Newell Rubbermaid

Updated September 15, 2014
3.2

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site (in 18 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 19 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

92 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have worked at Newell Rubbermaid for 9 years and I can not imagine working anywhere else. Newell is the perfect place for proactive, energized people who are willing to go above and beyond to get work done If you ask anyone, they will respond that their favorite thing about Newell is the PEOPLE. There is just something special about Newell Rubbermaid employees...their passion, willingness to help or get the job done, and most importantly their desire to make a difference for their peers and for our consumers.

The company and job experience is what you make of it at Newell. You truly get out whatever you put in...meaning this is a place where you need to approach someone if you are ready to move to the next level and are interested in pursuing training or approach someone if you want to learn about a more flexible work arrangement. When I have asked, the company and my managers have answered. This is not a company that gives you a mundane work experience so if you are looking for the everyday normal with no change and 100% consistency than this isn't the place for you. My experience has been a time of company growth and change at both the business structure level and at the leadership level. No matter what anyone says the decisions being made are the best decisions for the company's future. We are working towards becoming a best in class company in today's economy and to do that - change has to happen. Your work experience at Newell promises an innovative and creative work environment and one where your ideas can be heard. I highly recommend job prospects to look seriously at Newell as a place where they can begin and end their career.

Cons

If you are not interested in an environment that evolves during the execution of its Growth Game Plan strategy than this is not the place for you.

Continue to build on some of the communication best practices that are happening across the company from skip level lunches to round tables to emails and video messages...make it consistent. Employees want to hear from you. Continue to try and be transparent no matter how tough the message. If I meet a leader, I am typically impressed with the Newell qualities that I see from the humility and passion for our people and brands. Speak up, get in front of employees and travel so that others can see those same qualities.

Jul 24, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! NWL is a great place to work and we are excited about our future! Great feedback to our leaders. We'll be sure to share.

Good goes bad

Former Employee - Sourcing Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good working environment; Perks, onsite cafe and gym; flexible hours, friendly coworkers.

Cons

Too much changes in the last couple of years and still changing, benefits/pays are good for senior leaders but not so good in general. Relationship is way better than performance.

Take care of your good employees.

About to take it to the next level....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

It is not possible to brag enough about Newell Rubbermaid's Global headquarters based in Atlanta, GA and the employees that define the company! The Executive Leadership has made some very tough decisions in the past that are focused on developing the company and taking our success to the next level. My first interaction with the organization came through their outstanding internal recruiting department and my experience has continued to be a challenging and rewarding one ever since.

Cons

The only con that comes to my mind is that compensation is not where it could be and the opportunity to develop our internal employees is not as great as other companies that I have worked for in the past.

Please continue to develop your internal employees and give opportunity to expand their/our skill sets while also gaining exposure to other functions within the organization....if someone is willing to continue to grow their career internally the opportunity should be there and supported rather than challenged.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! This is helpful feedback and we'll be sure to share with our leadership teams.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, but...

Current Employee - Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity for gaining experience with multiple products

Cons

The structure is primarily 2 silos - development and delivery - and metrics sometimes are misaligned.

Ensure metrics do not conflict at the top level.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

Improvement is Imminent but...

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Polk has got this company headed in the right direction. His business strategy is VERY sound. And' he's building a performance culture. You'll be challenged to deliver, but when you deliver, generally you are rewarded. Yes we are allowed to wear jeans, but laid back is hardly how I would describe it. We have fun, but we work hard.

The other good thing about Newell right now is that because it went from kinda-cushy-it-doesn't-really-matter-if-you-deliver to we're-going-to-push-you-and-stretch-you-and-you-damn-well-better-deliver there is a fair degree of turnover. But turnover creates opportunity. And if you don't mind working hard, and you buy into the culture, this is a GREAT place to learn and advance your career.

Cons

I'm going to give it to you straight. When I started working here in 2010, this was a GREAT company to work for...FROM AN EMPLOYEE PERSPECTIVE. Work life balance was best in class. Leadership cared about you. Pay was okay to average, but people were happy. We left on Fridays at 1 p.m. all the time. If I recall correctly 70+% of people would recommend it to a friend.

Today, it's still a good company to work for. However if you are looking for work life balance, I think you should look somewhere else. I've seen this company stripped down and reorganized. People work HARD. My teammates put in about 50-60 hours a week.

The pay is competitive, but not great. I believe the corporate directive is to align pay with the median salary range at similar companies. But hey, why not sign on for a four year hitch, learn what you can and then take you new skill set to greener pastures?

And for what it's worth that "Improvement is Imminent" post smacks of Recruiter-Posting-As-Employee...

Keep doing what you are doing, just watch those turnover metrics...

Jul 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review and feedback! Our leadership and engagement teams are focused on building an "I want to work here" culture. We are listening to employees and welcome additional feedback ... More

Strong company with strong brands.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great brands with a strong strategic plan to grow. Worklife balance is acceptable and a lot of investment in Employee Resource Groups and innovation.

Cons

Health benefits are not great.

Continue the focus on employee development. And make sure to recognize and reward those who are going above and beyond.

Jun 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We value our employees feedback and will be sure to utilize it to continuously improve our culture and work environment.

Opportunities for the Motivated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Young talented workforce that is relatively diverse. Recognizable brands and nice/newer work environments. Office location is central (Sandy Springs), so its convenient to most northern suburbs and midtown/downtown. Good opportunities for advancement in most departments if you are willing to work for it. The company is fully committed to its Growth Game Plan. If you are on board and make your aspirations known to management, opportunities for advancement won't be hard to find. Bonus structure is very competitive from Manager level on up.

Cons

Development for entry level employees is hit or miss, you need to really be proactive with your management in most cases to visibility to upcoming opportunities. Also, there have been significant resource reductions in recent years, so work/life balance can be a challenging given the pressure to perform with less in many departments. Company is really starting to focus on employee engagement with new Chief HR Officer. Hopefully things continue to move in the right direction.

More focus on cross functional projects. Management voices "One Company" strategy, but many departments still focus on self server objectives. Give high performing business functions more resources (head count) to avoid burning out performers. Create opportunities for low/mid level resources to advance.

Jun 9, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review and dedication to the company! We are very excited for our continued growth and employee engagement is a top priority for our leadership teams. We want your feedback! Feel ... More

Great company to work for - Marketing and Brand driven

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Team oriented, focused on delivery and growth - Amazing brands to work on. The company has went through a lot of changes, though is in a better position now, and has a great outlook for the future. Very product and brand focused.

Cons

Company has went through significant change over the last 2-3 years, can be unsettling seeing co-workers leave

Opportunities for those with initiative

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Newell Rubbermaid has some great products and finally investing in advertising to continue to build our brands. The company has a great growth plan which allows for many opportunities for people with talent, experience and initiative. We have wonderful training opportunities, great cafeteria, free sodas, gym, starbucks, marta line and company store.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the recent years. The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll.

The transformation projects have allowed us to invest in the right places. We need to focus on employee engagement and work on what drives the team to continue to deliver. We are moving from good to great and driving to exceptional.

May 27, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It is a very exciting time to be a part of our company. Employee engagement is a big initiative for our leaders and we look forward to seeing how future initiatives ... More

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - potential operations manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - potential operations manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Continuously improving to better the organization and huge on safety. Great screening process for new employees and managers.

Cons

Not many to report other then upper management listen to employees ideas a little more. All ideas are good just need to decipher what to use and what not to use.

Keep up the great work on how the company has grown. I love the seal program and how the company relies on the team members for there success.

May 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It's definitely an exciting time to be a part of our company. We'd love to hear your ideas and encourage you to reach out to a member of the Employee Insights Team in ... More

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!