Newell Rubbermaid

Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk

Michael B. Polk

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Great people to work with across different departments"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll"
    in 16 reviews
  • "There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hostile Work Environment

Atlanta, GA

ProsGood facilities and work/life balance

ConsExtremely hostile environment with in-fighting and finger-pointing between teams. Holding cell for Unilever flunkies, promised unearned promotions at Newell. Only the thick-skinned need apply. Very limited career development potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest money in recruiting best in class employees and leadership, instead of picking up leadership at a discount. Require that leadership report into HQ in order to fully grasp the problems and voids with the current structure.

A stable and growing company.

Distribution Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Winchester, VA

ProsStability, career advancement if you are in marketing and sales fields.

ConsIf you are an operations person, Newell Rubbermaid is not the place for you. The career advancement opportunites in certain portions of the business are stagnant and continue to stay that way. No growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNewell Rubbermaid needs to come up with a plan to keep growing but bringing along the people who help sustain that growth.

Good People, Temporary Senior Management

ProsAssociates in operational positions perform well above average and drive to meet or exceed objectives

ConsSenior Management changes frequency with little dedication to the company. Newell is a stepping stone company for VP's wanting to become presidents. The process involves working for 2-3 yrs to improve the budget numbers enough to allow a upward movement. Very few VP's or division presidents have dedicated more then 3-4 years to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome dedicated to the associates running the business and less to your career development.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The future looks bright for Newell...

Pros- Employees are passionate about the brands
    - Lots of incentives, fun place to work
    - Plenty of room to move up the corporate ladder, in the future
    - Global company reach means you can work in many different places around the world

Cons- Going through a lot of changes which limits the current job opportunities
    - Most likely will be asked to move locations at some point in your career
    - Currently difficult for interns to get a full-time position

Pretty good job...

Process Technician (Current Employee)
    Winchester, VA

ProsMoney is good.

ConsProduction varies and there is a lot of conflicting direction. No good career path to better yourself & established training is lacking.

Great opportunities for career growth and personal development.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsFacilities are top notch (I love the fitness center, cafe, and on-site Starbucks.) AMAZING daycare opportunity in Atlanta location. Career growth opportunities are plentiful. Really incredible coworkers - Newell was truly a place I enjoyed coming to work at each day.

ConsBenefits aren't terrific, but salary is typically strong. There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great. Very little opportunity for telecommuting, which is a disappointment.

Great company to work for.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat work life balance. Great benefits.

ConsThe pay wasn't great and annual raises were not in line with standard cost of living increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a clearer picture for advancement.

Great learning opportunity if you survive the culture!

Finance Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGood pay, modern facility w/ great amenities (daycare, gym, cafe, free beverages, covered parking), consistent roll-out of processes and initiatives across the organization, looks good on the resume thus good launching pad for next career opportunity.

ConsUnclear expectations, manage up mentality AKA sink or swim, although the company seems to be making strides for parents they seem to prefer young adults without children, diversity program is fairly new and seems to be a facade for consumers (we employ the type of customers we serve), benefits are expensive, limited product discounts, corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate culture and help employees thrive through more robust avenues to better understand and navigate corporate politics. Put a system in place ensuring those in leadership positions, more specifically manage people, know how to manage and their performance is evaluated by direct reports.

Really Good People, mostly disfunctional

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people to work with and good brands with some good products

ConsThe health benefits are not good and a career path is fuzzy at best unless you are "in"

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's work to retain good employees. Aside from the people who were forced to leave, there have been some very talented people walk out the door. There are a combined few hundred years of knowledge walking out the door.

A Work In Progress

Senior Trade/Channel Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt's getting disciplined and forcing rigor and planning into the everyday pace of business. It's delivering on its commitment.

ConsThe entrepreneurial spirit is gone. There is little autonomy to make your own decisions. The culture is lacking and there tends to be more conflict than collaboration. People are not rewarded for their contributions at levels commensurate with the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the comp structure and let people have more responsibility. Not all decisions need to be made by the executive leadership team.

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!

Newell Rubbermaid Videos

Newell Rubbermaid – Why Work for Us?

It's an incredibly exciting time at Newell Rubbermaid. Our future is bright and our potential is unlimited. We are at a defining moment in our history - one that we are confident will shape who we are and how our story… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newell Rubbermaid reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newell Rubbermaid CEO Michael B. Polk. All 272 reviews posted anonymously by Newell Rubbermaid employees.