New York & Company Reviews

Updated August 30, 2014

2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • the discount is great when buying clothes (in 17 reviews)

• None, don't fall for the " employee discount" trust me its not worth it (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to sell the NYC credit cards, clientele is older women (in 52 reviews)

• Work-life balance is often not great, and the staff is spread too thin (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Very fun place to work.

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

30% discount on clothes, flexible hours, great management.

Cons

Weekend work and management hounds you about pushing the credit card.

The requirements of the job are to push that credit card...I hated it!

Worst retail job ever....stay away at all costs

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount was good and it was nice getting paid once a week.

Cons

No work life balance, very unrealistic expectations with payroll given, no professional cleaning service

Stop being penny wise and pound foolish, treat your store managers with respect and support their efforts. Hire a professional cleaning crew. Close during snow storms. Pay managers real overtime. Fire the district manager.

Okay Experience

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers
    Merchandise is beautiful
    Discount is great
    Music in the store is exciting

Cons

The pressure to sell credit cards is too much. If you don't meet your nightly goal, you get in trouble with the manager.

Maybe less pressure on the credit cards; pretty much anyone who wants a credit card already has one since the store has very loyal repeat customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company fit for a reality show on Bravo!

I worked at New York & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

The St. Jude fundraiser. That's it. I have to make this 20 words. There's nothing else positive about this place.

Cons

Worst company I ever worked for. I was brought into a store that was in shambles, right before the holiday rush. I received 3 days of training and then was basically told to fend for myself. My district manager never gave me feedback. Management wasn't stable. Constantly moving people in and out which shows their lack of recruiting. Every time my district and regional manager visited my store, it was more of a social gathering for the 2 rather than a learning experience for me. (They would go shopping for hours at a time and stay in the back the rest of the visit). Upper management has the "throw it against the wall and whatever sticks is what we're going to do," type of decision making. (Forcing us to set up our post Christmas sale in the middle of the day on December 23 with 100 customers in the store. Changing every price sign every day and sometimes twice a day thus answering questions from customers like, "Wasn't this $5 cheaper yesterday?!?!?" And sometimes, "Wasn't this $5 cheaper an hour ago?!?!") The favoritism and drama I've experienced was like nothing I ever seen. If you weren't hired by a certain person, they want nothing to do with you. My DM rarely observed my performance, rather making their decision about me strictly based on what other people have said. That was imminent when my DM would visit, she avoided me and when asking her why, she couldn't give me an answer. My message for the Executives: Before blaming and firing the people in the field, how about looking at the ones who are responsible for delivering your messages (everyone from your DM's and up!). Good luck!

PERSONALLY reassess how your DM's and above are contributing to the company rather than taking someone else's word for it.

Crazy hours, but the people you work with make it all worth while!

Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at New York & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay and benefits are pretty great. The people I work with are some of the hardest working people I know. I have so much respect for the work ethic of my store manager and my district manager! Also, everyone is usually very friendly and easy to work with. We truly are a customer-first environment.

Cons

There are difficult customers from time to time, but that is expected at any retail store. I don't like how overtime is only $4 an hour because that is usually just blown away with taxes. You definitely put in a lot of overtime at this company, so getting paid half-time for overtime is not acceptable.

Overtime should not be half-time. I love the new customer first movement set in place!

Semi fair. No room to grow

Current Employee - Store Management
    Current Employee - Store Management

I have been working at New York & Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good salaries and benefits. Tuition reimbursement 80 percent of cost. I like the people I work with. Sometimes not enough support to accomplish tasks.

Cons

Lack of payroll to execute projects timely and accurate. Sometime your best is still not good enough.

Give your teams the support and tools they need to be successful.

Good sales people, bad and rude management

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts, meeting new people everyday and making friends with them. All sales associates I worked with were super nice.

Cons

Worst management ever. (store & district) They are rude. They think they are better than you. They don't care about you or your personal growth at all. They only care about making money. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants to work in a nice, fun, friendly environment where they can grow.

Stop being rude and selfish. Just because you are a store/district manager doesn't mean you can insult sales associates. You are not better than them.

Assistant manager

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

The store discount.
     The vacation
      Benefits
    Love my store and associates

Cons

Long hours on floor set
    No employee promotion outside of store mgr
    A store mgr and DM holds the cards for your career. Meaning it can go really well or really bad
    Horrible DMs
    Low pay non college graduates on the same level as college graduates in management makes no sense

Listen to your employees and reward them (no pizza party or candy). Create more jobs not just in NYC. Select better DM's

Horrible work/life balance and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well paid salary, room for growth

Cons

Received no training and had to self-teach, no work/life balance and was expected to work long hours as well as weekends, horrible treatment from manager

Ehhh...if you're desperate

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion. You get paid every week.

Cons

The company does not trust their employees whatsoever. If you're not full time your hours are crap. The pressure of opening new store card accounts. Lack of growth within the company. Low raises on all levels. Store managers have this privileged attitude, as if their life is more important than than rest of their management team ie never working on Sundays, never closing on Saturdays.

Stop showing favoritism towards certain employees. Give stores visual directives with more notice.

Worked for New York & Company? Contribute to the Community!