Newell Rubbermaid

Updated June 20, 2014
3.3

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Company believes in work-life balance and the people there are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 19 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Improvement is imminent

Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really love the laid back culture - being able to wear jeans to work everyday, and having (manager-approved) flexible work hours/work from home from time to time allows for great work life balance. Also, it is nice working for a company that has such strong and exciting brands that you see everyday while at the office, at home, out shopping, etc.

Cons

Challenges with career development (no clear career pathing) and making sure that top talent is being rewarded and recognized for the work that they are putting in. Morale has been low for the past 2 years with lots of corporate restructuring, however we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and things seem to be getting better.

Talk to the people with their "boots on the ground" to hear their painpoints, concerns, etc. Consider a formal work from home policy to save on office and overhead costs and keep personnel happy. Trickle bonuses down to all people who are executing - not just managers and above, but consider the "workerbees" who are getting the job done every day as well

Newell Rubbermaid Response

Jun 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we'll be sure that the right teams and leadership receives it. With mid-year reviews coming up, it's a great time to discuss your ... More

Great Growing Experience

Current Employee - Sourcing Intern in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Sourcing Intern in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of professional and skill training opportunities.
    A very team oriented work environment.
    Autonomy was encouraged and in brainstorming and VA/VE events there was truly an atmosphere of no bad ideas.

Cons

A lot corporate reorganization and upheaval.
    Had issues with finding the right people to contact at various plants.

Make the current reorg changes concrete and let the system grow from there. It's hard to be 100% productive when there's constant moving and everything seems to be in flux.

Good growth experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, exposure to different brands

Cons

Constant shifting of job responsibilities and major layoffs have morale low and people looking over their shoulder all the time

Better communication and more across-the-board policies that all managers follow.

Great place for designers = total truth

Former Employee - Senior Industrial Designer in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Industrial Designer in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid for a bit over eight years and, due to personal issues with my children's custody, could not move to the new design center. There is another person who is posting as 'senior designer' who has made multiple rant posts regarding a negative experience at Newell. Even though I am leaving the organization, this is my choice and the management team has been incredibly supportive by not only providing me a years notice of the changes that were coming, but also my director and vice president are personally assisting me in locating a new job. If I could have made the move I would have, as the past structure did not offer as many opportunities for advancement as the new structure will. I hope at some point my circumstances change and I can rejoin the team. In the meantime, I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences at Newell.

Cons

The company is in the middle of a strategy to move from a holding company to an operating company. If you like a holding company model, this is not the place for you. If you like being a part of dramatic change and a fast paced environment you should consider Newell.

Be patient with employees who are working very hard to make the company strategy work

Exciting company for a design career

Current Employee - Industrial Design Manager in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Industrial Design Manager in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Insipirational leadership, world class resources, a dynamic global corporate culture that makes for a very exciting and fun environment for work. Very supportive management of development opportunities, I have learned more in the last six months than I have the last six years.

Cons

A few very bitter designers who have not gotten on board with the company's direction to become more global and more integrated. Its too bad many of them have not even given the new strategy a chance - their loss.

Stay the course and continue to focus Newell on becoming a design led company. We have made impressive progress in the past year with new talent, new structure and ways of interacting. Everyone will need to be patient as this will take time, but the strategy is correct and our leadership in the design area is second to none. Some designers would like Newell to go back to the 'way it was', small disconnected groups of designers with some sr designers acting like big fish in a small pond. This did not work well for the past 10+ years I have been with the company, it is time for a new direction.

I am proud to work at Newell Rubbermaid and I feel it is a great company to have a great career and I am excited about the new company direction we are helping to build.

Face paced and rewarding but difficult on your personal life

Former Employee - Product Manager in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training, strong brands, excellent people

Cons

Hard work/life balance - long hours, demanding travel schedule, constantly shifting strategy

Pick a strategy and stick with it for more than a quarter!

“Exciting company for a design career” = Total lie

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You will a lot of good people who become good friends.

Cons

Any positive reviews on the Design Center move to Kalamzoo Michigan, are absolutely written by executives who have the luxury of keeping their jobs with out actually having to move to Kalamazoo. The rest of the designers in the company were forced with moving to Kalamazoo, with no guarantee on what their positions would be or even their future in the company would be. Designers had to agree to a two year stint, with no guarantee that Newell wouldn't restructure again and you'd be out of a job, stuck in a place you didn't want to be in the first place, with getting back to an area you wanted to be on your own dime.

Current designers were required to interview for "promotion" jobs, if they were lucky to find the job posting online. Most job openings were already slatted to friends of the new higher ups.

This is not the place for Designers, trust me. This review has nothing to do with being bitter, just frustrated to see the lies coming from Newell about this move, trying to make designers who left, look bad for not drinking the kool-aid. Look at how many job positing's have gone up on Core77, or Indeed for designers in the past several months. If this these reviews were from a few bitter designers, they wouldn't have needed to pretty much rehire the entire design group, both Graphics and Industrial.

Good Experience but could be better

Current Employee - Product Marketing Intern in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Intern in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Great products, always fun to work for a company that makes products you can relate to. Had a great manager that cared a lot about my experiences and skills development. Others at the company are also great to work with.

Cons

Company is currently struggling and facing new leadership, downsizing, and slow performance. I worked there as an intern and was not given a full time offer (none of my fellow interns were either) due to restructuring. Worst part was that managers likely knew that I would not be hired for full time because of budgeting but did not communicate this until many months after the internship was over.

Be more open and honest with how the company is doing and job prospects to interns through the interview process and job.

Worst employer I've ever encountered

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

You sometimes get some free products, especially from all the rejected "ideas". Worked with a lot of very nice people, many of which were very smart and business saavy - coming from a variety of different backgrounds.

Cons

Poor leadership; no vision; no articulated strategy. For a consumer goods company they have a very limited view and use of consumer insight even though they talk a big story.

We are in the 21st century - wake-up and smell the coffee. You do not encourage employees to consider new ways of doing things, you are very hierarchical and you over-inflate consumer's evaluation of your brands.

Great place to work, need better work/life balance policy

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Great team environment
    Great learning culture
    Good structure within the departments
    Amazing senior level management

Cons

Long hours are common place
    Work life balance is non-existent
    Lot of approvals for new projects/opportunities
    Vague responses to rumors about company being sold

Remember the small people... they always make a big difference.