Newell Rubbermaid

Newell Rubbermaid Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk

Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site (in 18 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 19 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights
80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I am a supply chain leader at Newell, responsible for planning $200 million worth of inventory.

Supply Chain Leader (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAtlanta headquarters building is great. I work with a talented, friendly group of people. My career has advanced quickly in the six years since I've been with the company.

ConsNewell is going through a restructuring that is two years old now, with no end in sight. Lots of layoffs. Atmosphere of uncertainty pervades day-to-day operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet comfortable being uncomfortable.

Overall a good work environment

SAP Lead Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNewell is a medium sized company where you feel like you can make an impact. You are close enough to executive leadership that your voice can be heard if you so desire. We are making some changes to our organizational structure which I believe will help the company be very successful in the long term.

ConsRecent org changes can be challenging and frustrating for the employees. Often work of two or three people now falls to one individual. I would wait to make a move to this company until after things settle down. Perhaps in 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen making significant people and organization changes, lavish overpriced meetings in exotic locations in the months following is an inappropriate use of the company's money.

Inclusive Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe culture promotes working with other functional groups to gain and leverage knowledge to accomplish goals.

ConsCompany is growth by acquisition, so there is a lot of culture change and transformation that occors regularly

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to communicate a clear vision for each division and empower associates to move toward it

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Look elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prossalary good, office is beautiful

Consmorale is horrible and management constantly changes direction

Too many decisions being made by new managers that are not aware of the current situation

Director Supply Chain (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCompensation & benefits are good, but that has recently been affected as well.

ConsImportant decisions being made by new management that are unaware of the specifics.

Designers Beware

Designer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe people that I work with, including my manager and my team, are great. The portfolio of brands is really great especially if you are able to transfer internally from one division to another. The amenities in the Atlanta office are nice - Starbucks, cafeteria, gym, daycare.

ConsCareer progression seems to rocket for some and stagnate for many others. It seems more about who has taken you under your wing rather than just merit and hard work. It can be quite political here.

Designers be careful about joining. Though effort is being made to become a design-led company, this effort is going to be a long work in progress. Ask for the position/level of compensation you need because Newell has not been good to designers historically; few to no promotions.

The morale is really low due to major change management, and the culture just isn't like it was in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparent and effective communication would be a good starting point to building trust with employees. Business can be more than just financials - it has been proven that putting forth effort to build a strong culture with good morale makes employees more productive and willing to put in more time, ultimately leading to a better business. Pay attention to the softer side of business.

Fantastic place to start a career

Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people, good culture at some brands, growth opportunities

ConsConstantly restructuring, low salaries compared to the industry

Newell in the Growth Game Plan Era

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat corporate office, competitive salaries for area, proximity to good Atlanta suburbs, talented workforce in most positions. Tuition reimbursement program for higher learning. Flexible work hours in most positions. Global reach.

ConsCompany is a serial re-organizer. Things have recently started to stabilize under new CEO, but "Growth Game Plan" initiatives haven't made a major impact to many facets of the company yet. Must be self starter to get recognized and promoted. Doing status quo competitently isn't enough to advance. This is both a pro and con.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more effort developing talent already within organization, more transparency on long term plans from middle mangers to individual contributors.

Company is under growing pain

Supply Chain (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsTalented people, great workplace, flexible hours and competitive salaries

ConsReorganize management structure every year. Too many layoffs in few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus on bringing employees engaged in company objectives

Great place to excel if you don't mind playing a cut-throat corporate game and taking advantage of others.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood benefits
    Nice work environment (corporate headquarters)
    OK company discount
    Competitive environment

ConsHigh turnover
    Employee unrest and dissatisfaction is common
    Dog eat dog culture
    Lack of respect from management
    Secretive and elitist management styles are common
    Lack of team collaboration

Advice to Senior ManagementLacks candid communication and human-to-human interactions. Instead, bus-throwing and backstabbing excelerate people through the ranks. Hard work and positive results play a distant second to politics.

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!