Newell Rubbermaid

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Company believes in work-life balance and the people there are great to work with (in 25 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 21 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Management really gets involved with their team. You're also able to work in a team setting or independently with ease. No micromanaging.

Cons

Wish I could get hired in sooner

None

Dec 18, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. Be sure to reach out to the Talent Acquisition team and let them know of your interest. As new positions become available they can keep you in mind.

na

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

people are friendly and helpful

Cons

very large organization with many layers of process

na

Dec 18, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

A good company starts with great people, and Newell Rubbermaid has them.

Current Employee - Product Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The range of product provides unique challenges and opportunities to grow your skill set. The people that make up the heart of the company are awesome! The middle management, which is often the bane of a company, is top notch (unbelievable right? but it's true). The pay is good and the facilities are nice.

Cons

Because it operated like a holding company in the past, logistics of working with your team can be challenging. While the company has provided significant resources for e-collaboration, sometimes a good face-to-face is necessary. Luckily, if the business case is there, travel is most often approved. These are growing pains as the company transitions to a more holistic, matricized approach to product development.

The intellectual property process could use some tweaking. Some form of financial incentive for IP generation could spark innovation.

Dec 15, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

Health Benefits are terrible, people are great

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have never worked with such a wonderful group of people. Managers are supportive of career growth, passionate, professional co workers, gym on site.

Cons

Benefits, very intesne work load. Youre expected to be available after hours and weekends. Changes are never ending..Revolving door

Dec 10, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

Design in on the way up...slowly.

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Great people, good culture, good work life balance.

Cons

Pay is on the low end among peer companies.

Positive change has to start from the top down, not from the bottom up.

Dec 3, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

Very good company to work for

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Everyone gets along at rubbrrmaid

Cons

Doesn't need a union only protects non workers

Thank you for your review.

Extraordinarily fortunate company blessed with top power brands and top notch employees.

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Consistently delivers the best brands. Regular employees are dedicated, good people with strong work ethics and a good work/life balance.

Cons

Upper management lives in a vacuum, surrounded by an ivory tower, complete with soundproof ear muffs over their ears.

Quit wasting money with Bain Consulting.

Dec 15, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We welcome your feedback and encourage you to share more specifics and/or recommendations with our leaders. Feel free to email the engagement team at ... More

Human resources Assistant

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Professionnal ethics, beautiful values, amazing people, good ambiance, real feeling of belonging to the company, multicultural environnement. Wishing to build together and in team building.

Cons

Newell is a company with several Business Unit which are fondamentally relevant and so supplementary.

Good management, gratefully and proposing some trainings, learning and development and always in order to enhance skills.

Nov 17, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We think it's a pretty great place to work too. We wish you the best of luck and hope you'll keep us in mind for future career opportunities.

I love working there. Trying to get hired on full-time

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Great environment, supervisors listen to their employees on ideas to help with efficiency. They care about the employees, even the temps. Always evolving to higher productivity. The team leaders are great cheerleaders when someone is having a bad day.

Cons

Getting hired through the company takes way too long and I think in turn it makes turn over increase.

The advice I have is to maybe hire on some temps a little bit more because there are quite a few that love it there. I love my job and its because of you guys at our maryville tn sharpie plant. Thank you!

Nov 17, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that you enjoy working at Newell and encourage you to work with your Human Resources Business Partner on next steps in the process.

Great People, Great Intern Projects/Development

Former Employee - R&D Intern in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - R&D Intern in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are very friendly. I was surprised at how friendly, as I was coming from some other hardcore engineering companies.

Work every intern did was meaningful. Some actually had an impact on the company and product development moving forward. Some interns weren't as successful with theirs, but they made some cool projects nonetheless.

Freedom of creativity in your designs; no micromanagement. Could always ask for help, but they really let you do you, which is really great.

Work-life balance was encouraged, especially with "summer hours" (you could leave early on Friday if you worked a bit extra each day of the week).

Lots of fun, planned activities for interns (baseball game, white water rafting, bowling, etc...)

Pair you with a mentor so you can get acclimated with a friendly employee that isn't your boss.

Free coffee (Starbucks), free soda, free popcorn. Often times free lunch if there was leftovers after a meeting/you were in a meeting at lunchtime.

Great intern class (very social, met a lot of great people).

Cons

Had my own project/budget/timeline, so I didn't get to see much of what daily work was like for engineers there.

No overtime pay for interns. (I worked quite a bit of overtime, because I was driven to complete my project, and complete it well, within my 3 months. It is definitely NOT required, and, most importantly, NOT encouraged.)

Because work life balance (as in, leaving exactly at 5pm) is so common, I think some projects took a little longer than they needed to.

Housing stipend was a bit low for such short-term, furnished leases.

Keep recruiting interns/employees from outside of the area. This forces them to hang out together/become friends!

Nov 17, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our interns and am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us! We hope you'll consider us for full-time opportunities next year.