Newell Rubbermaid

Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk

Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site(in 18 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll(in 18 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great(in 11 reviews)

Depressing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe money is decent
    Well known company
    Great cafeteria, gym and employee store

ConsSelf-esteem constantly assaulted
    Demotions to save costs
    Morale in finance was at its worst
    Work life balance is terrible
    Except to work mandatory weekends and health care coverage was lousy
    Employees treated poorly and management is insensitive
    Never had an opportunity to take vacation
    I hated the job, it was a terrible company to work for. hated it

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees well

Newell Rubbermaid Campus Recruiter responded to this review

May 23, 2014

Thank you for your opinion. We always appreciate feedback from former employees and hope to utilize it to make NWL an even better place to work. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

The people really make a difference!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNewell Rubbermaid is a great place to work. Everyone is hard-working, friendly and really care about each other. The facilities and amenities are top notch! It would take alot for me to leave the company.

ConsLike many companies, we have been going through restructuring for the past couple of years which can get exhausting. We are moving in the right strategic direction, but need to focus on our people again.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent and understand our business before making "strategic decisions". It comes across as unorganized.

Too Much Change!!!

ProsDecent pay and good work/life balance.

ConsI've worked here for many years and the change never stops. Every time the organization gets settled, another drastic wave of changes happens to throw everything off again.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on one thing and stick with it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company if not for the constant restructuring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe salary and bonus/incentive plans are good if you are the director level or above. There WAS opportunity for promotion in most areas, however that has been precluded by the repeated restructuring. There was a great culture for years (within all business units) that was deeply imbedded, although that has been turned into an "all about the numbers" culture by the current CEO and his team.

ConsAt one time (many, many years ago) a company that people felt proud to work for, however now it's just a job. The brands stood out in conversations outside of the office and non-employees seemed envious. Revolving doors for executives in the business units make it difficult to establish a consistent business rhythm and has resulted in people leaving or being forced out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know the issues, it is simply a matter of whether they wish to address them or just collect their huge stock options and move on in the next 24 months or less.

Good Products, Great People, needs stability and clarity

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with, good products with strong brand names

ConsLots of restructuring. New structure (especially in Marketing) has left a lot ambiguity over roles and responsibilities. Less people, same amount of work, and not a lot of clarity over who does what (and who has authority to approve or make decisions). Also - huge bottleneck in decision making. All decisions seem to be made at the top by people unfamiliar with our customers or what it takes to go to market. Middle and Senior level managers are not empowered to make decisions, which leads to frustration all around and slow turnaround.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive managers and the people on the ground the ability to make decisions.

A stable and growing company.

Distribution Supervisor (Current Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsStability, career advancement if you are in marketing and sales fields.

ConsIf you are an operations person, Newell Rubbermaid is not the place for you. The career advancement opportunites in certain portions of the business are stagnant and continue to stay that way. No growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNewell Rubbermaid needs to come up with a plan to keep growing but bringing along the people who help sustain that growth.

Love the people and amenities!

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe office culture was pretty laid back. Everyone was really nice and easy to work with, but also hard working. The insurance benefits, gym and cafeteria were all great.

ConsIn my department, there wasn't much support for telecommuting, but in Atlanta traffic, telecommuting would have been a plus. Unfortunately company restructuring lead to my department being relocating to a different state.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more opportunities to grow or more clear career paths.

Team Lead

ProsThey Care about their employees

Consrevolving door in the management

Pretty good job...

Process Technician (Current Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsMoney is good.

ConsProduction varies and there is a lot of conflicting direction. No good career path to better yourself & established training is lacking.

The future looks bright for Newell...

Pros- Employees are passionate about the brands
    - Lots of incentives, fun place to work
    - Plenty of room to move up the corporate ladder, in the future
    - Global company reach means you can work in many different places around the world

Cons- Going through a lot of changes which limits the current job opportunities
    - Most likely will be asked to move locations at some point in your career
    - Currently difficult for interns to get a full-time position

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!