NewAlta

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alan Cadotte

Field Supervisor politics and Sr Op buddy system is a killer of a great company overall

Solids Control Technician (Former Employee) Three Rivers, TX

ProsNewalta provides top rate training for it's field operators. They provide the proper PPE and they keep it coming every week by allowing the operators to submit a needs list.

Conslower management inter-office political backstabbing, "buddy" favoritism, and rampant dishonesty breaking down trust between operators and management

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Field Supervisors and Sr Operators maintain a level of dishonest politics with the operators. Overall the company could be a great company if not for the petty politics hindering lower level management.

Several different areas

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNada. Once you think you are comfortable and working with management that has your best interests, someone in management gets fired, new hire will come in and clean house. No matter what you do it is NEVER enough.

ConsPlease see cons. No work life balance. This company looks perfect on paper but in reality, it is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your staff, or you will not have any.

4th class Process operator

Process Operator (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

Prosrealy Great place to start

Consthere is no steam hours

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, but way too much bureaucracy, lots of nepotism, and politics.

Senior Operator (Former Employee) Leduc, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat benefits, respectful work atmosphere, competitive wages, environmentally conscious, successful business model and strategy.

ConsHuge disconnect between managers/coordinators and field personnel. Poor communication, or office staff just don't 'get it'. Managers and coordinators make decisions or order equipment which field personnel know wont work, because they don't ask/listen to experience field staff. Ridiculous amounts of money get wasted.

Lack of discipline among lower level office staff, ie./ Coordinators take unrecorded 'sick days' frequently, extended lunch breaks, show up late chronically and upon arriving to work make themselves breakfast in the lunchroom, or running personal errands during work hours. This is really bad for morale of the shop guys and operators who see a big double standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture is that it's operations job to facilitate an easy job for the coordinators (rather than coordinators facilitating efficient operations). There needs to be a cultural shift amongst coordinators. A good first step is hiring coordinators with some field experience.

More effort needs to be put into getting better discipline amongst lower-level office staff. Take steps to limit nepotism. Too many coordinators think they will become a manager not through merit or performance, but through nepotism.

Do the math. How many of the office staff all used to work with each other at previous work places at the maintenance shop?

Northern Alberta Operator: High turnover, poor management.

Operator (Former Employee)

ProsThe money is great, and the benefits are awesome. I was very pleased with my bi monthly paycheck. They were willing to do education assistance and help with your career goals.

ConsI was a former operator at a facility up north. Coming to the facility I was very, very optimistic with the operations and the goals of the company. I enjoyed my first year there very much. However, when we changed managers and supervisors, I found the new district manager neglected our facility. The manager was very hard to reason with, he was very by the book and there didn't seem to be much human factor during conversations with him.

When he started as our new district manager, I found my fellow operators leaving/quitting because he was so unreasonable. I orientated 8 new operators at the facility. I stayed patient, but the branch manager blamed the problems of the facility on me. "ACCOUNTABILITY" was his reasoning, even though I was doing my best to make the plant a better place. I wasn't able to get the proper resources or guidance with him managing. Many operators would agree.

Promises were not kept, he was not a man of his word and would only keep his word if it was written down. Not written down= Didn't happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your promises. Don't try to raise the morale of operators and not change anything. Stop telling the operators to "Challenge" Themselves. They are your front line men/woman. Put your self in their shoes.

Don't neglect your facilities that aren't high in revenue. Treat all facilities equally. Yes you may have a shining, top facility that has awesome revenue, but don't forget about the other plants. They have faithful operators who want to make things better. Having no morale at a facility will mean high turnover, and unhappy operators are definitely not as productive.

Broad general statements instead of a plan

Manager (Former Employee) Burlington, ON (Canada)

ProsAmazing benefits ; reasonable financial compensation

ConsPreparing financial guesses weekly is not a substitute for a plan.
    Annual restructuring exercises in Ontario
    Very weak and junior people in leadership roles

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a plan; relying on the statement we are a company of values is comical

Loved working here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros- Great people
    - Great benefits
    - Great office location (Calgary) with a gym

Cons- Monthly safety meetings arent really needed for the people working in the downtown Calgary office. They seem to be a waste of time honestly

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing a great job. I loved working for Newalta and if I get the chance, I'll work for Newalta again.

I enjoyed working at Newalta - the work was fulfilling and the people were great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a large company which allowed for a lot of growth as well as the opportunity to move laterally into a different position in another department.

ConsIt is a large company and at times, the bureaucracy was frustrating.

Politically challenged environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood work/life balance. Lots of good employees who care about the company and each other.

ConsDifficult to navigate the political landscape. Executives do not follow through on promises. Ethically questionable decisions from Leadership. Lack of long term vision for the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit using the "Newalta culture" as a crutch for how things are done. Different ways of looking can be a good thing if nutured properly.

Ok for a while and getting some experience on resume. Not suitable for long term career.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsLoved the work-life balance. Salary was competitive enough. In HQ, environment was ok in my role with a good manager. Lots of free facilities: gym, parking, TV lounges, restaurant.

ConsOffice politics at its worst. Disliked the non-accounting senior management. Revolving door ... no staff retention. Career progression available ... only for people who senior management either likes or relatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementCleanup of the senior ranks. Bring in people who have experience in changing the culture and making it better for employees. No favouritism. Minimal office politics. Career progression based on education, experience and work history.

Worked for NewAlta? Contribute to the Community!