Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

• Atlanta, GA
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

Absolute worst company that I've ever worked for

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

It's a steady job and many of my coworkers are nice people

Cons

The culture is terrible. There is no trust of employees to make decision. Hierarchy is law at Newell. Absolutely no work life balance. The new 'flexible hours' thing is a scam. You can't really have flexible hours The location is horrible. The criteria for me to be promoted is outside of what I'm allowed to do within my role

Advice to Management

There's really no point in giving advice. In a few years, the C suite will have taken their money and left, not caring that they played a major role in making countless people miserable at work

Jun 16, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Global Manager

Current Employee - Global Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Global Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good pay, but not great. - People are fantastic. - Great facilities. - Good IT - Flexibility to work remotely sometimes. - No longer top heavy. - Centralized mentality. - Open door policy. - Culturally diverse. - Employee Discounts

Cons

- Growth Game Plan works but the way it's being rolled out is burning out your people. - In my department since February we've had folks leaving and no replacements hired. - Was an office in Manhattan really needed when the company is in cost cutting mode? - Consultants everywhere and while some are there to truly help us, some are there because management doesn't trust its people and they act that way. - No clear career path and career discussions and few and far between. - Calibration sessions are far from fair and balanced. - Centralized mentality is there but the support to make it happen is not. Management will support those initiatives in the areas where it's noticeable, but in the smaller areas the support is non existent. - Huge turnover in HR - Putting a position out for hire takes forever. - Certain business segments still act superior to others and are given a longer leash by upper management which gets on the way of centralization once again. - Company stopped to the company wide employee engagement survey once they started seeing the results dip.

Advice to Management

- Company used to be top heavy and had locations everywhere to accommodate those high level people. - You started shrinking the footprint and focusing on centralization but not we're increasing the number of locations again. Do we really need offices in Chicago, Huntersville, Kalamazoo and NYC? Make Atlanta your true headquarters and close the rest and focus on improving your DCs and rewarding your people. - Have the courage to face the results of the engagement survey. - Wall St loves the company but employees who used to love it, today are stressed, work life balance is off balance and people are looking to leave. - You have to treat your people better. - And stop taking two steps forward and one step back in terms of the direction of the company. - It has been a revolving door of C level and VP level executives, think about what that does to your people.

Apr 30, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share with our leadership teams.

Brand Marketing Is A Mess

Current Employee - Director Brand Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director Brand Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great brands and lots of potential to grow the business.

Cons

Out of touch CMO who is inflexible and does not take the time or have the interest in really learning the business and is generally out of his depth. No credibility in the results reported on how well advertising and brand growth is truly doing - data manipulation is rampant. No collaboration encouraged from marketing leadership to effectively work with other functions in the company. Far too much cronyism with former Unilever employees which is killing the fabric of the brand marketing function.

Advice to Management

Newell's Board of Directors appear to only be looking at quarterly results and are sleepwalking through all of the growing issues in Brand Marketing. I have no faith the CEO has the courage or conviction to face these and other issues on the brand marketing side and effectively deal with them.

May 20, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We will be sure to share with our leadership team.

Senior Trade Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Trade Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation: base salary + bonus

Cons

lack of process, structure, long term planning, insights based decision making

Advice to Management

leverage insights to drive fact based selling. develop aligned incentives among functions.

Apr 24, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

This place is full of hypocrisy

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really nice co-workers Facilities- gym, cafe, overall office is open Multiple-brands

Cons

HR and Middle mgt give mixed information- there are rules only when it suits them Middle mgt- I feel like Upper Mgt is competent and entry-level hires are driven and ready to perform... middle mgt falls way short- especially when it comes to leadership skills and enabling those beneath you Multiple brands- every time you get a new role, you're 95% starting over... the amount of knowledge and history of our brands that we've lost in the past 3 years is actually insane. This isn't P&G, the benefits of owning multiple brands gets lost when they're isn't any synchronicity. The previous model of acquiring brands that completely owned their markets but have no commonalities is the reality we're living in now- we're killing their equity quickly.

Advice to Management

When the people below you look good, you look good. Insecurity breeds a bitter culture that'll spread like wildfire, take a look at our engagement scores for instance.

Apr 8, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We will share with leadership and encourage you to continue to share your feedback, so that we can help create an I want to work here culture.

7. BA in SAP Pricing

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (More than a year)

Pros

Ease of working with stake holder

Cons

Contract was short and the project ended

Advice to Management

None

Mar 25, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We hope you'll keep us in mind for future career opportunities.

Ever Changing with Very Poor Leadership!

Former Employee - Senior Global Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Global Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good brands, hard working people

Cons

- Very poor leadership - Poor culture - Political with who you know vs. what you know - No career development, simply reactive to issues, not strategic and no growth planning - This is a holding company not New product / innovation company.

Advice to Management

Sell company to a bigger CPG group like P&G, Stanley etc...The board look short term (3yrs) vs. long term

Apr 16, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Interesting Job Location Posts

Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Starbucks in the corporate office.

Cons

Interesting how Newell moved all their designers to Kalamazoo Michigan, yet continues to still post design job openings in cities that don't have design anymore, like Chicago and Atlanta.

Mar 25, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

Associate Manager, PR & Consumer Engagement

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

There is mutual trust and respect between employees and management

Cons

There are a number of mandatory, cumbersome processes that limit the company's ability to be nimble

Jan 6, 2015 – Talent Brand Manager

11. Excellent work environment, people, passion for brands

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work and have a career. Diversity of brands and rolls allow for continued career growth, a truly global business, first rate in business processes to support continued growth.

Cons

None. If you are opposed to change or want a carrer with the same routine, this is probably not a fit. People who thrive in a change environment will do well here.

Advice to Management

None

Nov 17, 2014 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

RSS Feed </> Embed