over New York and Company's s**t!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My co workers. We have established a great team environment and become very successful.

Cons

To learn from everyone but my company that my store is closing. I would love to be able to get my life in order knowing that this change is coming. What company that really cares about its employees would leave them lost like this? I have had it and this will be my final straw with NY&CO. After all of the years that I have dedicated to this company I have decided that I will never work retail again. New York and company has left a really bad imprint on my life.

Bring back the Richard Crystal days!!

A PRISON

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

People, discount, vacation time, starting salary

Cons

no work life balance, managers are there to push the work down and then leave at 5pm while everyone else is there til 11pm (that isnt an exaggeration) take advantage and abuse power over their vendors, make multiple changes which results in more work and extreme liability amounts,

start helping your employees, stand up to the ceo when things cant be done instead of saying "well go out on it" when you already know the answer. This has created unrealistic expectations from the CEO and more work for your minions

Avoid this place for your health

Former Employee - Brand Headquarters in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Brand Headquarters in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of experience, pay on higher scale for industry, casual dress

Cons

Zero work/life balance, Ladder is very top heavy, HR is sneaky, Processes and expectations are unreasonable and unorganized, Upper Management very unstable and pick favorites, Office politics out of control

Value your people, stop playing games

There are better Companies

Former Employee - Director and Above in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director and Above in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, subordinates and customers.

Cons

Micro managing leadership, long days, too many meetings that start late and end late. Unable to use your skills and experience. Below the executive leadership team you are just a minion. The culture is one where you feel taken for granted, have no work life balance and trust no one especially human resources.

You hire good people at the VP level and below, let then do their job! Treat your employees and customers with more respect, care about your culture and work on the quality of your over-priced clothing. Bring in new leadership especially someone who is competent in the area of talent! One who is unbiased and will focus on the culture, attracting and retaining top talent, focus on training and development.

New York & Company Photos