Newark Element 14 Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

New Systems Needed

I have been working at Newark Element 14

Pros

I am learning a lot about the industry and the people at the company are good to work with. Everyone is helpful and collaborative. Work life balance is good.

Cons

The company's internal systems and technology are extremely old and out of date. Also, many people have been at the company for 20, 30, 35 years and are not open to new ways of working or new technology.

Advice to Management

Investments in new systems are needed.

Worst Experience Of My Professional Life

Former Employee - Customer Account Specialist in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Account Specialist in Richfield, OH

I worked at Newark Element 14

Pros

Some co-workers were very nice, company likes to raise money for local charities. They bring in outside sources for lunch that you have to pay for.

Cons

Back-stabbing managers and co-workers. Human resource department is a joke. They like to mass hire and put you in a class room with 6-12 other new workers, they rush you through training. The job description at hire was unclear, ended up doing something totally different than I expected. Basically it is a typical call center and everything is about your production numbers.

Advice to Management

Stop with the behavior-based interviews, hire people that have skills. Also quit bragging about how so many people have had multiple positions in a short time. Those are just people that go from one department to another without much change in compensation.

Years at Newark

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not too bad. Comp not bad.

Cons

everyone is nervous about consolidation

Advice to Management

lead

Good company to gain experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaffney, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaffney, SC

I have been working at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to gain experience. Company does a good job of promoting within as well as providing classes and other tools for management growth.

Cons

The biggest challenge and frustration is the terrible communication from upper management. Company gives terrible and unfair raises. If you do happen to move up they consider it more often to be a lateral move with terrible compensation. HR does not show that they care.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Need better benefits.

6. Great team in highly dysfunctional organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about this company is my team. My colleagues are smart, creative, hard working, fun to be around.

Cons

Management is micromanaging employees. It take forever to make any decision in situation when acting fast is crucial, instead they split hairs in fear of the responsibility for eventual failure. But usually the lower employees are to blame for it, as managers rather spend a couple days to find the scope goat than to focus on how to find a quick fix. Budget goals are set up high and when numbers don’t much, they just fire people, as this is the fastest way to find spare back. Then, when is too much work for the people left, they outsource, hire cheaper and do the brainstorming on how to make the company more efficient. Nothing really comes out from these meetings. They don’t appreciate talent at all. I wish I could say I look up at my supervisors and be motivated by them, but unfortunately I have no respect for them, since they are incompetent, lazy and two faced, moody. Not inspirational at all, just trying to get by. Poor communications skills: you will never find out directly and clearly what are your areas of improvement, you are just not there yet, very discouraging and demotivating, but you quickly learn, that the only way to get promoted is self PR and brown nosing. You also learn to read between lines, do not trust the official company’s propaganda and be afraid of change as nothing good ever comes out of it. You will be expected to evaluate your own work: the annual appraisal works this way, you need to write down pages of self assessment and give it on the plate, so you can get your 2% annual salary increase yeay!; no matter how hard you try. And you will have to try hard, since projects are managed here very poorly, without preparation, on a fly, without content, budget and there is a load of them, while always some of the tools you are given –hardware or software - work poorly. You will be also expected to entertain yourself and your colleagues for your own money and time. It’s called engagement activities. Company is rather folding, and being global means automated processes in one place (UK) for all the regions. This process has started already and affected finance dep..

Advice to Management

Read Glassdoor reviews.

Ridiculous!!

Former Employee - Business Development in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Business Development in Richfield, OH

I worked at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people who I worked with.

Cons

If you don't drink the cool-aid, you will be misrable. Theress no advancement opportunities mainly lateral moves. Management has no clue what their doing and will throw anyone under the bus to save their own butts. Don't get comfortable because whatever your doing will change in the next 10 minutes. When something is working they change it, when its not working they wont make changes. EXTREMELY micromanaged. When you do well it goes un noticed. When you are told to improve and do, they will move onto something else your not doing right Entry level "jobs" with entry level pay......Good luck on commision if you can exceed the absolute ridiculous goals they set lo

Advice to Management

Get rid of 99% of your so called Managers and Managers Assistance. Just because they kiss the right butt doesn't mean they have the right qualifications

I should have been gone a long time ago...

I have been working at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a great opportunity when you are first starting off at a career. Good benefits, basic pay, friendly environment.

Cons

The leadership is ever changing. Especially at the sales center. It's a popularity contest to get most roles in the organization. The reporting tools and systems are OLD and make it difficult to do your job...any job involving sales, product, customer service, and marketing to an extent. Start here but move after 1-2 years on any job.

Advice to Management

Update the computer systems already, pick a focus and stick to it, hold management accountable sooner, pay long term employees better, treat tenured employees better, not every new person is the best and deserves more pay then those who have been there.

Keep on Looking...

I have been working at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some nice people to work with

Cons

Toxic work environment; Low compensation - unless in director or above positions; Employees not financially rewarded for work - management takes credit & bonuses. Poorly run business - always mortgaging every quarter for the next. Run by UK based management who believes the North American market is 'just like the UK'. Frustrating place to work if you view yourself as a high-performing, positive person. If you are a follower, cheerleader type, do not have an opinion, and enjoys brown-nosing to get a head, you'll excel in this work environment.

Advice to Management

Quit adding more executives; evaluate what you currently have and what they actual contribution is to the business. Consider adding more people to actually do the work and compensating them with financial rewards vs. ice cream socials. Invest in a ERP system vs. telling people you're 'global' when you're really a regional business with regional systems. Invest in inventory - view it as an asset NOT a liability. Evaluate why the business has not actually grown in over 10 years, while the inventory levels have stayed the same. Stop hiring people from Arrow and positioning them as any thing short of a 'good ole boy' hire. Seriously investigate how managers and HR treats employees, obvious bullying is permitted. Conduct a 360 review on people in this department with a broad base of people from every department & employees with 5+ years of service. Stop surveying employees to 'pulse' the work place morale...it's obvious the prior surveys have not been read....hoping you'll have enough employees leave to obtain a favorable result is not a productive strategy.

Bad enviroument

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vocations and location are good ,if you cant find a job somewhere else this can be not too bad to get your feet wet

Cons

Bad Management,below average salaries,unprofessional IT Team mostly Russian and eastern European with really bad attitude,very limited resources and growth opportunities

Advice to Management

have a vision,hire more diverse Team and pay attention to whats going on

11. Ample development opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Richfield, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Richfield, OH

I have been working at Newark Element 14 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, great people, great place to work and grow! This is a career for me, not a job.

Cons

For us to be the front runner in high service electronic component distribution, we are far behind when it comes to our systems. Our warehouse picking system, our CRM software, and our order maintenance system are quite outdated, and cause major issues on the back end.

Advice to Management

Pay some money for better systems.

RSS Feed </> Embed