Newell Rubbermaid

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk

Michael B. Polk

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Growing Experience

Sourcing Intern (Current Employee)
Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid as an intern for less than a year

ProsLots of professional and skill training opportunities.
A very team oriented work environment.
Autonomy was encouraged and in brainstorming and VA/VE events there was truly an atmosphere of no bad ideas.

ConsA lot corporate reorganization and upheaval.
Had issues with finding the right people to contact at various plants.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the current reorg changes concrete and let the system grow from there. It's hard to be 100% productive when there's constant moving and everything seems to be in flux.

Good growth experience

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat co-workers, exposure to different brands

ConsConstant shifting of job responsibilities and major layoffs have morale low and people looking over their shoulder all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication and more across-the-board policies that all managers follow.

Great place for designers = total truth

Senior Industrial Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked at Newell Rubbermaid for a bit over eight years and, due to personal issues with my children's custody, could not move to the new design center. There is another person who is posting as 'senior designer' who has made multiple rant posts regarding a negative experience at Newell. Even though I am leaving the organization, this is my choice and the management team has been incredibly supportive by not only providing me a years notice of the changes that were coming, but also my director and vice president are personally assisting me in locating a new job. If I could have made the move I would have, as the past structure did not offer as many opportunities for advancement as the new structure will. I hope at some point my circumstances change and I can rejoin the team. In the meantime, I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences at Newell.

ConsThe company is in the middle of a strategy to move from a holding company to an operating company. If you like a holding company model, this is not the place for you. If you like being a part of dramatic change and a fast paced environment you should consider Newell.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe patient with employees who are working very hard to make the company strategy work

Exciting company for a design career

Industrial Design Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInsipirational leadership, world class resources, a dynamic global corporate culture that makes for a very exciting and fun environment for work. Very supportive management of development opportunities, I have learned more in the last six months than I have the last six years.

ConsA few very bitter designers who have not gotten on board with the company's direction to become more global and more integrated. Its too bad many of them have not even given the new strategy a chance - their loss.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course and continue to focus Newell on becoming a design led company. We have made impressive progress in the past year with new talent, new structure and ways of interacting. Everyone will need to be patient as this will take time, but the strategy is correct and our leadership in the design area is second to none. Some designers would like Newell to go back to the 'way it was', small disconnected groups of designers with some sr designers acting like big fish in a small pond. This did not work well for the past 10+ years I have been with the company, it is time for a new direction.

I am proud to work at Newell Rubbermaid and I feel it is a great company to have a great career and I am excited about the new company direction we are helping to build.

Face paced and rewarding but difficult on your personal life

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat training, strong brands, excellent people

ConsHard work/life balance - long hours, demanding travel schedule, constantly shifting strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy and stick with it for more than a quarter!

“Exciting company for a design career” = Total lie

Senior Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou will a lot of good people who become good friends.

ConsAny positive reviews on the Design Center move to Kalamzoo Michigan, are absolutely written by executives who have the luxury of keeping their jobs with out actually having to move to Kalamazoo. The rest of the designers in the company were forced with moving to Kalamazoo, with no guarantee on what their positions would be or even their future in the company would be. Designers had to agree to a two year stint, with no guarantee that Newell wouldn't restructure again and you'd be out of a job, stuck in a place you didn't want to be in the first place, with getting back to an area you wanted to be on your own dime.

Current designers were required to interview for "promotion" jobs, if they were lucky to find the job posting online. Most job openings were already slatted to friends of the new higher ups.

This is not the place for Designers, trust me. This review has nothing to do with being bitter, just frustrated to see the lies coming from Newell about this move, trying to make designers who left, look bad for not drinking the kool-aid. Look at how many job positing's have gone up on Core77, or Indeed for designers in the past several months. If this these reviews were from a few bitter designers, they wouldn't have needed to pretty much rehire the entire design group, both Graphics and Industrial.

Good Experience but could be better

Product Marketing Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

ProsGreat products, always fun to work for a company that makes products you can relate to. Had a great manager that cared a lot about my experiences and skills development. Others at the company are also great to work with.

ConsCompany is currently struggling and facing new leadership, downsizing, and slow performance. I worked there as an intern and was not given a full time offer (none of my fellow interns were either) due to restructuring. Worst part was that managers likely knew that I would not be hired for full time because of budgeting but did not communicate this until many months after the internship was over.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open and honest with how the company is doing and job prospects to interns through the interview process and job.

Worst employer I've ever encountered

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid

ProsYou sometimes get some free products, especially from all the rejected "ideas". Worked with a lot of very nice people, many of which were very smart and business saavy - coming from a variety of different backgrounds.

ConsPoor leadership; no vision; no articulated strategy. For a consumer goods company they have a very limited view and use of consumer insight even though they talk a big story.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are in the 21st century - wake-up and smell the coffee. You do not encourage employees to consider new ways of doing things, you are very hierarchical and you over-inflate consumer's evaluation of your brands.

Great place to work, need better work/life balance policy

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid

ProsGreat team environment
Great learning culture
Good structure within the departments
Amazing senior level management

ConsLong hours are common place
Work life balance is non-existent
Lot of approvals for new projects/opportunities
Vague responses to rumors about company being sold

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the small people... they always make a big difference.

Rubbermaid - not as good as it used to be

Channel Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

ProsThe people are great to work with. There personalities are laid back and fun.

ConsNo career advancement, no timeline for growth, pay is not comparable to marketplace, everyone is overworked and overstressed, management does not care about the people that work here - especially the loyal ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people when they are giving feedback about the company and what needs to change. We are not just saying these things for the fun of it. You are starting to lose a lot of good people and I am sure there are a lot more to come.

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!

Newell Rubbermaid Videos

Newell Rubbermaid – Why Work for Us?

It's an incredibly exciting time at Newell Rubbermaid. Our future is bright and our potential is unlimited. We are at a defining moment in our history - one that we are confident will shape who we are and how our story… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newell Rubbermaid reviews and ratings in Huntersville, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newell Rubbermaid CEO Michael B. Polk. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Newell Rubbermaid employees.