New York & Company Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • the discount is great when buying clothes (in 17 reviews)

• None, don't fall for the " employee discount" trust me its not worth it (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to sell the NYC credit cards, clientele is older women (in 52 reviews)

• Work-life balance is often not great, and the staff is spread too thin (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Love it!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

The associates are fabulous people, the customers are quite tame for the usual mall-goers, great benefits/discounts, customer service comes naturally, and managers are all extremely fun and flexible. The initial hourly pay is over minimum wage, which was also unexpected. Training was quite easy and the POS programs were extremely easy to navigate on the registers.

Cons

Barely any hours for part-time associates unless people resigned/were fired.

A company fit for a reality show on Bravo!

I worked at New York & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

The St. Jude fundraiser. That's it. I have to make this 20 words. There's nothing else positive about this place.

Cons

Worst company I ever worked for. I was brought into a store that was in shambles, right before the holiday rush. I received 3 days of training and then was basically told to fend for myself. My district manager never gave me feedback. Management wasn't stable. Constantly moving people in and out which shows their lack of recruiting. Every time my district and regional manager visited my store, it was more of a social gathering for the 2 rather than a learning experience for me. (They would go shopping for hours at a time and stay in the back the rest of the visit). Upper management has the "throw it against the wall and whatever sticks is what we're going to do," type of decision making. (Forcing us to set up our post Christmas sale in the middle of the day on December 23 with 100 customers in the store. Changing every price sign every day and sometimes twice a day thus answering questions from customers like, "Wasn't this $5 cheaper yesterday?!?!?" And sometimes, "Wasn't this $5 cheaper an hour ago?!?!") The favoritism and drama I've experienced was like nothing I ever seen. If you weren't hired by a certain person, they want nothing to do with you. My DM rarely observed my performance, rather making their decision about me strictly based on what other people have said. That was imminent when my DM would visit, she avoided me and when asking her why, she couldn't give me an answer. My message for the Executives: Before blaming and firing the people in the field, how about looking at the ones who are responsible for delivering your messages (everyone from your DM's and up!). Good luck!

PERSONALLY reassess how your DM's and above are contributing to the company rather than taking someone else's word for it.

Good sales people, bad and rude management

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts, meeting new people everyday and making friends with them. All sales associates I worked with were super nice.

Cons

Worst management ever. (store & district) They are rude. They think they are better than you. They don't care about you or your personal growth at all. They only care about making money. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants to work in a nice, fun, friendly environment where they can grow.

Stop being rude and selfish. Just because you are a store/district manager doesn't mean you can insult sales associates. You are not better than them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, MA

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved working with people who were hard workers, great managers and a fast paced work environment.

Cons

Not good pay and didn't carry some items that were fairly popular that the other store did.

I enjoyed working with people that had the same passion for fashion as myself.

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

Great working environment. My co-workers and management team were very friendly and nice. A very fashion forward company for the aspiring business woman. Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well.

Cons

Working during the holidays, such as Black Friday, Christmas, or New Years can be overwhelming. However, that's the case with any retailer.

Assistant manager

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

The store discount.
     The vacation
      Benefits
    Love my store and associates

Cons

Long hours on floor set
    No employee promotion outside of store mgr
    A store mgr and DM holds the cards for your career. Meaning it can go really well or really bad
    Horrible DMs
    Low pay non college graduates on the same level as college graduates in management makes no sense

Listen to your employees and reward them (no pizza party or candy). Create more jobs not just in NYC. Select better DM's

Horrible work/life balance and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well paid salary, room for growth

Cons

Received no training and had to self-teach, no work/life balance and was expected to work long hours as well as weekends, horrible treatment from manager

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY

I worked at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, discount, clothes, friendly, staff

Cons

Little pay slightly above minimum wage

Nomadvice

Not My Ideal Retail Job

Current Employee - Management Support Associate
    Current Employee - Management Support Associate

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

My manager is very good about supporting her employees and she has helped me further my experience/position within the company multiple times.

Cons

-Unless you are Assistant Store Manager or higher you cannot work full time.
    -The company is extremely focused on pushing the credit card, and we recently started using a different method to goal ourselves on credit. It used to be by precent so if we had 100 transactions, and 20 of those were returns, and 30 of those people already had cards, we had 50 opportunities to open a new card. Our credit goal was always around 6% for the day, so we would need roughly 8 cards to meet our goal for that day. Slightly confusing at first, but it takes into consideration the people who wouldn't have the chance to open a card, so it is practical. Now, the new way disregards the people who already have cards with us, takes our hard numbers from last year, and just increases that number randomly for this year. Unfortunately this makes no sense as at least half of our customers are repeat customers and already have a card. Our customer base isn't really growing but our goals are. They don't understand that we can't sell cards to the people who opened last year.
    -The clothes are TERRIBLE quality.
    -We also do not have the payroll for anything, and we are constantly understaffed. We often fall behind on freight and metro because during the week we do not have more than two person coverage, so we either have to focus on customer service or tasking, never both.
    -We have storewide promotional changes every couple of days that switch back and forth constantly. Just this week Sunday-wednesday was all pants b1g1 free, everything else b1g1 50%, Thursday was b1g1 free pants and everything else 40%, and this morning (Friday) we switched back to b1g1 free pants and everything else b1g1 50%. And of course we don't have the coverage/time to get these changes doe efficiently.
    -There have been some new policies put into place called "Customer First" that are utterly ludicrous. I am all about exceptional customer service, but these policies are essentially "the only rule is there are no rules", meaning customers get to do whatever they want. Oh, your Redline item says "final sale" on all the marketing in the store, on your receipt, and I explicitly told you, yet you STILL insist on returning it? Ok, sure, no problem! And your coupons state they are not combinable with NY Deals, Doorbusters, Redlines or other coupons but I have to apply them anyway because you're screaming at me? Great! Yeah. Seriously NY&C, why bother wasting the ink on the written policies if it doesn't matter?
    -I really don't like the behavior of the women who shop here. Most of the customers are very stuck up, rude, and will fling the words "I'm calling corporate" in your face for the smallest thing. I am always very polite and as accommodating necessary, but on multiple occasions I have been yelled at/verbally abused for stupid things like declining a coupon if it does not combine with a sale. Our store's traffic is split equally between 30-50 year old upper middle class white women and black or hispanic women whose shop the sales then their cards get declined at the register.
    -Lastly, the music is an annoying mix of 1 Direction and club mix Hip Hop music. Nothing our target customer or any of the employees want to listen to.

Please sort out the promo changes, find a better way to goal for credit (come on, 24 cards in a week is insanity if we couldn't even make 14 cards last week), allot more payroll hours, and set some guidelines that customers cannot get around just with a quick complaint to upper management. They're grown women who should realize the consequences of buying final sale items without a trip to the fitting room first.

Hang ON!!!

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of different experiences fast! It's like New York... if you want fast paced and room to grow, it is amazing for that.

Cons

It's fast! If you get behind in the workload you are in trouble. But if you strive for that sort of thing to keep up you will be fine.

Listen to your customers more. They are willing and happy to tell you what they want. Employees have lives too. Remember what holidays are all about please

Worked for New York & Company? Contribute to the Community!