Newell Rubbermaid

Updated September 15, 2014
3.3

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Company believes in work-life balance and the people there are great to work with (in 20 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 19 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

92 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I am a supply chain leader at Newell, responsible for planning $200 million worth of inventory.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Leader  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Atlanta headquarters building is great. I work with a talented, friendly group of people. My career has advanced quickly in the six years since I've been with the company.

Cons

Newell is going through a restructuring that is two years old now, with no end in sight. Lots of layoffs. Atmosphere of uncertainty pervades day-to-day operations.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable.

Overall a good work environment

Current Employee - SAP Lead Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - SAP Lead Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Newell is a medium sized company where you feel like you can make an impact. You are close enough to executive leadership that your voice can be heard if you so desire. We are making some changes to our organizational structure which I believe will help the company be very successful in the long term.

Cons

Recent org changes can be challenging and frustrating for the employees. Often work of two or three people now falls to one individual. I would wait to make a move to this company until after things settle down. Perhaps in 6 months.

When making significant people and organization changes, lavish overpriced meetings in exotic locations in the months following is an inappropriate use of the company's money.

Enjoy the opportunities, but don't plan to retire here

Former Employee - Quality Engineering Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Engineering Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities globally, for growth and experience, and it is strongly encouraged to consider various opportunities. In addition, there really are some great synergistic opportunities between brands and locations that will help expand one's sphere of influence. In a very real sense, employee's are encouraged to spread their wings and see how high they can fly. The pay is pretty good too, and the significant management bonus is always welcome, come late Winter!

Cons

It's a marketing company. Manufacturing is not the ROI champion, and overall, it's a dynamic numbers game. I love what Mike has been doing, but he is doing some major restructuring of the corporation. The result is layoffs among the manufacturing and support folks.

Be honest

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inclusive Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture promotes working with other functional groups to gain and leverage knowledge to accomplish goals.

Cons

Company is growth by acquisition, so there is a lot of culture change and transformation that occors regularly

Need to communicate a clear vision for each division and empower associates to move toward it

Worst experience ever in Internal Audit

Current Employee - Audit Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Audit Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than a year

Pros

gym, cafeteria, and company products

Cons

Internal Audit Department is a little kingdom of the VP. He has his "own" policies for his team members, applies rules differently if you are a YES person to what he says, That explains why he has had a turnover of 15-20 employees in his department in the last 4 years.

Check what happens in those little "kingdoms" and take appropriate actions

Look elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

salary good, office is beautiful

Cons

morale is horrible and management constantly changes direction

Too many decisions being made by new managers that are not aware of the current situation

Current Employee - Director Supply Chain  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director Supply Chain in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation & benefits are good, but that has recently been affected as well.

Cons

Important decisions being made by new management that are unaware of the specifics.

Designers Beware

Current Employee - Designer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

The people that I work with, including my manager and my team, are great. The portfolio of brands is really great especially if you are able to transfer internally from one division to another. The amenities in the Atlanta office are nice - Starbucks, cafeteria, gym, daycare.

Cons

Career progression seems to rocket for some and stagnate for many others. It seems more about who has taken you under your wing rather than just merit and hard work. It can be quite political here.

Designers be careful about joining. Though effort is being made to become a design-led company, this effort is going to be a long work in progress. Ask for the position/level of compensation you need because Newell has not been good to designers historically; few to no promotions.

The morale is really low due to major change management, and the culture just isn't like it was in the past.

Transparent and effective communication would be a good starting point to building trust with employees. Business can be more than just financials - it has been proven that putting forth effort to build a strong culture with good morale makes employees more productive and willing to put in more time, ultimately leading to a better business. Pay attention to the softer side of business.

Fantastic place to start a career

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, good culture at some brands, growth opportunities

Cons

Constantly restructuring, low salaries compared to the industry

Newell in the Growth Game Plan Era

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great corporate office, competitive salaries for area, proximity to good Atlanta suburbs, talented workforce in most positions. Tuition reimbursement program for higher learning. Flexible work hours in most positions. Global reach.

Cons

Company is a serial re-organizer. Things have recently started to stabilize under new CEO, but "Growth Game Plan" initiatives haven't made a major impact to many facets of the company yet. Must be self starter to get recognized and promoted. Doing status quo competitently isn't enough to advance. This is both a pro and con.

Spend more effort developing talent already within organization, more transparency on long term plans from middle mangers to individual contributors.

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!