NewDay USA Reviews

85 reviews filtered by
3.5
NewDay USA CEO Robert Posner
Robert Posner

Pros
  • They reward their employees for their hard work and dedication (in 11 reviews)

• For those on here who bash NewDay, they are weak individuals who don't deserve the opportunity to make six-figures in the first two years (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours are long but you are compensated for it (in 8 reviews)

• Obviously the work life balance is a no brainer (in 6 reviews)

1. I love my job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fulton, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fulton, MD

I have been working at NewDay USA

Pros

New Day rewards hard work and always provides new opportunities! I've worksd in multiple departments and have learned more than I ever expected. I couldn't imagin working somewhere else.

Cons

New Day is going through some growing pains and with that there is some confusion and a lack of expirence in all departments but in the bright side it opens up management opportunities for anyone who is willing and able to step up.

Advice to Management

Don't focus on so many different things at one time, it speads resources too thin.

Apr 6, 2015

Thank you for your support and your acknowledgement of the opportunity here! Your comments are appreciated.

2. Sales

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fulton, MD

I worked at NewDay USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many, but they do pay for your licensing. So take what you can and gooooooo.

Cons

Mgmt, Morale, Discrimination, Hours and Pay . . . . Grass isn't always greener, but if you are not happy at NewDay . . . get out. Don't spend one more day trying to drink the Kool-Aid. GET OUT and quickly.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter as the CEO is a narcissists and manipulative.

Get out before the boat sinks

Former Employee - Account Executvie in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Account Executvie in Columbia, MD

I worked at NewDay USA (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, only place that will hire unlicesned account executives and train them. The Sales floor non managers are great.

Cons

Where to begin.Lots of issues. The main reason i left and lots of other employees left is due to upper management disrespecting employees times, i ll provide two examples of this. It would be friday and management would call a meeting saying even if you have off tomorrow(saturday) your required to work all day. Also, your not getting paid for the full day. THey called this "kamikiza" ie working 11 hours. This happened numerous times in the winter when they called kamikaza thursday, friday and saturday.
    Example 2, this happens a lot as well. Management has no idea what there doing. Some days it will be 12:30, employees will be out to lunch and management will send an email saying "10 minutes mandatory meeting", no notice or anything like that because they dont care what there employees are doing. THe mindset for management is "when we say jump they say how high". A few times i would be waking up at 7 and see that management just sent an email out saying meeting at 8. They really couldnt have emailed the day before?

The culture has drastically changd. The mindset is "well thats newday" when they give one very little notice on anything ie kamakaza saturday or when they give little notice to a meeting all the employees will just say "well thats newday"
    One manager in particular was supposed to take a weekend trip(saturday and sunday) which he had planned on his saturday off, friday comes and upper management says mandatory meeting on saturday. employee asks manager if he can miss the meeting, upper manager says "sir we need you," so he shows up to the meeting. Meeting never ended up occuring. "well thats newday"

To wrap this up Newday has company wide meetings in which the CEO belittles employees in front of other employees. He has made fun of an employees ears, said another one looked strange, and asked a female upper manager if she should be fired.

They require you to bring in outside employees to work, if you dont, you have to attend meetings, get yelled out and threatend to get fired as well as lose out on compensation. Any good company wouldnt do this because if the company was good an employee would naturally tell others about it. Clearly Newday realizes its not a good company and has to force people to do this. People are working 60 hours a week, when should they find time to do this? Shouldnt they be more concerned with employees booking loans and retaining there current employees? They dont care at all about retaining there employees, if they did they wouldnt care as much as they did about finding new ones.

Advice to Management

Understand what work life balance means. It doesnt mean make a lot of money. It means balance your work with things outside of it, thats it. The CEO makes things up about what it means but thats what it means. Most of the employees still there have huge student loan debt or other debts and are just waiting out there time to leave. The board needs to replace Rob with someone who actually understands work life balance and has respect for there employees.

These are just a few issues, theres a LOT more. For any current employee reading this, newday isnt the only mortgage company out there, it doesnt hurt to look around and see whats out there.

Frustrating, unorganized, discouraging, over promise and under deliver - cannot recommend.

Former Employee - Staff Employee in Fulton, MD
    Former Employee - Staff Employee in Fulton, MD

I worked at NewDay USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I appreciated the confidence management had in me to take on additional responsibilities. In retrospect, they were forced to do so because of lack of resources and poor planning.

Cons

1. I felt taken advantage of and disrespected when an increase in responsibility was not matched with a consistent increase in compensation. If those additional responsibilities did not add value to the firm in the opinion of management, it should be communicated to me that I would not be taking on responsibilities that added enough value to warrant an increase in compensation.
    2. A consistent theme throughout my two years here has been overpromising and under delivering.
    3. When I had supervisory responsibilities, I approached several leaders in the department about how an exemplary team member of mine really deserved an increase in compensation due to additional responsibilities they had taken on that were adding great value to our team. Over the next several months this person was not approached to discuss their exemplary performance by senior leaders. I felt extremely disappointed. It felt very wrong.
    4. I can only speak to my experience as a “staff” team member, but I felt under paid and under appreciated.
    5. As a person who has very ambitious goals and a work ethic that I have observed to be above average, my hard work has not paid off at all at NewDay. How could I recommend someone to work here when I am not satisfied?
    6. No performance appraisal program: I cannot understate the importance of having a robust performance appraisal program. There needs to be a clear line of communication between employees and their managers as to what is expected of them and how they can improve their work and achieve their goals. This is non-existent at NewDay.
    7. I have had a handful of managers over my two years here and I would say that my managers, like me, did not have a well defined set of responsibilities and were pressured to take on responsibilities that:
           A. They were not passionate about or
           B. Were beyond their capacity to effectively manage
    I also felt like managers were not empowered to voice their opinion if it was not in line with the cultural norm (i.e. I have a person on my team that deserves a raise and I need to go to battle for this person to help them get what they have earned).
    8. CEO makes ALL decisions and is NOT an effective leader
    9. The the NewDay Recruiting Team posts almost ALL positive reviews on Glassdoor and other review sites
    10. Employees were asked by managers to complete employee satisfaction surveys favorably in order for NewDay to get on "Baltimore's Best Places to Work" list - a reflection on leadership's willingness to cut corners and act in an unethical manner
    11. NewDay recently settled a probe by the CFPB for unethical marketing practices (public information).
    12. Even in a staff position, long hours are required and you do not receive overtime.

Advice to Management

Suggestions for Rob and senior leadership: Get ahead of inevitable wage inflation pressures, it does not have to be much, but at least reward loyal/committed employees with cost of living adjustments to their wages; Pay overtime to employees to show that you care about them having to work 10-11 hour days; Decentralize operational decision-making responsibilities; Empower your senior managers to manage their own budgets and innovate within their departments; Do you want to hire and retain the very best people in the mortgage industry? Then commit to investing in human capital. Empirical evidence shows that for every dollar invested in physical capital and intellectual property it should be matched 1-to-1 with investment in human capital. As labor market conditions in the U.S. continue to tighten, be a leader in the industry in creating a workplace that rewards superior performance and pays a premium for it. Deliver on your commitment to this. I believe so passionately that this is the path to success for NewDay USA.

Apr 6, 2015

Thank you for your candid comments. It is unfortunate that this was not a positive work experience for you. NewDay is growing rapidly as a result of the demand for our business. We are doing our ... More

6. Anything in life worth having is worth working for!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fulton, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fulton, MD

I have been working at NewDay USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NewDay USA us a great place to work, with tremendous opportunity to for young people. There are a lot of men and women in their mid- 20s doing very great for themselves in leadership positions. The company is full of young hard working people which makes the atmosphere enjoyable.
    There is extensive training that is provided by the company, as well as licensing.
    The leads you receive are all inbound, therefore no cold calling.
    Promotes only from within

Cons

The hours can be very demanding for some people.
    The licensing test is difficult and you must pass in order to maintain working here

Feb 20, 2015Director, Social Media/ Exec Asst to the CEO

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate and value your honest feedback.

Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fulton, MD

I worked at NewDay USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With hard work, sacrifice, and a lot of luck, you have the potential to make great money working for NewDay.

Cons

Hmm where to begin. Foremost, I was hired for one department, then transferred to another without my approval. My training class started with 25 + recent college grads. Before they fired me, the class was down to around 4 people. The turnover rate is ridiculous, and account executives are fired consistently without legitimate reason. AKA no job security. The majority of managers are pretentious, love to show off their money, and exhibit a self-inflated, egocentric managerial style. In my experience, the products were disadvantageous for the customer which is really sad, considering the company's purpose is to give back to the veteran community. For me, it was a waste of time. Be smart, don't drink the Koolaid, and find an ethical company that actually values its employees!

Feb 20, 2015Director, Social Media/ Exec Asst to the CEO

Thank you for posting a review on NewDay, and we're sorry you had a disappointing experience. No employer can be all things for everyone, and we wish you the best in your next position.

8. Angry people write reviews, happy people don't

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fulton, MD

I worked at NewDay USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great compensation. Paid training. Paid licensing worth over 3,000. Great information and training in mortgages and real estate knowledge. Helping veterans is a feel-good job. If you can pass a reasonably difficult test, it's a great opportunity for hard working people to make over 100k and get into management. No door to door or cold calls.

Cons

Long hours. Difficult to get past interviews. Difficult test to get a license, which is required to work.

9. NewDay USA- work hard, play hard

I have been working at NewDay USA full-time

Pros

NewDay's unofficial moto is "work hard play hard". While the hours can definitely be longer than what would be expected, the rewards can be huge. The company does a great job of celebrating its employees and milestones but does expect a lot in return. There are huge opportunities to be taken advantage of as the company is continuely expanding. One of my favorite things about this company is it's ability to promote from within. Hard work is recognized. With that being said, I do not think the hard work and long hours are explained to prospective employees or new hires in a way that makes them see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. I do think it is possible to have a decent work-life balance but I think it depends on what your perspective of that balance is. NewDay will never be a 9-5 company based on the nature of the business- I don't know anyone in sales that is 9-5 solely.

Cons

At the end of the day, this is a sales company. People do get fired and things are constantly changing due to the ever-evolving environment of the industry. This is not a good company to be a part of if you are unable to adapt to change. During my time with NewDay, I have seen the company grow and change a lot- for the better. This makes me want to see where the company goes, as I believe things could only get better. With that being said, I wish there was more cross-training for everyone. I think it would be extremely beneficial for everyone to know what the different departments are responsible for and what affects them directly and indirectly. I would like to see more diversity in the workplace as well; the office can sometimes resemble a frat house.

Advice to Management

More clarity as to what is expected to excel in each position and what each individual needs to do to get to that next level, whether it be to a leadership position or to a different department. More training for managers how to be leaders on a regular basis.

10. The opportunities you want are here, its up to you to take advantage of those opportunities when they're presented.

I have been working at NewDay USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company provides the platform for you to succeed and to make a career in the mortgage industry. The training program is very extensive and comprehensive and provides a very sound base of knowledge about the industry. One of the best things about this company is the potential for advancement. Its not like many other companies where seniority trumps all; whether you've been with the company for 5 months or 5 years, if you excel at your job and prove that you have the knowledge and skill to be a leader you can be promoted into a management position. One of the other best things about the company are the people. It is a very competitive environment where your production is constantly measured against your peers, however almost everyone in the building is more than willing to help the person next to them so that everyone can succeed. Its a rare thing to find a corporate environment where you're competing directly with the person next to you yet they will stop what they're doing to help you without even a second thought. If you're willing to put the work in, there's no limit to the amount of knowledge and growth you can attain working for this company.

Cons

This company and this industry as a whole are very production based. With that being said, in order to produce at a high level the hours can get a bit long at times; especially around the end of the month when we're pushing to get everything closed we can. This definitely can affect your work-life balance and its important to make sure the nature of this business is explained to those in your life or it can put a strain on relationships (family, friends, partners, etc.). The company and industry are constantly changing, so this company may not be the best fit for you if you're not good at dealing with change and adapting to new situations. They provide plenty of PTO, however the problem can come up where you don't have very much time to actually use it. As mentioned previously this is a very competitive environment and its necessary to produce in order to increase your income. Taking off too many days can hurt your production; so while you are alotted plenty of PTO, it can be difficult to find good times to take those days without potentially hurting your production or your income.

11. do not work there

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at NewDay USA

Pros

there are no good pros

Cons

from the ground up the company is not well.

Advice to Management

there is no guideness

Feb 20, 2015Director, Social Media/ Exec Asst to the CEO

Thank you for posting a review, and we're sorry you did not have a good experience here. No company can be everything for everybody, but we do value your feedback.