Newegg Reviews

Reset
2.1
Newegg Founder, Chairman and Global CEO Fred Chang
Fred Chang

Pros
  • Many, many really great people here (in 9 reviews)

• Good people but most of them have left (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Top Management is at will to move anyone around from category to category weather you like it or not (in 11 reviews)

• High turnover rate because they can't keep the real talents (in 9 reviews)

Hydra

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Newegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, I had always told people that no matter what happens, NE will be at minimum, 3 stars for me. The reason is that a few years ago I was in a bad situation and really needed a solid job, and NE gave me a chance. I will always be grateful for that and will never forget it.

In this review, I will describe 5 observations. Hopefully it helps you understand the company better. The first observation is positive, and the rest are not.

Great People
    NE is full of great people. It's one of the largest employers in the city, and you'll make a lot of friends working here. Everyone's dealing with the same issues, so there's camaraderie among us. Since many people are scratching for tight margins, you'll find that there are some sharp thinkers here. You'll get a good understanding of the eCommerce channel retail industry if you're paying attention.

Cons

Talk
    People here are so bored that they salivate at any tiny possible rumor about others. I've never seen a workforce so interested in what is happening to other people.
    You'll be the last person to know anything bad about you. It's the exact opposite of clear and constructive feedback. To this day, I still can't understand the benefit of collecting and building a secret case against a peer and submitting it to their superior vs. talking directly to the peer hoping to help them out in their career. It's a poisonous concept and unfortunately, instead of being discouraged, the snakes are rewarded with favoritism (see Cancer Cells next).

Cancer Cells
    In a body, cancer cells are basically cells that multiply without control and have no function, but damage healthy cells and organs. Over time, people die because the ratio of cancer cells is too great, causing system failure. In a company, it's the same thing. Every company has its share of cancer - those employees who really shouldn't be there and create little value, but are protected or favored by higher cancer cell employees. A great company, like Google for example, might have 1 cancer cell for every 20 healthy cells. The body (company if you will) can survive like this and maybe even thrive, carrying the dead cancer weight with them to prosperity. Here though, the ratio is something like 3 cancer cells out of 5. There are so many cancer cells in leadership positions who don't understand that you can't save all cancer cells. They don't compromise on it, and instead they just transfer people around who should have been let go years ago; people who have little professional capability outside of this company. This company would be much healthier if they tried to get the ratio back to at least 1 cancer cell per 3 healthy cells. It's probably too late though, and the problem is, when it's time to cut costs, leaders look at their team and think hmm... I have these 3 cancer cells and 1 healthy cell, but the 3 are my hand-picked people from China. Healthy cell, you gotta go.

Considering the amount of dead weight in this company, I actually think there are some very strong people here keeping the whole ship afloat.

"Leadership"
    I have the word in quotes because it's not quite the leadership you think. People are put in leadership positions (I was one of them) and then talked to like children. I was asked to select members of my team for scheduled training and then overridden later on scheduling. Childish things are measured alongside actual metrics. Perception far out-weighs performance, and if your performance is good, your boss will say "he can do even more" to limit your growth. Meanwhile, you've out-performed your entire team of both healthy and cancer cells, but you "can do even more". When a senior level manager provides this as feedback, I question their ability to process in a general sense the effectiveness of their subordinates. My answer to them is "hey, are you sure you're not the one who can do more? Because it seems like you can do 'morer' than I can." It calls to mind one of the dumbest slogans in recent memory - 99 Ranch Market's (also Chinese): "For 100 We Try Harder". Uh.. you picked your own name. Meaningless.

Reality Distortion
    Your relationship with NE will resemble a bad marriage. They'll try their best to make you feel like you're worth very little in the industry, and that you have a lot to learn. They want you to believe that nobody wants you, and you're stuck here. They want you to think that you're ugly, dumb, and lucky that they gave you a job when you're actually beautiful and smart. It's like the story of Cinderella for some here. They'll abuse you until you decide to leave, and then they will offer you a lot to save the marriage - more pay, transfers, promotions, title changes. But by then, it's always too late. The love's gone. (By the way, don't take those offers. You really think they'll keep you around if you stick around after threatening to leave?). I'm not sure if this is all a concerted strategy by top mgmt. or if they are really so blind that they can't figure out which employees are ACTUALLY stuck here, and which choose to be here. Making the mistake of thinking everyone is stuck here leaves you with only one result - you get to keep everyone who's stuck here.

Bye.

Advice to Management

Clean up your cancer cells. At least make some compromises - say convert half the existing cancer overhead (it's millions of dollars, trust me) into budget that could go toward maybe hiring a real software development team, so you can build a strategy against competitors like Amazon. I had this concept in mind long ago. Put together 10-20 solid software engineers attracted here at market rate. Form a "special forces" team with these guys who's sole purpose is to develop smart solutions and competitive advantages. Facebook hack-a-thon anybody? The current method of using an army of deal merchandisers who have little technical / analytical capability to take on a competitor full of software developers building algorithms to steal your market share is like sending a bunch of riflemen against a nuclear submarine.

Most importantly, understand and recognize the skills and values that each employee brings to the table. I think Newegg can improve their employee retention (especially quality employees) by going to lengths to fit great employees into great roles with better pay. When someone's good, don't play favorites and don't be stingy.

A lot of the most trusted management here has been here forever, and are friends or relatives of the owner. They grew with the company, but they don't really know how to manage a company of this size. I would highly recommend that some of them take some management classes and go through a learning process to improve themselves, instead of paying attention to everyone below and forgetting that they're a part of the problem too. If they were reading this, they'd dismiss it because they know best (improve myself? BAH). Luckily, I won't have to be around and frustrated by that mindset any longer. Good luck.

Good company but bad top management!

Current Employee - Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Newegg full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Both teams and employees are talented and proactive to get achievements.

Cons

Top management is terrible. Totally not follow any flow or rules. No goal-oriented and planning.

3. buyer

I have been working at Newegg

Pros

you can learn a lot in a short time

Cons

they wont pay you base on market avarge and they are keep cutting people

5. Full-Time Position

I have been working at Newegg

Pros

friendly work environment, learn a lot about the ecommerce industry, hours are pretty standard 8:30 to 5:30

Cons

upward mobility limited, not many work perks, high turnover rate of employees due to competitiveness on salary and promotions

Advice to Management

encourage more upward mobility through promotions within the company instead of hiring outside talent all the time

6. Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Whittier, CA

I worked at Newegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides the opportunity to enhance communication, computer, and problem solving skills.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement. At times it felt as if management was just watching your every move.

Advice to Management

Lay off the micro-management for a bit. Take care of employees more especially when they are sick during the holiday season.

7. most people are nice, but the company is definitely changing

Current Employee - Analyst in City of Industry, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at Newegg full-time

Pros

very open, you can learn a lot if you want to

Cons

the industry is competitive, the company is a little stressed

8. Great teammates, horrible top management

Former Employee - Product Manager in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Newegg

Pros

Free tea, free coffee, coworkers to share your misery

Cons

I'm sure everyone else here has already said enough, and yes, its true.

Advice to Management

Maybe, just maybe, listen to people who actually have sound advice and stop doing whatever it is that you're currently doing.

Really Bad Company

Former Employee - Merchandiser in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Newegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only "Pro" I can come up with is the compensation is on par with what the compensation is for similar positions at other companies in the industry.

Cons

* Existing Management Personnel have their favorites and do not look beyond these people to promote.
    * This place is a revolving door.Layoffs happen regularly across all departments.
    * There is no real direction from Management. One month they say we are breaking records, the next month, the lay off a significant amount of people because "it has been tough and we are not meeting our goals so we are forced to do a force reduction".
    * If you are not Chinese or speak Mandarin, you will not last long here. Management keeps employees who are from China and are on Work Visas so they can pay them less.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the existing Management Team and invest in your employees so they are inspired to do well for the company. If you keep hiring and laying off people, you cannot build a solid "team".

Run AWAY

I worked at Newegg full-time

Pros

If you like boba, that's all they drink here. Everyday.

Cons

Where to start... Upper Management are like communists from china who runs the company in all the wrong ways. They will make everyone jump through hoops to hit deadlines that are impossible to hit unless you work 12 hour days. So if you don't mind long hours than go for it (they don't pay you overtime unless you're hourly). The vacation days are minimal and you have to work most holidays. There is no work/life balance here, in fact Newegg will be your life.

Most people here don't speak english correctly so communication will be your biggest challenge. The only thing you will learn from this company is to work fast, because they expect quantity, not quality.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who know how to lead people, not your friends. Leadership is not about dictating, you need to lead the associates so that they can enhance their own performance

11. Product Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at Newegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Asian Culture, friendly working environment

Cons

stability of higher management, high work force rotation

RSS Feed </> Embed