Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

Michael B. Polk

1. BA in SAP Pricing

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (More than a year)

Pros

Ease of working with stake holder

Cons

Contract was short and the project ended

Advice to Management

None

Mar 25, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We hope you'll keep us in mind for future career opportunities.

2. Senior Trade Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Trade Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation: base salary + bonus

Cons

lack of process, structure, long term planning, insights based decision making

Advice to Management

leverage insights to drive fact based selling. develop aligned incentives among functions.

Apr 24, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

This place is full of hypocrisy

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really nice co-workers
    Facilities- gym, cafe, overall office is open
    Multiple-brands

Cons

HR and Middle mgt give mixed information- there are rules only when it suits them
    Middle mgt- I feel like Upper Mgt is competent and entry-level hires are driven and ready to perform... middle mgt falls way short- especially when it comes to leadership skills and enabling those beneath you

Multiple brands- every time you get a new role, you're 95% starting over... the amount of knowledge and history of our brands that we've lost in the past 3 years is actually insane. This isn't P&G, the benefits of owning multiple brands gets lost when they're isn't any synchronicity.

The previous model of acquiring brands that completely owned their markets but have no commonalities is the reality we're living in now- we're killing their equity quickly.

Advice to Management

When the people below you look good, you look good. Insecurity breeds a bitter culture that'll spread like wildfire, take a look at our engagement scores for instance.

Apr 8, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We will share with leadership and encourage you to continue to share your feedback, so that we can help create an I want to work here culture.

Ever Changing with Very Poor Leadership!

Former Employee - Senior Global Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Global Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good brands, hard working people

Cons

- Very poor leadership
    - Poor culture
    - Political with who you know vs. what you know
    - No career development, simply reactive to issues, not strategic and no growth planning
    - This is a holding company not New product / innovation company.

Advice to Management

Sell company to a bigger CPG group like P&G, Stanley etc...The board look short term (3yrs) vs. long term

Apr 16, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

I Just Don't Believe, We Are Shrinking, Not Growing!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once was a great company that looked out for its employees.

Cons

I have tried very hard over the past 4 years to believe in our strategy (Growth Game Plan) and actively support its development through many years of gut wrenching change. I have now come to the conclusion this is a lot of lies, all I see around me are things getting smaller, not bigger. The acquisitions over the past 12-18 months are a joke, do we really believe water bottles and a small stroller company are going to propel Newell to the next level?

What I do see is are talented leaders leaving the company at the ExLT level and those that are left do not understand product development. Things are shrinking and I just don't believe in the Growth Game Plan anymore.

What I do see is blind investment in marketing and advertising, and I keep hearing this or that survey or agency cited about how great this investment is paying off. Yet I do see a lasting effect to this very expensive way of getting our message out, nor to hear about alternatives to big agency budgets and spending. All I know is, every other corner of the company is being squeezed to fund this boondoggle. Things are shrinking and I just don't believe in the Growth Game Plan anymore.

What I do see are coworkers being walked out the door on a regular basis not either not being replaced or being replaced by temps which lack the skills needed to advance our NPD work. Things are shrinking and I just don't believe in the Growth Game Plan anymore.

What I do see is a company overly focused on 'cost' while the head of Development (Mark Tarchetti) gets a $7M payday in stock. How can this be? The ability for Mark to make up data to fit his story is astounding and I see it quarter after quarter, presentation after presentation. Things are shrinking and I just don't believe in the Growth Game Plan anymore.

I now believe one of the most incredible shell games ever foisted on a corporation is unfolding before our eyes. I do not believe the numbers given by Tarchetti or any of the leadership team about 'growth' or 'core sales' or 'how many BIPS' we are up. What I do know is benefits are shrinking, there are fewer hands to do the work and people are being treated poorly so they will get fed up and leave. And when they do leave, they are treated in a shabby manner by HR.

Things are shrinking and I just don't believe in the Growth Game Plan anymore.

Advice to Management

This problem is beyond 'management'. The board of directors needs to get off the sidelines and really get involved with what is going on inside of Newell. The wrong leaders are leaving and I have no faith in the leadership of Development or Delivery.

Things are shrinking and I just don't believe in the Growth Game Plan anymore.

Apr 14, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Interesting Job Location Posts

Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Starbucks in the corporate office.

Cons

Interesting how Newell moved all their designers to Kalamazoo Michigan, yet continues to still post design job openings in cities that don't have design anymore, like Chicago and Atlanta.

Mar 25, 2015Talent Brand Manager

8. Associate Manager, PR & Consumer Engagement

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

There is mutual trust and respect between employees and management

Cons

There are a number of mandatory, cumbersome processes that limit the company's ability to be nimble

Jan 6, 2015Talent Brand Manager

9. Excellent work environment, people, passion for brands

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work and have a career. Diversity of brands and rolls allow for continued career growth, a truly global business, first rate in business processes to support continued growth.

Cons

None. If you are opposed to change or want a carrer with the same routine, this is probably not a fit. People who thrive in a change environment will do well here.

Advice to Management

None

Nov 17, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

Good goes bad

Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working environment; Perks, onsite cafe and gym; flexible hours, friendly coworkers.

Cons

Too much changes in the last couple of years and still changing, benefits/pays are good for senior leaders but not so good in general. Relationship is way better than performance.

Advice to Management

Take care of your good employees.

Oct 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We wish you the best of luck and hope you'll keep us in mind for future career opportunities.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Newell Rubbermaid for 9 years and I can not imagine working anywhere else. Newell is the perfect place for proactive, energized people who are willing to go above and beyond to get work done If you ask anyone, they will respond that their favorite thing about Newell is the PEOPLE. There is just something special about Newell Rubbermaid employees...their passion, willingness to help or get the job done, and most importantly their desire to make a difference for their peers and for our consumers.

The company and job experience is what you make of it at Newell. You truly get out whatever you put in...meaning this is a place where you need to approach someone if you are ready to move to the next level and are interested in pursuing training or approach someone if you want to learn about a more flexible work arrangement. When I have asked, the company and my managers have answered. This is not a company that gives you a mundane work experience so if you are looking for the everyday normal with no change and 100% consistency than this isn't the place for you. My experience has been a time of company growth and change at both the business structure level and at the leadership level. No matter what anyone says the decisions being made are the best decisions for the company's future. We are working towards becoming a best in class company in today's economy and to do that - change has to happen. Your work experience at Newell promises an innovative and creative work environment and one where your ideas can be heard. I highly recommend job prospects to look seriously at Newell as a place where they can begin and end their career.

Cons

If you are not interested in an environment that evolves during the execution of its Growth Game Plan strategy than this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to build on some of the communication best practices that are happening across the company from skip level lunches to round tables to emails and video messages...make it consistent. Employees want to hear from you. Continue to try and be transparent no matter how tough the message. If I meet a leader, I am typically impressed with the Newell qualities that I see from the humility and passion for our people and brands. Speak up, get in front of employees and travel so that others can see those same qualities.

Jul 24, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! NWL is a great place to work and we are excited about our future! Great feedback to our leaders. We'll be sure to share.