New York & Company

Updated December 16, 2014
2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion (in 23 reviews)

• Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • You also have to shove credit cards down customer's throats, and no one likes that (in 63 reviews)

• Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Over worked and little thanks.

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

Great employers, great customers. Also always busy!

Cons

The store manager never keeps his word. Hours always changing, paycheck never right. And to much work drama. People don't clean up after there self

Please stay true to your employers. Get your store in order and notice the people that really care for the company.

Hostile manager and never ending credit card sale demands

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. There are none. Nada.

Cons

Hostile manager, ugly clothing, annoying cheap customers, and never ending demands to sell company credit cards. Customers, naturally, didn't like to be pushed into buying them.

Stop the pressure on employees to sell credit cards.

Communication needs improvement.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Regional Manager is very nice, and friendly made me feel as if I was truly apart of the NYCO family. She totally trusted all of my inputs and my thoughts on merchandising and operations. Talked to me as if were a colleague instead of her employee. Worked with me one on one to get more merchandise out from back stock to sales floor.

Great discounts and great PTO time.

Cons

Manager directs from office and not the sales floor; no communication between managers. Questions and concerns are not handled instead we are referred to the "survival guide" rather than being dealt with in person. There is not a culture of mentoring or taking the opportunity to teach and coach in order to improve the team.

Respectful and effective communication is key in a business environment. Management that is supportive and has an interest in coaching in the moment will have a productive and successful team. Sensitive coaching moments should not be handled on the sales floor in front of customers or store staff.

Not worth your time, associates and managers are both treated horribly. No loyalty to the employees

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brick, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brick, NJ

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits for managers, the work for visual is all laid out by the company so basically you just have to follow the plans they give you.

Cons

Barely any hours for the associates, the employees are treated like they're worthless and the company shows them zero loyalty even after the employees have given a lot to the company. A majority of stores don't receive the necessary clothes for floorsets and the company bears down on anyone who have to improvise.

Get your act together, treat your employees well and show them you really appreciate what they do for your company. Also, don't harp on getting credit so much, maybe if your clothes were worth the price and you didn't accept EVERY single piece of clothing people brought back, you wouldn't need to try and push your card so much.

I loved it there

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

time off, benefits, employees, customers were all great! great place to work

Cons

promotions were limited with in the region

keep doing what you're doing! it is working!

New York, New York!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at New York & Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work, Can Advance quickly through the position.

Cons

Not enough hours and pay isn't great.

Be More organized with your shipping and safety to staff, some stores don't even have air conditioning. Shipping boxes stacked everywhere at back and can hardly move and is a fire hazard.

New York & Company was a great summer job but nothing long-term, it's gets frustrating after awhile.

Former Employee - Cashier in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Alexandria, VA

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was great and the sales discount wasn't so bad. I wouldn't complain about having enough hours for the week and you were able to connect with the managers if working everyday.

Cons

Not enough employees and working random late hours. There was a list full of employees yet not enough people working with the run backs, register, dressing room, and in the back.

Love it!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The associates are fabulous people, the customers are quite tame for the usual mall-goers, great benefits/discounts, customer service comes naturally, and managers are all extremely fun and flexible. The initial hourly pay is over minimum wage, which was also unexpected. Training was quite easy and the POS programs were extremely easy to navigate on the registers.

Cons

Barely any hours for part-time associates unless people resigned/were fired.

Not the same company I started with

Former Employee - Store Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Long Island City, NY

I worked at New York & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be flexible - allows you to make decisions as you see fit in order to run your business

Cons

Poor leadership from DMs - always critical - nothing positive
    No work life/balance
    Expectations are different for different store managers
    Pushy - political
    No company culture - the focus is basically wear you down until they can break you down

Evaluate your DM's - people leave mostly because of who they work for. You create dictators instead of leaders.

Don't work there if you have an education

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

discounts, location, customer interaction, great clothes and accessories

Cons

very low salary, on-call shifts, must force customers to open a credit card account.

Please advise store managers to act like adults. They need to pull employees aside and speak to them if they believe there are issues. Staff need not belittle employees at all, never mind not do it in front of customers. Lastly, if having a sales associate who has more education than all the managers bothers you, then don't hire educated people. No one, regardless of their educational background, deserves to be belittled at work, especially when you only pay $8.15 an hour, and the position does not include benefits. The store manager where I worked could use more training on how to be a reasonable and mature supervisor.

New York & Company Photos