New York & Company

Updated December 16, 2014
2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion (in 23 reviews)

• Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • You also have to shove credit cards down customer's throats, and no one likes that (in 63 reviews)

• Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Death by a 1000 Tasks.

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Discount on the Clothes.

Cons

Executive Team are experts in Micro Managing everything to the point, nothing gets done. No work life balance at all. Not uncommon for meetings to run 8-9 hours with no food or breaks. Not uncommon to put in 12-14 hour days. People have left after lunch and never came back! People have left after only weeks on the job. Turnover is high, direction inconsistent, and blame is the reward of the day.

Leave so the company can recover and thrive. Treat people like people not tools you beat to death. Try to remember, its just clothes, not nuclear weapons. And, most importantly, have the courage to admit that things are getting worse, not better.

Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

Dress fancy to work

Cons

The worst job I've ever had. I was young (about 17) when I got this job, so I was by far the youngest in the store. I got 0 training and worked a Black Friday shift for my first shift. Was talked down to and in the end i ended up just not even going to work because I hated it so much.

Train your employees and hire some younger ones.

Awful- run the other direction

Former Employee - Store Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Store Sales Leader

I worked at New York & Company full-time

Pros

Discount is good, but quality of clothing is marginal, so I'm not sure it is such a great deal.

Cons

Work life balance is terrible: they never fund stores adequate payroll, they constantly change promos and sales, they have poor salary scale, bonus and incentive program, but above all the worst offensive aspect of the company is the lack of integrity and consistency for the employee. The labor board should investigate them for law violations.

Hire Circus Monkeys at DM level and above, they would show more appreciation than the talent that currently holds that role.

Hated working here.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing is that it was close to my house, thats about it.

Cons

Very nasty workers and managers.
    Low pay and barely offer reliable hours.

Good start off pay but not worth it for so little hours.

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

-flexible schedule for thos who have another job or school.
    -paid weekly $7.80

Cons

-you only get hours if you sell credit card and sometimes they still dont give u hours and they give them to other associates
    - you can't work full time unless your a manager or assistant manager
    -You will never hit 20 hours or sometimes not even 10. Not even on holidays you hit 20 hours
    -Depending at which store you work at, will depend if its boring
    -They go by favoritism

Stop hiring more people when you can give more hours to those who are already working there.

Assistant store manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at New York & Company full-time

Pros

Great discount, nice employees, and some good customers, is on trend with fashion

Cons

Let customers use coupons, too many promo changes (ie door busters on Saturdays that don't produce money), no work life balance when dm tells you there is one, if you don't like being micromanaged don't john the team!

This is the worst job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monroe, LA

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store manager is one of the best managers I've ever had, but that's about it.

Cons

Customers are rude because NY&Co is really finicky on their coupons. You also have to shove credit cards down customer's throats, and no one likes that. The discount sucks. 99% of the time, you get out cheaper using the online coupons and doing it that way. The pay is the worst. I've got almost 8 years in retail experience, and they still refuse to pay me more than minimum wage. My assistant managers are pretty awful as well. NY&Co's big thing is "Customer First", but my assistant managers care more about putting clothes on mannequins vs helping customers.

Stop with the credit cards. And stop with your coupon exclusions.

ASM

Current Employee - ASM in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - ASM in Louisville, KY

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

40 % discount on clothing, growing outlet division. High turnover so high promotion rate.

Cons

Difficult to keep employees because low rate of pay compared to other retail for same age range. Essentially no payroll to complete anything. Excessive floor changes, that are reworked a week later due to flaws. Company does not keep up with technological advances.

Be more realistic in expectations.

Over-stressed

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay for managers
    great employee discount

Cons

Low pay for sales associates
    No professional cleaning
    ZERO work/life balance
    DSL rude/disrespectful to store managers
    TOO STRESSFUL

Work shouldn't be so stressful that you come home and cry every single day! Especially selling clothes! I shouldn't feel like when I try my best to produce numbers, as well as get ALL the tasks we are given done in the BARE MINIMUM hours we get that I literally hate my life because of my job!! The company needs to pay sales associates more if they only are going to offer 58 hours to be split in between college students!!-you can't expect us to hire people with great availability if you pay hardly nothing! People get jobs to make money..this company expects too much from employees who get paid hardly nothing! invest in some cloth sensors in your clothing!! You don't have us sensor and people know it and walk right out with your stuff! YOURE BASICALLY ASKING THEM TO STEAL IT! You might as well have a sign outside that says "come in and steal our clothes because we don't have enough payroll to do all our tasks, help our customers, AND make sure you don't steal anything! SO GO FOR IT! You can't stop shoplifters in America anyways!!" How about actually train your store managers!! I haven't been offered to be trained ONCE since accepting the position! And it's not like I accepted it last week! It's been over 3 and 1/2 months! COME ON!! DONT WORK HERE!! Go somewhere that pays more and actually appreciate and respects ALL their employees from sales associates all the way to store managers!

Don't work there if you have an education

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

discounts, location, customer interaction, great clothes and accessories

Cons

very low salary, on-call shifts, must force customers to open a credit card account.

Please advise store managers to act like adults. They need to pull employees aside and speak to them if they believe there are issues. Staff need not belittle employees at all, never mind not do it in front of customers. Lastly, if having a sales associate who has more education than all the managers bothers you, then don't hire educated people. No one, regardless of their educational background, deserves to be belittled at work, especially when you only pay $8.15 an hour, and the position does not include benefits. The store manager where I worked could use more training on how to be a reasonable and mature supervisor.

New York & Company Photos