New York & Company

Updated October 15, 2014
2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion (in 21 reviews)

• Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Management harass associates about opening credit cards because they obtain a bonus, we do not (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't work there if you have an education

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

discounts, location, customer interaction, great clothes and accessories

Cons

very low salary, on-call shifts, must force customers to open a credit card account.

Please advise store managers to act like adults. They need to pull employees aside and speak to them if they believe there are issues. Staff need not belittle employees at all, never mind not do it in front of customers. Lastly, if having a sales associate who has more education than all the managers bothers you, then don't hire educated people. No one, regardless of their educational background, deserves to be belittled at work, especially when you only pay $8.15 an hour, and the position does not include benefits. The store manager where I worked could use more training on how to be a reasonable and mature supervisor.

Not the same company I started with

Former Employee - Store Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Long Island City, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be flexible - allows you to make decisions as you see fit in order to run your business

Cons

Poor leadership from DMs - always critical - nothing positive
    No work life/balance
    Expectations are different for different store managers
    Pushy - political
    No company culture - the focus is basically wear you down until they can break you down

Evaluate your DM's - people leave mostly because of who they work for. You create dictators instead of leaders.

Run for the hills

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

Salary on higher end, but it comes at a cost. 20 word minimum? You can wear jeans? Nice discount if you like the product. But that's not saying much...

Cons

No work life balance. No resources. Everyone lives in fear. Low morale. High stress. Majority of employees speak about how they want to quit. Even the new hires admit how they made a poor decision.

Need to get a temperature on employee morale, support, and resources. Long Meetings are inefficient and a forum for people to get "executed" by upper management. Processes are inefficient. These are all reasons people are either quitting or looking to leave. Everything is micromanaged, with team having little confidence in their roles.

New York and Company Short Pump Store

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Pump, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Pump, VA

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good employee discount and location

Cons

The managers were very unprofessional. Did not like having to be "on call" as a sales associate.

Better managers.

Worst retail job ever....stay away at all costs

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was good and it was nice getting paid once a week.

Cons

No work life balance, very unrealistic expectations with payroll given, no professional cleaning service

Stop being penny wise and pound foolish, treat your store managers with respect and support their efforts. Hire a professional cleaning crew. Close during snow storms. Pay managers real overtime. Fire the district manager.

A company fit for a reality show on Bravo!

I worked at New York & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The St. Jude fundraiser. That's it. I have to make this 20 words. There's nothing else positive about this place.

Cons

Worst company I ever worked for. I was brought into a store that was in shambles, right before the holiday rush. I received 3 days of training and then was basically told to fend for myself. My district manager never gave me feedback. Management wasn't stable. Constantly moving people in and out which shows their lack of recruiting. Every time my district and regional manager visited my store, it was more of a social gathering for the 2 rather than a learning experience for me. (They would go shopping for hours at a time and stay in the back the rest of the visit). Upper management has the "throw it against the wall and whatever sticks is what we're going to do," type of decision making. (Forcing us to set up our post Christmas sale in the middle of the day on December 23 with 100 customers in the store. Changing every price sign every day and sometimes twice a day thus answering questions from customers like, "Wasn't this $5 cheaper yesterday?!?!?" And sometimes, "Wasn't this $5 cheaper an hour ago?!?!") The favoritism and drama I've experienced was like nothing I ever seen. If you weren't hired by a certain person, they want nothing to do with you. My DM rarely observed my performance, rather making their decision about me strictly based on what other people have said. That was imminent when my DM would visit, she avoided me and when asking her why, she couldn't give me an answer. My message for the Executives: Before blaming and firing the people in the field, how about looking at the ones who are responsible for delivering your messages (everyone from your DM's and up!). Good luck!

PERSONALLY reassess how your DM's and above are contributing to the company rather than taking someone else's word for it.

Good sales people, bad and rude management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts, meeting new people everyday and making friends with them. All sales associates I worked with were super nice.

Cons

Worst management ever. (store & district) They are rude. They think they are better than you. They don't care about you or your personal growth at all. They only care about making money. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants to work in a nice, fun, friendly environment where they can grow.

Stop being rude and selfish. Just because you are a store/district manager doesn't mean you can insult sales associates. You are not better than them.

Assistant manager

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

The store discount.
     The vacation
      Benefits
    Love my store and associates

Cons

Long hours on floor set
    No employee promotion outside of store mgr
    A store mgr and DM holds the cards for your career. Meaning it can go really well or really bad
    Horrible DMs
    Low pay non college graduates on the same level as college graduates in management makes no sense

Listen to your employees and reward them (no pizza party or candy). Create more jobs not just in NYC. Select better DM's

Horrible work/life balance and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well paid salary, room for growth

Cons

Received no training and had to self-teach, no work/life balance and was expected to work long hours as well as weekends, horrible treatment from manager

Horrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-As an employee, your first discount at New York and Company is 50% off. BUT you are not allowed to use any coupons with that, or any other deals.

Cons

-My manager, as well as assistant managers were not helpful at all.
    -The customers are very rude
    -The coupons hardly ever work, so customers end up getting mad at YOU
    -The pay is NOT enough for the job that you are doing
    -NY&C clothes are what they want you to wear, unless you choose to wear a plain black or white blazer.
    -Their clothes are way TOO expensive to buy with the amount of money that they are paying you.
    -Hours are horrible---if you are part-time, expect only 8-12 hours a week. Good luck supporting yourself on that.
    -They push the credit card------and YOU as an associate get NO benefit from it whatsoever----your manager does.
    -Their policy with the credit card 3 No's= yes. News flash: This "technique" does not work at all. Customers just end up getting angry with you.
    -The amount of different sales going on at one time is ridiculous---so everyone is just confused.
    -It's just a horrible company to work for---I dreaded going each day, and even had intense anxiety about it.
    -In conclusion, I would not even want my worst enemy to work at New York & Company

New York & Company is so messed up at this point, they are going to need an INTENSE corporate and store makeover for anyone (customers, as well as employees), to take them seriously again).

New York & Company Photos