Newell Rubbermaid

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk

Michael B. Polk

87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Strong company with strong brands.

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat brands with a strong strategic plan to grow. Worklife balance is acceptable and a lot of investment in Employee Resource Groups and innovation.

ConsHealth benefits are not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on employee development. And make sure to recognize and reward those who are going above and beyond.

Flag Review
    Newell Rubbermaid Campus Recruiter responded to this review Jun 23, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review! We value our employees feedback and will be sure to utilize it to continuously improve our culture and work environment.

Improvement is Imminent but...

Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsPolk has got this company headed in the right direction. His business strategy is VERY sound. And' he's building a performance culture. You'll be challenged to deliver, but when you deliver, generally you are rewarded. Yes we are allowed to wear jeans, but laid back is hardly how I would describe it. We have fun, but we work hard.

The other good thing about Newell right now is that because it went from kinda-cushy-it-doesn't-really-matter-if-you-deliver to we're-going-to-push-you-and-stretch-you-and-you-damn-well-better-deliver there is a fair degree of turnover. But turnover creates opportunity. And if you don't mind working hard, and you buy into the culture, this is a GREAT place to learn and advance your career.

ConsI'm going to give it to you straight. When I started working here in 2010, this was a GREAT company to work for...FROM AN EMPLOYEE PERSPECTIVE. Work life balance was best in class. Leadership cared about you. Pay was okay to average, but people were happy. We left on Fridays at 1 p.m. all the time. If I recall correctly 70+% of people would recommend it to a friend.

Today, it's still a good company to work for. However if you are looking for work life balance, I think you should look somewhere else. I've seen this company stripped down and reorganized. People work HARD. My teammates put in about 50-60 hours a week.

The pay is competitive, but not great. I believe the corporate directive is to align pay with the median salary range at similar companies. But hey, why not sign on for a four year hitch, learn what you can and then take you new skill set to greener pastures?

And for what it's worth that "Improvement is Imminent" post smacks of Recruiter-Posting-As-Employee...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, just watch those turnover metrics...

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Flag Review
    Newell Rubbermaid Talent Brand Manager responded to this review Jul 1, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review and feedback! Our leadership and engagement teams are focused on building an "I want to work here" culture. We are listening to employees and welcome additional feedback ... More

Opportunities for the Motivated

(Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsYoung talented workforce that is relatively diverse. Recognizable brands and nice/newer work environments. Office location is central (Sandy Springs), so its convenient to most northern suburbs and midtown/downtown. Good opportunities for advancement in most departments if you are willing to work for it. The company is fully committed to its Growth Game Plan. If you are on board and make your aspirations known to management, opportunities for advancement won't be hard to find. Bonus structure is very competitive from Manager level on up.

ConsDevelopment for entry level employees is hit or miss, you need to really be proactive with your management in most cases to visibility to upcoming opportunities. Also, there have been significant resource reductions in recent years, so work/life balance can be a challenging given the pressure to perform with less in many departments. Company is really starting to focus on employee engagement with new Chief HR Officer. Hopefully things continue to move in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on cross functional projects. Management voices "One Company" strategy, but many departments still focus on self server objectives. Give high performing business functions more resources (head count) to avoid burning out performers. Create opportunities for low/mid level resources to advance.

Flag Review
    Newell Rubbermaid Campus Recruiter responded to this review Jun 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review and dedication to the company! We are very excited for our continued growth and employee engagement is a top priority for our leadership teams. We want your feedback! Feel ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunities for those with initiative

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsNewell Rubbermaid has some great products and finally investing in advertising to continue to build our brands. The company has a great growth plan which allows for many opportunities for people with talent, experience and initiative. We have wonderful training opportunities, great cafeteria, free sodas, gym, starbucks, marta line and company store.

ConsThere has been a lot of change over the recent years. The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe transformation projects have allowed us to invest in the right places. We need to focus on employee engagement and work on what drives the team to continue to deliver. We are moving from good to great and driving to exceptional.

Flag Review
    Newell Rubbermaid Campus Recruiter responded to this review May 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review! It is a very exciting time to be a part of our company. Employee engagement is a big initiative for our leaders and we look forward to seeing how future initiatives ... More

Excellent company to work for

potential operations manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsContinuously improving to better the organization and huge on safety. Great screening process for new employees and managers.

ConsNot many to report other then upper management listen to employees ideas a little more. All ideas are good just need to decipher what to use and what not to use.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work on how the company has grown. I love the seal program and how the company relies on the team members for there success.

Flag Review
    Newell Rubbermaid Campus Recruiter responded to this review May 23, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review! It's definitely an exciting time to be a part of our company. We'd love to hear your ideas and encourage you to reach out to a member of the Employee Insights Team in ... More

Depressing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe money is decent
    Well known company
    Great cafeteria, gym and employee store

ConsSelf-esteem constantly assaulted
    Demotions to save costs
    Morale in finance was at its worst
    Work life balance is terrible
    Except to work mandatory weekends and health care coverage was lousy
    Employees treated poorly and management is insensitive
    Never had an opportunity to take vacation
    I hated the job, it was a terrible company to work for. hated it

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees well

Flag Review
    Thank you for your opinion. We always appreciate feedback from former employees and hope to utilize it to make NWL an even better place to work. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

What's the plan?

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people, hard workers. Many opportunities.

ConsManagement talks about being transparent but there always seems to be an air of "now what?" That has taken a toll on the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate on a more detailed level. Rebuild the culture so people want to be there.

Flag Review
    Thank you for your review! This is helpful feedback and we'll share with our engagement team. This is an exciting time to be a part of our company and we want you to continue to be a part of it!

Love the people and amenities!

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe office culture was pretty laid back. Everyone was really nice and easy to work with, but also hard working. The insurance benefits, gym and cafeteria were all great.

ConsIn my department, there wasn't much support for telecommuting, but in Atlanta traffic, telecommuting would have been a plus. Unfortunately company restructuring lead to my department being relocating to a different state.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more opportunities to grow or more clear career paths.

The people really make a difference!

Atlanta, GA

ProsNewell Rubbermaid is a great place to work. Everyone is hard-working, friendly and really care about each other. The facilities and amenities are top notch! It would take alot for me to leave the company.

ConsLike many companies, we have been going through restructuring for the past couple of years which can get exhausting. We are moving in the right strategic direction, but need to focus on our people again.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent and understand our business before making "strategic decisions". It comes across as unorganized.

Hostile Work Environment

Atlanta, GA

ProsGood facilities and work/life balance

ConsExtremely hostile environment with in-fighting and finger-pointing between teams. Holding cell for Unilever flunkies, promised unearned promotions at Newell. Only the thick-skinned need apply. Very limited career development potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest money in recruiting best in class employees and leadership, instead of picking up leadership at a discount. Require that leadership report into HQ in order to fully grasp the problems and voids with the current structure.

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!

Newell Rubbermaid Videos

Newell Rubbermaid – Why Work for Us?

It's an incredibly exciting time at Newell Rubbermaid. Our future is bright and our potential is unlimited. We are at a defining moment in our history - one that we are confident will shape who we are and how our story… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newell Rubbermaid reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newell Rubbermaid CEO Michael B. Polk. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Newell Rubbermaid employees.