Newegg

Newegg Founder, Chairman and Global CEO Fred Chang

Fred Chang

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

administration assistant

Administration Assistant (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Newegg as an intern for less than a year

Prosnice people to work with in the company

Conssometime you need to deal with pressure

Good for fresh grads

Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newegg full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you are good at pleasing your supervisors ... you find your lift time dream job here!!

ConsWhat you get pay is not what you actually deserved; however, if you are white, you can ask for a better pay here

Worst Place To Work Ever

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Newegg full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will meet people in the industry

ConsWhere to start? Incompetence from top to bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about you find someone competent to run Newegg USA?

Join if your Brown nose skill are great!

Category Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Newegg full-time

ProsEmployee compensation, up to160 hrs of PTO starting on the 3rd yr of employment, 401K, health & dental insurance out pocket pay are not bad

ConsToo many politics; most top mgmt are very traditional asian (Chinese) which expected salary paid employees to work OT. Imported bunch of entry-leveled employees from China which are under qualify. Heavily judge on employees' Brown Nose skill rather than real performance. Base salary is way under industry standard but Bonus is fair if they don't changed the bonus calculation 4 times a year or if you can way over achieve the unreasonable/unreachable budget goal. Super high turn over rate on employment due to the above reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice since the management won't listen

Being Unemployed is Better

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Newegg full-time for more than a year

ProsHumbling experience in which if you think it can't get any worse, oh but yes it can. Nothing else is good about this place.

ConsDo you love working long hours beyond what is expected of you with no recognition, self worth, proper compensation, chance of being promoted or self fulfillment? Well if your answer is yes, then this job is great for you! Honestly, avoid this company at all costs. There is a reason why they always have so many open job listings, it's because they cant keep employees. There are plenty of other reviews that mention "great coworkers", well sadly that's not always true depending on your department. Most great coworkers get fired, laid off or find something worth their time. What is left are the sad, miserable and useless employees that have been there for many years. Of course not all of the current employees are bad, most likely they are stuck there because they are still searching for something new. A lot of top management workers are employees that have worked there since the beginning, and Newegg is their first and only job. They manage with a very stubborn and blind mentality.

The reviews that mention "no Chinese, no promotion", well sadly that's true. I've never worked at a place that caused so much mental anguish in my life, and I've worked retail during college for many years. This place will not improve your resume as this is a failing company that isn't learning how to adapt. Top management is still stuck on reminiscing "the good ol' days" of when Newegg use to be profitable.

Did I mention to avoid this place at all costs? You're probably sitting here reading this going "Aww come on! My current job sucks, it can't be worse." or "I'm broke and about to be homeless so I don't care." No seriously, I use to think my job before this place was bad, but this place proved me wrong. I rather scrub toilets at McDonalds on minimum wage then work here again. I rather be abused at Walmart than work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! No seriously, wake up! Newegg no longer sells anything unique! If anything they sell more junk than other companies. Lots of rebranding junk from overseas being passed off as premium products when they are not. The Amazon machine is getting closer and it's about to crush Newegg whether it is intending to or not. If management doesn't wake up, Newegg will end up like Boarders or other victims of Amazon.

Absolutely awful, unless the thought of working in a Chinese Communist Camp excites you.

City of Industry, CA

I have been working at Newegg full-time

Prosnothing - there is nothing positive about this company except the paycheck every other Friday and even that is below market

Conseverything - especially the PEOPLE. This place is staffed with people that can't get jobs anywhere else. Everyone back stabs and talks a lot of gossip. Nobody follows process or procedure and make it up as they go. They are constantly borrowing money just to stay afloat. the company isn't profitable despite what they are saying. And to make matter worse, the people that are supposed to make money aren't , then have the nerve to demand a bonus while the rest of us get nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't bother, they won't listen.

The Cracks in the Shell of "The Egg" are Wider Than You Think

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Newegg full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat People - Many of my former co-workers and people throughout all the parts of the company were some of the hardest working people and really easy to get along with.

Great Name - "The Egg" commands respect from many in the industry and will likely be like that for the near future.

Good Benefits - Health, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, 401k, occasional free meals.

Good Opportunities - This is a great place to learn since you get put into the fire fairly quickly. Great stepping stone.

ConsMid and Upper Management - Many of these people follow the Peter Principal. They were once good at their previous roles and now are placed in role that are above them. Many of what they want can't be achieved due to a "deal" and a "IT" mindset. This causes many issues between vendors and the company. Management places overbearing pressure on employees to constantly make top and bottom lines. Orders from management are said and and redacted afterward.

Turnover - Make no mistake about this, you can meet someone one day and never see them again. There has been constant turnover as long as I have heard about "the Egg." Most people start off bright-eyed and bushy tailed, but end up very jaded because the leadership, or lack there of.

Chinese mindset - Because the leadership of the company is comprised of mainly Chinese or Taiwanese, most business is conducted in Mandarin. This places a huge disadvantage for the few employees who do not speak Chinese. A lot of mis-communication happens because of this. Internal politics and cliques are a huge part of this as well. If you don't have anyone in power who speaks Chinese to back you up, you are in trouble.

Pay - Many of the employees here are underpaid. Managers can get paid $10K+ at other companies with similar roles.

Work Life Balance - You're role is meant to be a 9-5, but management pushes employees to save face and spend long hours at the office. Some employees stay up to 8pm.

Bureaucracy - Much of the company is based from a top down structure. Many of the decisions that need to be decided on the spot must go through a process that takes as long as the person's email queue.

Constant Changing of Roles - Along with turnover, many roles in the company are ill defined and stretches everyone thin, especially teams with few people.

Holidays and Paid Time Off - Currently the company allows 6 paid holidays and you would not get paid if you take business days after a holiday off. PTO accumulates fairly slowly and sick days must be taken with PTO.

Inefficiencies - Much of the company works on very inefficient activities such as long department-wide meetings and overblown processes for routine duties. An employee can waste up to 4 hours a week on these.

Company Culture - The culture here is not what many think it is. One may think it is like any other Silicon Valley startup, but this is far from the truth. Think "Office Space."

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to say that hasn't already been said. This company is doomed if it has not taken heed of the previous complaints and suggestions. Only time can tell at this juncture.

Stay away at all costs

Purchasing (Former Employee)
Rowland Heights, CA

I worked at Newegg full-time for less than a year

ProsDual monitors
Fun coworkers
Free breakfast on Fridays
Nothing else

ConsConstant racism against non Chinese speakers
A lot of micromanagement
Poor English speaking managers giving directions which causes immense confusion
Below industry average pay
Threats can be heard across the PM floor
Unappreciated work, never have I heard a praise for completion of a project
I was given threats for applying and interviewing for a different department
Lots of politics, even if you do not want to participate. You're in.
Felt like a slave working here

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company brings in transfers from China and offers them citizenship and in return these transfers work long hours. Management believes this methodology will trickle to employees that grew up in America. Also, stop threatening your distributors- everyone in the industry knows you are behind on your numbers over the years. Start treating people nicely so your employees don't leave on a weekly basis

Top management is deluded or clueless about what makes a company successful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Newegg full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you live in Rowland Heights, West Covina, Diamond Bar or Hacienda Heights, it's a short drive. There are some people who truly care about the way the business runs and the way its employees are treated.

ConsThose people are few and far between and usually hobbled by superiors who don't care about much other than the bottom line.
The c-levels tend to have no real idea how to turn this wobbly company around.
The owner is throwing spaghetti at the walls to see what sticks--and is depending too much on what his "trusted advisors" are telling him.
The company seems to not value women much. English-speakers are needed to hide the fact that HQ is about 90% Chinese. Chinese employees who can't speak English well are stuck because they're worried they can't get hired at a better company. In short, most people are miserable there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. Most of them are leaving because the environment there is horrendous. Learn to value them and show that in your interactions.
Understand that cheap buys aren't the only factor guiding purchase decisions. You're engaged in a race to the bottom.
Learn to think like Americans because you're selling to Americans. Chinese-minded marketing only works until someone else undercuts you by $.50.

Great experience, incredible stepping stone, and a surprise to discover it's all eggshell and no substance.

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Newegg full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI agree with every reviewer here. Newegg is a place of “magics,” great opportunity, great people, and countless opportunity. Newegg is also the MOST dysfunctional company you will EVER regret leaving for the sake of you mental and physical health.

ConsMost of the industry has no idea how dysfunctional Newegg is and that's why listing the “EGG” on your resume can only help increase the likelihood of obtaining a rewarding job at a real company – that is, until the “EGG” implodes under its gross mismanagement and brute force business approach.

I’ll list a few key factors to assist you in determining whether you can survive at Newegg:

1. You can turn a blind eye to blatant discrimination.

2. You understand that it is a Chinese company and most of the real decision makers will be Chinese regardless of the expertise or lack thereof in any given subject area or department.

3. You do not have a problem lying to or defrauding vendors.

4. You can refrain from making or suggesting improvements to the processes or systems.

5. You don’t want any credit or acknowledgement (not even a bone) for any accomplishments or great ideas that you shared with your incompetent boss or histrionic executive who wants to sell them as his great ideas.

6. You are not likely to speak of quality or accountability.

7. You are comfortable doing what you are told regardless of the ethical or legal ramifications.

8. You don’t mind signing a binding arbitration as condition of employment knowing that Newegg has resorted to such a draconian tactic due it the high volume of hush-hush discrimination and hostile work environment settlements.

9. You don’t mind getting a new CEO and other top level executives every 1-2 years requiring realignment of all goals before achievement of previous goals.

10. You understand that the CEO and Founder will position his entrenched cronies at any time and place derailing any real progress or strategies based on common sense and best business practices.

11. You understand and are comfortable with the fact that you probably know more about Finance, Operations, and Marketing than most of the lower, middle, & top management in those departments.

12. You don’t mind being “let go” because you speak out about discrimination and gross incompetence.

I hope the list above hasn't discouraged anyone because as stepping stones go Newegg is close to the top (as far as the industry knows – shhh!). You just have to stick it out for a few years and, if you can grin and bear the lunacy you will inevitably encounter, you will be a much stronger person. You should have many opportunities available to you which is part of the problem at Newegg. Many people are promoted to their incompetence, but most of those poor incompetent souls are trying their best for you and the company (Newegg is just too cheap to higher experienced & competent managers). The cronies and clueless executives are the real problem. If you’re lucky, the only contact you’ll have with the cronies and “execu-tards” is through the mandates and goals they roll downhill like the excrement those orders and KPI’s are. Ultimately, Newegg can be an incredible stepping stone if you have the right mindset and if you are incredibly patient and tactfully persistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFred, get a handle on the discrimination. Stop surrounding yourself by cronies and yes-men. Making your cronies untouchable despite their questionable business ethics not only sends the wrong message to the whole company but it also puts you and the company at risk. Stop using Legal and HR as your personal Hitmen.

Worked for Newegg? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newegg reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newegg CEO Fred Chang. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Newegg employees.