Newbury Comics

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
2.9

Michael Dreese

Good if you're high up... not so much if you're down low.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, NH

I worked at Newbury Comics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best thing I can think about is matching for your 401k. They will match 100% up to a certain amount from each of your paychecks. Also, you get a regular discount of I *think* 20%, and you get 60% off of apparel. Anything you can wear. Jewelry, shoes, clothing, accessories.

Cons

I worked in a REALLY run-down store in Salem, NH. There were house centipedes. The back room would occasionally get inches of water in it when it rained heavily because of the state of the building. There were dead insects in all of the drop-ceiling light tiles. Spiderwebs and dead insects in the front window displays. The store manager keeps a similar personal hygiene and he didn't like to do much physical work so it wasn't surprising that he didn't bother to keep the store clean. The pay was low. Less than $9.00/hr.

You should really pay attention to your lower-rung employees. A lot of them are very smart and very motivated with a lot of promise. The store managers should really be setting an example for the other employees. Personal hygiene and willingness to work and help out are qualities the people running the stores should have.

Fun...for a hobby

Former Employee - Keyholder in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Providence, RI

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with friends, meeting interesting people. its a real plus to listen to music all day long.

Cons

This company is a joke in regards to compensation and advancement. You can't ever move up unless you're sleeping with your boys or have boned the TM. most of the managers are either drunk on the job or screwing around with their employees.

Get your act together and part your employees a livable wage.

It's sometimes like it never even started

Former Employee - Full Time Keyholder in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Full Time Keyholder in Manchester, CT

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The discount was cool. Some of the people you worked with were cool. The product is cool.

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, a mentality of we will still be here even if you aren't. No respect for the people who broke their backs. Crappy pay, crappy pay.

I loved working for this company, until you made me feel expendable. You could have attempted to pay me a livable wage. But it doesn't matter, you're still there and I am not.

Overworked, under-appreciated. Not entirely horrible, but don't stay too long.

Former Employee - Warehouse Employee in Brighton, MA

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Interesting and fun coworkers. Met some wonderful people there.
    -Laid back atmosphere; no dress code(other than the obvious--you're in a warehouse), allowed to listen to any music you want in your work area, black metal, gangster rap, whatever. Get left alone while working on orders, no one's getting on your back for no reason.
    -Nice discount on merchandise.
    -Great benefits- medical/dental, 401K, free tickets and promotional stuff like hats and pint glasses(stocked the cupboard for free!)
    -Some "stars" will come through occasionally. Marky Ramone came through with his line of pasta sauce and hung out for a couple hours. What a nice dude. The sauce was tasty too.
    -Cool break room, couches for napping, cheap vending, 25cent coffee in all sorts of delightful flavors. Surprise pizza and donuts.
    -The coffee truck guy, Mr. Snack, was AWESOME.

Cons

-Lousy pay for intensive labor.
    -Working 50-60+ hour weeks during holiday season, start at 7am, one 15 minute break around 11, then not allowed to take "lunch" until almost 8pm one night.
    -They'll give the buff, six-foot tall guy an order of greeting cards or jewelry and hand over the 60lb boxes of door posters that get stored atop a six foot shelf, to the skinny five-foot tall girl. (It's not favoritism, it's common sense and safety!)
    -Don't necessarily comply with all safety regulations-- open boxes of CDs and DVDs stacked four high on top of the shelves; don't pull one down, you might get clocked in the skull.
    -Stressed warehouse manager stormed into break room yelling and dropping f-bombs at stragglers in the break room--not our fault there's two drink machines for 100-someodd employees and some of us work downstairs.
    -Warehousers get dirty looks from high and mighty office workers. Everything changes once you walk onto the carpet!

-OSHA exists for a reason, taking the time to ensure safety of employees in dark and dusty aisles outweighs any potential injuries or lawsuits.
    -Listen to base level workers- a pyramid won't stand without it's foundation.
    -Sure it's busy, but the whole department isn't going on lunch at the same time so don't expect someone to wait 10 hours to put food in their belly.
    -There's a lot of very intelligent and insightful people working there, their ideas should be heard, acknowledged and occasionally implemented!

work in the warehouse

Former Employee - Warehouse Employee in Brighton, MA

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wear what you want, listen to whatever you want, as long as the kid who only listens to one Death Metal band for hours everyday all day doesn't gets to the boombox first.

Cons

Get ready to say "excuse me" hundreds of times a day to people who will not acknowledge your presences as they rush by you in a narrow dark aisle. Get ready for a lot of hung over hipsters and people who seem to have something against using deodorant. Get ready to work in what feels like a giant dark concrete underground high school.

Put an end to the popularity contests, you're running a business not a high school.

Was great, slowly moving downhill

Current Employee - Clerk
    Current Employee - Clerk

I have been working at Newbury Comics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot to like about this place: It's a really fun job most of the time. Most of the people that get hired and stick around have similar interests, so you're bound to find someone in your store who likes either the same music, movies, comics or books that you do. If you're into streetwear, the company is expanding in that direction as fast as they can get their hands on things. There's a great employee discount program that saves us all a lot of money.

Cons

Over the past two years, the culture of the company has changed a lot. And almost all for the worse. When I started 3 years ago, when we got in new products at the store, we could decide where and how it would fit into the store at the store level. There were times that store management decided that we should completely rearrange the store, just to put in a new section. Now, all stores need to follow the same plans - even though they don't all get the same products, and they don't all have the same customer base. It's been a long-running joke with everyone in the company that if Newbury Comics has gotten some new tie-in product, the fad for it has come and gone at least 6 months ago. Ownership is angering long-time customers by removing more and more media every week, and replacing it with "fashion" by brands like Obey and Huff.

1. Newbury Comics was unique: a record store with a bunch of stupid tchotchkes. Now the new stores look like Urban Outfitters, with a media selection at the back. I understand that you have to move with the times, and media sales are down, but alienating the people who come in because you're one of the only stores in the state who still sells music will only cause those numbers to drop faster. Make an effort to keep them while you're expanding your new fashion section.
    2. Please pay attention to the things that are actually current! Despicable Me 2 isn't really a big deal anymore. Ditto the World Cup. Please stop sending those things to stores long past their expiration dates.
    3. Let the stores have their own personality. I understand the desire to have everything be easily located in every store by a customer who's only ever been in one, but it doesn't really work as well as you seem to think. Especially if you're not sending each store the same products.
    4. What happened to coupons?! You're expected to hawk newsletters to every customer who comes through the register, but there's no actual reason to sign up for it anymore. There used to be coupons every few months. Or free pint glasses with a purchase. Sure, it will tell you what the new releases are, but you can get that info from a lot of places - and it will be more accurate that the newsletter. The only other benefit is finding out about sales the day before they start. Not that there are sales all that often.

management

Current Employee - Part of Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Part of Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Newbury Comics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people that work for the company make this job happen. The product is fun and the environment is ever changing. This company also encourages the best kind of customer service that in genuine and not "car salesman" like.

Cons

This job is very demanding and be expected to work around the clock.

Lead by example and listen to your employees. This company also spreads their employees to thin with responsibility.

Awesome job where job can suffice for your social life just expect low pay unless your in the office or management

Former Employee - Associate/Key Holder/Management in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Associate/Key Holder/Management in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

no true dress code, music knowledge, meeting other coworkers and customers with similar interests. Christmas party still is best thing I have ever seen.

Cons

Scraping from paycheck to paycheck

None management has always been good depending on location

I was very rushed and I was never trained.

Former Employee - Pull Team in Brighton, MA
    Former Employee - Pull Team in Brighton, MA

I worked at Newbury Comics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discounts on products are fair.
    Very cool co-workers.

Cons

High stress / speed requirements in dark, cramped disorganized isles. Necessary tools and space were not available to work and nobody is committed to teaching the job. I felt in-the-way and helpless. A lot of traffic-jam situations. Products are broken and damaged daily because everyone is running. The expected speed of pulling/tagging is 150 pieces per hour - not realistic considering the layout and sloppy filing.

Train your new employees. I've never been so uncomfortable being pawned off onto many already-rushed employees. There was no training material or education. You had a pretty clear plan for how you criticize but there was never any learning material or education.

Fun work, fun people

I worked at Newbury Comics part-time

Pros

Interacting with customers and working with music

Cons

Unyielding scheduling issues and late-night stays.

More opportunities to innovate!