Newark, New Jersey

excellent

Former Employee - Meter Reader
    Former Employee - Meter Reader

I worked at Newark, New Jersey full-time

Pros

Working In a city you were born and raised

Cons

Crime,unemployment, No recreation,limited job opportunities

Get rid of nepotism

An Outstanding Place To Work

Former Employee - Data Control Clerk/Administrative Support in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Control Clerk/Administrative Support in Newark, NJ

I worked at Newark, New Jersey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is very hands-on, and moving up the departmental ladder isn't hard to do at all. You are actually needed there, by staff and the public.

Cons

I didn't foresee any negative aspects for working at the Newark One Stop Career Center, or at the Newark Mayor's Office. I was displaced because of down-sizing during the employment crunch of 2010.

The only advice that I would have to management would be to; keep up the great work, and continue moving forward with recruiting new companies so that you can afford to assist many more people.

Okay place to stagnate or to look a another job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Newark, New Jersey

Pros

Decent benefits. Salary was resonable.

Cons

Company is owned by a UK parent, and the lack of thought given to how to deal with differences in work culture between cultures and continents was extremely apparent. Particularly with regards to attitudes toward management and authority.

The Chicago building is a complete dump.

Despite the company remaining profitable the entire time I worked there, there was a constant threat of furloughs and layoffs as well as cancelled business travel and holiday parties. They even cancelled monthly birthday cakes. I know business is business, but the general vibe is that these measures are taken to preserve executive bonuses. Whether that's completely true or not, it speaks volumes as to the general morale here.

This company made me pee in a cup (something I'll submit to if I have to, but find degrading and object to on principle for jobs not involving safety issues or heavy machinery), but didn't bother to call my job references when I was hired. Something that sticks in my mind as far as warped priorities are concerned.

Promotions to managers were done seemingly without rhyme or reason. Management as a skill and an art was completely neglected. Talent was lost due simply to personality conflicts between inexperienced managers and workers.

In my group at least, work-like balance was completely disregarded. I was compensated reasonably for the position on paper, but not for the dysfunctional expectations.

Put some thought into how managing people in the US (and other countries) might present unique challenges. A singsong, maddeningly perma-smiling British accent enjoining us to "delight the customer" may not play to a North American audience wanting more straight talk.

Implement peer reviews and most importantly, reviews of your managers. Otherwise people may end up climbing the corporate ladder, leaving destruction in their wake.

This company is having a lot of trouble attracting the kind of talent that will allow it to survive the transition from old-school sales organization to ecommerce success. Think about why.

It's OK

I worked at Newark, New Jersey

Pros

Good experience and good co-workers. It's management you need to look out for.

Cons

I just read the last review...They will make you pee in a cup - this shows very little trust in your employees and it's hard to believe that people still do this. I passed it was fine - I don't do drugs - but the whole process is kind of a setup for what distrust management will show towards you in the future. I should have expected something was up when they told me about the test. Isn't a background check enough? A lot of real cultural workplace issues - definitely a con being owned by a UK company.

Try to bridge the cultural divide between UK and US work culture

Newark, New Jersey Photos