Newell Rubbermaid

Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk

Michael B. Polk

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Great people to work with across different departments"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Benefits are awful and I definitely do not have work/life balance in my job"
    in 14 reviews
  • "senior management thinks opportunistically and has no vision for big ideas"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Growing Experience

Sourcing Intern (Current Employee)
Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid as an intern for less than a year

ProsLots of professional and skill training opportunities.
A very team oriented work environment.
Autonomy was encouraged and in brainstorming and VA/VE events there was truly an atmosphere of no bad ideas.

ConsA lot corporate reorganization and upheaval.
Had issues with finding the right people to contact at various plants.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the current reorg changes concrete and let the system grow from there. It's hard to be 100% productive when there's constant moving and everything seems to be in flux.

The only thing constant is change!

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid for more than 3 years

Pros-The people- teeming with genuinely good people
-The opportunity- very entrepreneurial culture, lots of opportunity to step up and own high level projects. Plenty of room to grow with the ever-changing environment
-The facilities- beautiful place to work, great cafe and gym

ConsThe downside to an ever-changing environment is the lack of process, thus lots of room for confusion and frustration. It seems like the moment you feel like you know what you're doing, leadership shakes it up again. There are pros/cons to this, but they are certainly developing "dynamic" skill sets in those who stick around!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it's wonderful to have a "one-newell" story, it'd be nice to hear how leadership is addressing key differences between the businesses. One peanut-butter spread method won't work in the short-term. I'm sure they've thought this out, but communicating it to us will let us know that they get it. If we know that they understand our unique challenges, we can trust them more as leaders!

The people really make a difference!

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNewell Rubbermaid is a great place to work. Everyone is hard-working, friendly and really care about each other. The facilities and amenities are top notch! It would take alot for me to leave the company.

ConsLike many companies, we have been going through restructuring for the past couple of years which can get exhausting. We are moving in the right strategic direction, but need to focus on our people again.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent and understand our business before making "strategic decisions". It comes across as unorganized.

Love the people and amenities!

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe office culture was pretty laid back. Everyone was really nice and easy to work with, but also hard working. The insurance benefits, gym and cafeteria were all great.

ConsIn my department, there wasn't much support for telecommuting, but in Atlanta traffic, telecommuting would have been a plus. Unfortunately company restructuring lead to my department being relocating to a different state.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more opportunities to grow or more clear career paths.

Team Lead

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey Care about their employees

Consrevolving door in the management

Constant change

Industrial Designer (Current Employee)
Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, nice offices, nice benefits.

ConsRecently took a new job in Newell's design department. After 6 months, they just got rid of the group that I was with, the Advance Concept team. Not sure what is next, my job is "safe", but not what I applied for. Seems that this is the norm for Newell. No real direction, no real plan. Just going which ever way the wind blows.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou won't listen even if we told you.

Good company if not for the constant restructuring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe salary and bonus/incentive plans are good if you are the director level or above. There WAS opportunity for promotion in most areas, however that has been precluded by the repeated restructuring. There was a great culture for years (within all business units) that was deeply imbedded, although that has been turned into an "all about the numbers" culture by the current CEO and his team.

ConsAt one time (many, many years ago) a company that people felt proud to work for, however now it's just a job. The brands stood out in conversations outside of the office and non-employees seemed envious. Revolving doors for executives in the business units make it difficult to establish a consistent business rhythm and has resulted in people leaving or being forced out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know the issues, it is simply a matter of whether they wish to address them or just collect their huge stock options and move on in the next 24 months or less.

Too Much Change!!!

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

ProsDecent pay and good work/life balance.

ConsI've worked here for many years and the change never stops. Every time the organization gets settled, another drastic wave of changes happens to throw everything off again.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on one thing and stick with it.

Good Products, Great People, needs stability and clarity

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people to work with, good products with strong brand names

ConsLots of restructuring. New structure (especially in Marketing) has left a lot ambiguity over roles and responsibilities. Less people, same amount of work, and not a lot of clarity over who does what (and who has authority to approve or make decisions). Also - huge bottleneck in decision making. All decisions seem to be made at the top by people unfamiliar with our customers or what it takes to go to market. Middle and Senior level managers are not empowered to make decisions, which leads to frustration all around and slow turnaround.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive managers and the people on the ground the ability to make decisions.

A stable and growing company.

Distribution Supervisor (Current Employee)
Winchester, VA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStability, career advancement if you are in marketing and sales fields.

ConsIf you are an operations person, Newell Rubbermaid is not the place for you. The career advancement opportunites in certain portions of the business are stagnant and continue to stay that way. No growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNewell Rubbermaid needs to come up with a plan to keep growing but bringing along the people who help sustain that growth.

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!

Newell Rubbermaid Videos

Newell Rubbermaid – Why Work for Us?

It's an incredibly exciting time at Newell Rubbermaid. Our future is bright and our potential is unlimited. We are at a defining moment in our history - one that we are confident will shape who we are and how our story… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newell Rubbermaid reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newell Rubbermaid CEO Michael B. Polk. All 247 reviews posted anonymously by Newell Rubbermaid employees.