New York & Company Reviews

1. sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Daly City, CA

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

Flexible hours, low-stress and easy job, good job to have while in school.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, and very little room for growth within the company.

Advice to Management

The management team needs to learn how to promote within since they are the people who know the ins and outs of the company.

2. Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Valley Stream, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Valley Stream, NY

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seasonal work has the potential to become permanent..
    The most needed shift coverage seems to be in the afternoons/evenings (great if you're in school, have another job, or just not an early riser).
    Employee discount from ranging from 15% and up depending on the day.
    Fast paced = never boring.
    Typically an all female staff.

Cons

The work is tiring and requires lots of walking, standing, stooping, crouching and lifting. (you wont need a gym membership anymore).
    Shifts that start late can end very very late into the night. Near or after midnight isn't uncommon.
    Employee discount is usually less than the coupon discounts offered to the customers.
    There are so many responsibilities it's often difficult to finish any single task. Or you may only complete a few small tasks due to frequent interruptions.
    High turnover.
    Typically an all female staff. Its a pro and a con.
    Last on the list is amusing but still merits a mention- The manager holds/wears the key to the bathroom. It can be inconvenient to say the least and if you need to go frequently...

Advice to Management

I haven't been there long enough to know exactly how things work (or how they are meant to work in optimal conditions) but perhaps an hour or two could be set for prior to opening to enable employees to accomplish certain tasks without interruptions. Getting a dozen small tasks checked off the to-do list late at night at the end of shifts when staff energy is waning doesn't appear to be effective.
    Allow employees the option to use available coupon codes instead of their employee discount on transactions.

3. Not Worth It

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Constantly talking to people makes you better at it
    -Fellow sales associates are usually nice to be around
    -You're not unemployed

Cons

-No breaks
    -Practically harassing customers to open credit cards
    -Hours based on credit cards sold
    -Inconsistent scheduling
    -On-call shifts
    -Gas money paychecks
    -Upper management

I started out as a seasonal associate, but got bumped up to part-time because they desperately needed people. I know NJ doesn't legally make the employer give rest or meal breaks, but working six hours during the holiday season without a break is crazy. Eight hours before a break? C'mon. Now I understand that selling things is a part of my job as a sales associate but this is beyond selling. I'm practically harassing customers to open credit cards. Three no's before giving up? As a customer that would just turn me off the store completely. And how many of these cards you sell determine how many hours you get which is completely unfair because some days, or weeks even, are slower than others. The inconsistent scheduling is already a problem, but now on-call shifts are thrown in the equation and you can't even make plans for that day because you don't know if you're working or not. Which seems like an awful lot of sacrifice for the amount of pay received. During the holiday season, I thought I could make a little money to buy some gifts for family. I figured since they needed alot of hands on deck, I would get a decent amount of hours and thus, a decent amount of money. Nope. I hardly got scheduled, and when I actually had to go in, I was stretched very thin because it was usually just me and one other person working the entire store. So I found myself consistently busting my butt for a $38 paycheck. The people in upper management need a serious attitude adjustment. Just because someone doesn't make as much as you, doesn't make them less of a person, or any less deserving of respect. Also, if you and your coworkers spend alot of time getting the fundraising number up, don't expect to see an ounce of a reward or even gratitude. It all goes to upper management. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Think about the lowly sales associate. Don't force us to push deals and make goals and give the reward solely to management. It's not right.

5. Slave - long long hours

Former Employee - Assistant Merchant
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchant

I worked at New York & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned how to swim in a really tough and fast environment

Cons

Too many recaps, I would come in at 7am and not leave until 9-11pm a lot of nights. Too disorganized and upper management changes their minds too much which effect bottom line.

6. Assistant Sales Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

Paid time off for full time

Cons

Unorganized, Makes it hard to please customers when they send out coupons that are not valid on anything in the store

7. No care/respect for employees

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

the absolute only pro that comes to mind is the discount, versus other companies discounts, that is it!!

Cons

The leadership is so off balance, disorganized, all over the place. The employees of Massachusetts are clearly not important, can't even get one simple form out of the human resource department that Massachusetts residents NEED in order to file state taxes. NO ONE CARES!!! Push? All they do is PUSH for credits, St Jude at holiday season, if you like to be pushed all the time and held accountable for not making the results they expect you to, then this is the right company for you!!

Advice to Management

Leadership is horrible, too much favoritism, not enough honesty or integrity.

8. It is decent for retail

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sicklerville, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sicklerville, NJ

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

It's a small store everyone is close and has a good relationship.

Cons

Underpaid, district managers weren't nice and cold fire or move someone to a different location when ever they wanted

Advice to Management

Don't let DMs make decisions of who should be fired.

9. Fast paced retail work

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at New York & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers were willing to work with my tricky schedule. The pay was good considering many other retail jobs are minimum wage and they offered a great discount. The work is fast paced and there is always something to do. Co workers were supportive and kept an upbeat attitude.

Cons

They did not schedule enough employees to close. I often had to stay at least two hours after closing just to clean up the store. Double standard with the dress code depending on employees body types. The music was often too loud and many customers complained about this to me. Did not like the on call aspect of the job.

Advice to Management

Make sure there is good communication between the managers on duty and the sales associates. I often found that when two or more managers were one the floor there was always some confusion. Please have more help at closing.

10. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

Positive atmosphere
    Good pay
    Friendly coworkers
    personal growth

Cons

Difficult customers
    slow days
    not enough hours

Lots of talented people, but a work culture that stifles any change or creativity

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

The product teams (tech, design, sourcing) are all really great people who know what they're doing and are mostly quite good at it. Pay is higher than what you'd find in the fashion industry

Cons

Executive management is terrified of change and innovation, completely unwilling to take risks even though playing it safe has proven not to be the best strategy either (just look at the stock prices). They're quick to point fingers and will not take any accountability.

Advice to Management

Grow some balls.

New York & Company Photos