Newell Rubbermaid

Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk

Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site(in 18 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll(in 18 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great(in 11 reviews)

Best company I have ever worked for.

ProsCoworkers are fun and professional - no gossip or drama.
    Lots of perks.
    Flexible and friendly managers.
    Sufficient training is provided.

ConsConstant change - which I love, but others don't.
    Working with other departments can be tricky. Things get lost in translation or misunderstood, but that can be with any large company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive reinforcement is awesome.

May 23, 2014

Thank you for your review! We are very glad to hear about your experience and are excited about the future of our company.

Excellent company to work for

potential operations manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsContinuously improving to better the organization and huge on safety. Great screening process for new employees and managers.

ConsNot many to report other then upper management listen to employees ideas a little more. All ideas are good just need to decipher what to use and what not to use.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work on how the company has grown. I love the seal program and how the company relies on the team members for there success.

May 23, 2014

Thank you for your review! It's definitely an exciting time to be a part of our company. We'd love to hear your ideas and encourage you to reach out to a member of the Employee Insights Team in ... More

Engineering Manager

Engineering Manager (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsIconic brands. I got to work with some fabulous people, most of which were laid off.

ConsNo stability, short sights plans except to make each quarter for the street and pay huge bonuses to leadership. I worked here 7 years and saw 5 ground up reorganizations. Staff turns were likely in excess of 50% per annum. People with more than 19 years tenure were routinely laid off. Nothing you could do made you safe from the perpetual re-org axe. I wasted my time and talents here.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat you do for the company is not worth the bonus you pay yourselves. The short term thinking will eventually leave you with nothing.

Newell Rubbermaid Talent Brand Manager responded to this review

Jul 22, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors!
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Global company , great people to work with

ProsPeople, global opportunities, good compensation

ConsHigh turnover, low employee morale

May 23, 2014

Thank you for your review! Change is always hard, but we are excited to hear that our leadership team is focused on building an "I want to work here" culture. Over the next several months, you'll ... More

No room for advancement or training working for people who do far less work than their subordinates.

Assembly Worker (Former Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsThe only pro to working here was the steady paycheck and abundance of chance for overtime.

ConsThe lack of respect for employees is one of the biggest drawback to working here. You are treated as an expendable asset and nothing more. Quotas are expected to be met, even when it's impossible. For example, when a safety meeting takes up an hour or more of the morning work time, you are still expected to meet the quota for 6 hours in 5.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect and understand that if you use up work time for meetings, the quota should be reduced.

May 23, 2014

Thank you for your opinion. We appreciate your feedback and will share with our engagement teams. We wish you all the best!

What's the plan?

Marketing (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people, hard workers. Many opportunities.

ConsManagement talks about being transparent but there always seems to be an air of "now what?" That has taken a toll on the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate on a more detailed level. Rebuild the culture so people want to be there.

May 23, 2014

Thank you for your review! This is helpful feedback and we'll share with our engagement team. This is an exciting time to be a part of our company and we want you to continue to be a part of it!

Used to be a great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosyou can learn a lot here,

Conspushing older employees out by overworking them and then replacing them with younger talented but inexperienced less paid people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to make the company look attractive to shareholders by cutting SG&A. Grow the TOP LINE

Great Growing Experience

Sourcing Intern (Current Employee) Huntersville, NC

ProsLots of professional and skill training opportunities.
    A very team oriented work environment.
    Autonomy was encouraged and in brainstorming and VA/VE events there was truly an atmosphere of no bad ideas.

ConsA lot corporate reorganization and upheaval.
    Had issues with finding the right people to contact at various plants.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the current reorg changes concrete and let the system grow from there. It's hard to be 100% productive when there's constant moving and everything seems to be in flux.

The only thing constant is change!

Pros-The people- teeming with genuinely good people
    -The opportunity- very entrepreneurial culture, lots of opportunity to step up and own high level projects. Plenty of room to grow with the ever-changing environment
    -The facilities- beautiful place to work, great cafe and gym

ConsThe downside to an ever-changing environment is the lack of process, thus lots of room for confusion and frustration. It seems like the moment you feel like you know what you're doing, leadership shakes it up again. There are pros/cons to this, but they are certainly developing "dynamic" skill sets in those who stick around!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it's wonderful to have a "one-newell" story, it'd be nice to hear how leadership is addressing key differences between the businesses. One peanut-butter spread method won't work in the short-term. I'm sure they've thought this out, but communicating it to us will let us know that they get it. If we know that they understand our unique challenges, we can trust them more as leaders!

Depressing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe money is decent
    Well known company
    Great cafeteria, gym and employee store

ConsSelf-esteem constantly assaulted
    Demotions to save costs
    Morale in finance was at its worst
    Work life balance is terrible
    Except to work mandatory weekends and health care coverage was lousy
    Employees treated poorly and management is insensitive
    Never had an opportunity to take vacation
    I hated the job, it was a terrible company to work for. hated it

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees well

May 23, 2014

Thank you for your opinion. We always appreciate feedback from former employees and hope to utilize it to make NWL an even better place to work. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!