Newegg Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated October 29, 2014
1.7

Newegg Founder, Chairman and Global CEO Fred Chang
Fred Chang

Pros
  • Lots of great people and coworkers who will share your plight and agony (in 9 reviews)

• although most of the good people have either been laid off or resigned (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Top Management is at will to move anyone around from category to category weather you like it or not (in 11 reviews)

• High turnover rate because they can't keep the real talents (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Product Manager in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Newegg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance,a quiet place to work.It's located in where you can find a lot of good restaurants.

Cons

Far away from LA downtown, located in East LA,most of employee are Chinese or Asian,the company culture is dominated by Asian style.

Good e-commerce company

Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Newegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company and provide a lot of opportunity to employee

Cons

Need good plan for company future

Horrible company to work for unless you enjoy being yelled at and put down on a daily basis....

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Newegg as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay
    other fraud associates fun to work with
    Food provided often on high production days
    Hour long lunches to get out of the office for a bit

Cons

Horrible management staff. Full of lies and false promises of inclusion and promotions. Was a temp employee and was told would be treated like part of the "family" on the fraud team but was referred to as "TEMP" on a daily basis. Training and the trainer was a joke and incompetent. Yelled at class for asking too many questions and then yelled at us for wrong answers on the tests. Was yelled at when making mistakes in processing orders or letting fraud slip through. Was told to not offer customers on the phone ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE just ask the questions and get them off the phone cause ANSWERING QUESTIONS OR OFFERING HELP WAS NOT OUR JOB!!! When heard offering additional customer service to customers was yelled at in front of everyone that I didn't it wrong. Was pulled into management office by 2 supervisors and told that I had a "big personality" and I'm too much of an extrovert and I need to tone it down a bit before people on the staff start to notice and complain. And that because I have an analytical way of thinking and I ask questions if I don't understand or if there was a procedure I didn't understand and was told Ivan's off combative and insubordinate when I was brand new to the company and was trying to learn. Was let go from my temp contract after a month due to taking too much time releasing a verified order because I wanted to make sure the right thing was done for the customer. Not a company or a position that yu can have good customer service skills or basic politeness to customers because you will be fired...

Stop picking your favorites on the staff
    Employees are humans not slaves you don't have the right to talk down to us yell at us or down right belittle us as people based on our personal characteristics
    Don't refer to your temp staff as "the temps" and don't place them on a separate team because you make them feel disposable and you just take them out in the mornings trash...

Horrible pay, incompetent management, and unethical practices with employees working as slaves!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Newegg full-time

Pros

Co-workers are amazing and it's a great company to have on your resume. Insurance and benefits are not bad.

Cons

Long hours, predominantly Chinese staff with limited diversity, language barriers with many of the Chinese staff, warehouse workers are illegal immigrants, departments are generally understaffed thus, heavy workloads; no real perks, horrible pay, very few US holidays observed, very political atmosphere that doesn't welcome fresh, new creative ideas. Turnover is awful in most departments, including HR. No formal training for new hires. Most employees do NOT want to be promoted because more responsibility here = longer hours with very little, if any, additional pay; and swallowing your pride and dignity to simply exist as upper managements little monkey.

If you're going to do business in the United States, adhere to United States' business practices and ethical standards. Observe US national holidays, not only Chinese holidays. Be open-minded and plan for the future. Value, cherish, and reward employees in order to incentivize them and encourage them to WANT to desire a promotion.

product management

Current Employee - Category Manager in Rowland Heights, CA
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Rowland Heights, CA

I have been working at Newegg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn alot of what to do in daily E-commerce business model. You get to build connection and relationship with a lot of vendors and manufacture partners.

Cons

Lack of proper training to entry team members. Very little recognition of each individual's effort and hard work. Numbers pretty much represents how good you are, market condition and trending are ignored.

Listen to your people properly and provide actual useful strategy and advise. Don't just talk the big picture instead of solid plan and investment.

Good place to gain experience, but not a company you will want to stick with forever

I have been working at Newegg full-time

Pros

You learn a lot in a short amount of time. It's a growing company. You will be faced with a lot of challenges, and you will become a better professional because of it. Decent compensation/benefits if you are not married and don't have kids.

Cons

They pay ok, not great. High turnover. Office politics are pretty bad. Some departments are understaffed given everything they have to do, and it can be stressful.

Invest in your employees more and they may stick around for longer.

if there is 0 star, should be 0

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at Newegg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of coworker are very nice, and very kindly to help each other.

Cons

The entire company are running without any clear direction, no unified target/goal, every department have their own goal and they never communicate each other, no one is really care about the future of company including CEO.
    The engineer structure is a mess here, the out-sourcing engineer structure means extra high cost of communication and poor quality of delivery, the project life cycle is also extra long, even they release a new feature in weeks or months, they are thinking they are fast enough, really? The fact is modern tech company are almost have daily release or even twice daily release mechanism, new features are almost come out in few week. The engineering here looks like running at 80's, no automatic release cycle, no automatic review mechanism, all things are handle manually. The worse, because no clear direction here, there are many pointless projects are wasting a lot of resources and some obviously important projects are never get done. If you are engineer, don't work here, this is not a tech company at all.
    The marketing/sales structure are also terrible, full of office politics let you like working in white house, you must work very carefully to avoid conflict with your boss, be careful to proposal any useful suggestion, even if you have a project get approved, it may also never get done because of poor engineering or some "more important" project replace yours . If you are marketing or sales guy, good luck!

Doing something really important, think carefully how to lead this company to the future, don't only focus on your meanness KPI things.

Your experience may vary

I have been working at Newegg full-time

Pros

My experiences with the company have taught me everything I know about the ecommerce business, and provided me with many great opportunities. There is plenty to learn about business and yourself if you have the stomach to stick around long enough.

Cons

That said, the current management power is scattered and often poorly run. Many of the managers are downright terrible at their jobs. Company politics is rampant and turnover is high. It is not for the faint of heart.

Please reward individuals that can actually deliver results instead of just put on a good show.

Excellent E-Commerce Team

Current Employee - Product Manager in City of Industry, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at Newegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Strong product management team.
    -Cross functional interaction creates interpersonal connections, friendship, and beyond.
    -Hard work is recognized and appreciated.
    -Competitive compensation.

Cons

-Work hours, sometimes causing imbalance in personal life. This is understandable because e-commerce is a 24 hours store.

Keep up the good work.

Better since several cliques went to Rakuten over the last couple years, but still far from satisfactory.

Former Employee - Marketing in Rowland Heights, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Rowland Heights, CA

I worked at Newegg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable employment and can be an easy place to dig in and learn if you are motivated and need little encouragement or coaching to get things done.

Pay is relatively good for those with little time at the company compared with those who have accomplished long tenure.

This is an excellent place to gain eCommerce experience, knowledge and to work with some of the best talent in the industry.

Cons

Pay is relatively good for those with little time at the company compared with those who have accomplished long tenure and significant contributions to the company’s growth and future.

A terrible choice financially for a long term career or advancement based on growing skills/talent, you must be interested in politics to survive.

There is a real danger of losing enthusiasm for your work due to lack of growth financially which is typically out of line with increases of responsibility and company direction.

Retain existing proven talents who have established performance via accomplishments, versus rolling the dice with new hires at higher rates. New talent can still be given a shot, but it is silly to withhold incremental rewards from on board talent and create artificial incentives to leave.