NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Reviews

203 reviews filtered by
3.8
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital CEO Steven J. Corwin
Steven J. Corwin

Pros
  • Great benefits, good pay, great co-workers to share concerns with after work hours (in 16 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, easy commute to the city (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very early and late meetings, no ability for work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• As stated they nickel and dime every item related to patient care without a second thought (in 6 reviews)

1. Medically advanced patient care, with a smile.

Current Employee - RN in New York, NY
    Current Employee - RN in New York, NY

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

Very well known medical center, also a large teaching hospital with staff very attentive to team work. Health care staff is very respectful of other staff members, and patients as well.

Cons

Location is inconvenient -- 15 minute walk from 6 train. If you care, nurses are not unionized, as they are at NYP Columbia.

2. A secure place to work, where helping others can sometimes be overshadowed by overwork and trivial details.

Current Employee - Bacteriology Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bacteriology Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

Prestigious hospital and the opportunity to be a part of something that helps people.

Cons

Endless "makework" in terms of self-assessments, multiple webinars (although good, they are incessant and the workload is already very high) and quizzes. Pay is not equivalent to similar positions elsewhere around the city.

The hospital institution paradigm is a difficult one to manage, to be sure. However, management constantly wants to show "appreciation" to staff by having an umbrella gift day (a cheap China-made that everybody complained about falling apart when they got wet!), or cheezy insulated lunch totes, whose seams started coming apart almost immediately...key rings, visors...you name. Crappy throw-away items, nobody wants (that come in voluminous boxes -- all from China) is what management thinks is "appreciation". Instead just give us the $2 each, they spend on these things. Save the environment by not using resources to produce crap nobody wants and then goes straight to the landfill. Failing that, send appreciation letters...don't insult us with crap every 6 months!!!

If your looking for a dream job here it is!

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in New York, NY

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful, management are always there to address concerns and the benefits are great!! Senior nurses (especially night nurses) are very helpful to new nurses like myself in adjusting to this new field and they take us under their wing. Flexibility of work schedule makes it a bit easier to manage work and family life, especially during family emergencies. When there are issues, senior managment take the time to discuss it with you and follow up with you. Also, the emphasis on not only caring for the patient but also the family is an great message and is really incorperated into daily care.

Cons

Staffing is organized by census and not by accuity level of the pateints on the floor making hard on occasion to manage work load, at least in the NICU where I work. Besides that there really isn't anything I can think of.

They are very encouraging and helpful to staff nurses and are great.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Project Leader
    Current Employee - Project Leader

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

New York Presbyterian offers Job Stability. It also has patient safety at the very core of everything it does. So much so that non clinical staff feel like they are directly impacting patient outcomes. The institution also has reasonable benefits and a culture of respect. It is a place where there are several opportunities for growth, however these involve one applying to those opportunities as against being promoted to fill those positions. Overall, the experience is great and there is a genuine team spirit.

Cons

The communication between the different disciplines. Clinicians and auxiliary staff often do not communicate their needs to each other efficiently.

Keep the communication lines open

Fantastic place to work and grow-- up to a point.

Former Employee - Black Belt in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Black Belt in New York, NY

I worked at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

Its a place that is really helping people and saving lives. From a quality of life perspective: as an employee, there is a great respect for work-life balance--: the most incredible vacation allotment, the best healthcare benefits of anyone I know, a retirement contribution plan in a different league from any other company I've heard of, and a general respect for work-life balance adhered to even by management. Its a large place, but that means there is a lot of room to move around over the years-- I've never run into a place where I've met as many people that have worked at the same place for over 20 years as NYP.

Cons

Fairly political, and career advancement is definitely depending on political connections within the organization. Senior management seems to have good intentions and hearts in the right place, but not always executed in the most common-sense way. Found it hard to advance past a certain level because of lack of personal connections throughout the organization.

Keep walking the walk, as you've been doing: Senior Management does make rounds and observes and interacts with the lowest levels-- keep it up because reports don't tell the truth, seeing with your own eyes is the only way you will get that, as well as foment buy in from staff that you really care.

excited new hire

Current Employee - Med Tech in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Med Tech in New York, NY

I have been working at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

It is the most prestigious hospital in the state of New York. It has a wonderful benefits package which includes 4 weeks paid vacation for new time employees. Everyone who works there seems happy and getting new equipment for departments is never a hassle. I however cannot say too much because I was just recently hired.

Cons

Because it is such a good hospital if one day I wanted to leave to travel for a while, it would be difficult to be rehired because I would be one their "record." Because it is such a large hospital you become very specialized in one field and would be difficult to find a new job elsewhere.

I cannot say

Analyst's Review

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

The compensation was decent for a hospital in New York City. In addition, the healthcare plan was spectacular, as well as the time off. We recieved 20 vacation days and 6 plus sick days.

Cons

The company did not offer adequate training of specific programs. In addition, there was no job growth, managers were hired from outside the company (from companys such as Blue Cross) and they expected analyst to "do" the work and not "learn" or ask question. Perhaps, this was only the case in the group I worked.

Provide adequate training for employees professional development. As time passes, employees may be seen as incompetent on an industry level if this continues.

9. Overall a very nice place to work.

I worked at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

Depending with the people whom you work with, the majority of employees at NYP are very nice and helpful with one another. However, you would occasionally come across some real gems.

Cons

There are some people who don not know how to leave their personal problems at home. Instead they bring it to work and make others around them miserable.

Perhaps weeding out the bad employees is a good idea. Overall the leadership in this place is pretty good. You guys do a good job.

average

I worked at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

stress free environment. Regular income, enjoy family life. good work life balance. nice place to be in if growth is not your requirement

Cons

less growth opportunity. not a best place for cutting edge technology. should be able to adjust to hospital environment and setting.

grab the opportunity to use technology to gain competitive advantage and help in hospital operations. technology could save a lot of operational cost.

11. Happy to work there.

I worked at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Pros

Overwall this was a great place to work. Amazing experience for any new grad or professsional who wants to be on the cutting edge of Healthcare.

Cons

There really are no downsides. Its sometimes hard to work with health professionals in training. Sometimes short staffing is an issue.

My advice to management would be to have more flexible shifts. Pay more for weekend coverage and night coverage. Otherwise management very professional.

NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Photos