Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

Updated April 13, 2015
99 reviews filtered by
  • Atlanta, GA

1. Great place to work, but...

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for gaining experience with multiple products

Cons

The structure is primarily 2 silos - development and delivery - and metrics sometimes are misaligned.

Advice to Management

Ensure metrics do not conflict at the top level.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

2. Awesome company to work for! The culture and benefits at Newell are beyond amazing!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Newell's benefits are barnone the best I have ever seen. 2 retirement accounts, on site daycare, employee gym, cafe, starbucks, company store with huge below retail discounts, dry cleaning and car detailing services. Summer hours, flex time.

Cons

I cannot think of a negative thing to say about Newell. It's an amazing company that is all about giving back to their community, engaging associates and making life better in every aspect that they can. Management listens to what their associates are saying.

Advice to Management

to the management at Newell, Keep doing what you are doing. Engaging associates is key. If associates are happy with their job that satisfaction filtering down to their performance at work. Hiring and training associates cost money. Retaining associates is key and a happy employee is one who will have a long future with Newell.

Improvement is Imminent but...

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Polk has got this company headed in the right direction. His business strategy is VERY sound. And' he's building a performance culture. You'll be challenged to deliver, but when you deliver, generally you are rewarded. Yes we are allowed to wear jeans, but laid back is hardly how I would describe it. We have fun, but we work hard.

The other good thing about Newell right now is that because it went from kinda-cushy-it-doesn't-really-matter-if-you-deliver to we're-going-to-push-you-and-stretch-you-and-you-damn-well-better-deliver there is a fair degree of turnover. But turnover creates opportunity. And if you don't mind working hard, and you buy into the culture, this is a GREAT place to learn and advance your career.

Cons

I'm going to give it to you straight. When I started working here in 2010, this was a GREAT company to work for...FROM AN EMPLOYEE PERSPECTIVE. Work life balance was best in class. Leadership cared about you. Pay was okay to average, but people were happy. We left on Fridays at 1 p.m. all the time. If I recall correctly 70+% of people would recommend it to a friend.

Today, it's still a good company to work for. However if you are looking for work life balance, I think you should look somewhere else. I've seen this company stripped down and reorganized. People work HARD. My teammates put in about 50-60 hours a week.

The pay is competitive, but not great. I believe the corporate directive is to align pay with the median salary range at similar companies. But hey, why not sign on for a four year hitch, learn what you can and then take you new skill set to greener pastures?

And for what it's worth that "Improvement is Imminent" post smacks of Recruiter-Posting-As-Employee...

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, just watch those turnover metrics...

Jul 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review and feedback! Our leadership and engagement teams are focused on building an "I want to work here" culture. We are listening to employees and welcome additional feedback ... More

5. Strong company with strong brands.

Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brands with a strong strategic plan to grow. Worklife balance is acceptable and a lot of investment in Employee Resource Groups and innovation.

Cons

Health benefits are not great.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on employee development. And make sure to recognize and reward those who are going above and beyond.

Jun 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We value our employees feedback and will be sure to utilize it to continuously improve our culture and work environment.

6. Opportunities for the Motivated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Young talented workforce that is relatively diverse. Recognizable brands and nice/newer work environments. Office location is central (Sandy Springs), so its convenient to most northern suburbs and midtown/downtown. Good opportunities for advancement in most departments if you are willing to work for it. The company is fully committed to its Growth Game Plan. If you are on board and make your aspirations known to management, opportunities for advancement won't be hard to find. Bonus structure is very competitive from Manager level on up.

Cons

Development for entry level employees is hit or miss, you need to really be proactive with your management in most cases to visibility to upcoming opportunities. Also, there have been significant resource reductions in recent years, so work/life balance can be a challenging given the pressure to perform with less in many departments. Company is really starting to focus on employee engagement with new Chief HR Officer. Hopefully things continue to move in the right direction.

Advice to Management

More focus on cross functional projects. Management voices "One Company" strategy, but many departments still focus on self server objectives. Give high performing business functions more resources (head count) to avoid burning out performers. Create opportunities for low/mid level resources to advance.

Jun 9, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review and dedication to the company! We are very excited for our continued growth and employee engagement is a top priority for our leadership teams. We want your feedback! Feel ... More

7. Great company to work for - Marketing and Brand driven

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team oriented, focused on delivery and growth - Amazing brands to work on. The company has went through a lot of changes, though is in a better position now, and has a great outlook for the future. Very product and brand focused.

Cons

Company has went through significant change over the last 2-3 years, can be unsettling seeing co-workers leave

8. Opportunities for those with initiative

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Newell Rubbermaid has some great products and finally investing in advertising to continue to build our brands. The company has a great growth plan which allows for many opportunities for people with talent, experience and initiative. We have wonderful training opportunities, great cafeteria, free sodas, gym, starbucks, marta line and company store.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the recent years. The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll.

Advice to Management

The transformation projects have allowed us to invest in the right places. We need to focus on employee engagement and work on what drives the team to continue to deliver. We are moving from good to great and driving to exceptional.

May 27, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It is a very exciting time to be a part of our company. Employee engagement is a big initiative for our leaders and we look forward to seeing how future initiatives ... More

9. Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - potential operations manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - potential operations manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Continuously improving to better the organization and huge on safety. Great screening process for new employees and managers.

Cons

Not many to report other then upper management listen to employees ideas a little more. All ideas are good just need to decipher what to use and what not to use.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work on how the company has grown. I love the seal program and how the company relies on the team members for there success.

May 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It's definitely an exciting time to be a part of our company. We'd love to hear your ideas and encourage you to reach out to a member of the Employee Insights Team in ... More

What's the plan?

Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, hard workers. Many opportunities.

Cons

Management talks about being transparent but there always seems to be an air of "now what?" That has taken a toll on the culture.

Advice to Management

Communicate on a more detailed level. Rebuild the culture so people want to be there.

May 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! This is helpful feedback and we'll share with our engagement team. This is an exciting time to be a part of our company and we want you to continue to be a part of it!

Depressing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The money is decent
    Well known company
    Great cafeteria, gym and employee store

Cons

Self-esteem constantly assaulted
    Demotions to save costs
    Morale in finance was at its worst
    Work life balance is terrible
    Except to work mandatory weekends and health care coverage was lousy
    Employees treated poorly and management is insensitive
    Never had an opportunity to take vacation
    I hated the job, it was a terrible company to work for. hated it

Advice to Management

Treat employees well

May 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your opinion. We always appreciate feedback from former employees and hope to utilize it to make NWL an even better place to work. Best of luck with your future endeavors.