Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

358 reviews filtered by
3.2
Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Company believes in work-life balance and the people there are great to work with (in 25 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 21 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

1. R&D Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid as an intern

Pros

Great company benefits (discounts on most - if not all - Newell Rubbermaid products). High spirited atmosphere (there was a World Cup viewing party). Good cafeteria (healthy options available). Wonderful coworkers.

Cons

Its located in Sandy Springs. Meaning if you want to live in Atlanta, you have a bad commute. From downtown, it takes over an hour by car or MARTA.

Advice to Management

Longer internships; possibly 6 months. And 1 day of vacation earned for every month that an intern has worked there. Also, start training interns the very first week.

2. It was good for a warehouse.

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

Seeing the Distribution Process. High hours for good pay.

Cons

Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Long hours in the middle of the summer and winter. High hours for little rest.

Global Manager

Current Employee - Global Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Global Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good pay, but not great.
    - People are fantastic.
    - Great facilities.
    - Good IT
    - Flexibility to work remotely sometimes.
    - No longer top heavy.
    - Centralized mentality.
    - Open door policy.
    - Culturally diverse.
    - Employee Discounts

Cons

- Growth Game Plan works but the way it's being rolled out is burning out your people.
    - In my department since February we've had folks leaving and no replacements hired.
    - Was an office in Manhattan really needed when the company is in cost cutting mode?
    - Consultants everywhere and while some are there to truly help us, some are there because management doesn't trust its people and they act that way.
    - No clear career path and career discussions and few and far between.
    - Calibration sessions are far from fair and balanced.
    - Centralized mentality is there but the support to make it happen is not. Management will support those initiatives in the areas where it's noticeable, but in the smaller areas the support is non existent.
    - Huge turnover in HR
    - Putting a position out for hire takes forever.
    - Certain business segments still act superior to others and are given a longer leash by upper management which gets on the way of centralization once again.
    - Company stopped to the company wide employee engagement survey once they started seeing the results dip.

Advice to Management

- Company used to be top heavy and had locations everywhere to accommodate those high level people.
    - You started shrinking the footprint and focusing on centralization but not we're increasing the number of locations again. Do we really need offices in Chicago, Huntersville, Kalamazoo and NYC? Make Atlanta your true headquarters and close the rest and focus on improving your DCs and rewarding your people.
    - Have the courage to face the results of the engagement survey.
    - Wall St loves the company but employees who used to love it, today are stressed, work life balance is off balance and people are looking to leave.
    - You have to treat your people better.
    - And stop taking two steps forward and one step back in terms of the direction of the company.
    - It has been a revolving door of C level and VP level executives, think about what that does to your people.

Apr 30, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share with our leadership teams.

5. order picker

Former Contractor - Outbound Order Picker in Brimfield, OH
    Former Contractor - Outbound Order Picker in Brimfield, OH

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

close to home. people are good.

Cons

use and abuse temp workers tell you your doing good then let you go for no reason.

Advice to Management

don't lie tell people when they are doing something wrong then give them a chance to fix it

Senior Trade Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Trade Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation: base salary + bonus

Cons

lack of process, structure, long term planning, insights based decision making

Advice to Management

leverage insights to drive fact based selling. develop aligned incentives among functions.

Thank you for your review.

Recently let go after 20+ years of service(accident free) when entire department were suspended for same violation

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Cleveland, TN
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Cleveland, TN

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

Great discounts on purchasing products from all of newell's companies

Cons

For years, production workers are treated as too easy replaced but haven't had a full crew in years.In the Cleveland Tn plant often it's over 95 degrees because of needing humidity in order for machines to run the cheapened products.Let's not forget the .25 lump sum raises you get every 16-18 months which keeps you at the same pay level not even covering a cost of living increase

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the supervisors and upper management at the Cleveland plant and see if they're getting too much credit for production numbers and not enough blame for the safety record

Marketing

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Great career development and training.

Cons

Constant turmoil and reorganization creates hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Give the organization a chance to gel.

Apr 20, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

Great place to work, as long as you are not in HR

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Amazing people and brands. Beautiful HQ, onsite gym and cafe. Really great coworkers! Cool things coming, like flexible work schedule and the chance to work abroad.

Cons

I recently chose to leave NWL after having been with the company for years. I love the products and I love the people and I would definitely suggest taking a job there, as long as it is not in HR. They say they are creating an “I want to work here” culture, but it’s really just the opposite. Everything is numbers driven, the processes are a mess and the leader is extremely challenging. It was hard to leave because I loved my coworkers and the brands are awesome, but there is a really thick layer of gunk over the HR organization. It’s sad to see some of the “lifers” who have grown up at NWL being treated poorly and pushed out, all because of a poor leadership strategy.

Advice to Management

A lot of people are leaving HR right now, because it's a huge mess. The problem is, though, instead of admitting it's a leadership issue, they're taking an attitude of "that person couldn't handle the new world of NWL." Most people can handle a lot of workplace challenges - that has nothing to do with it. It's when you treat people poorly enough for so long, though, that they realize they DONT want to spend 40-60 hours a week in a mess of an environment, where leaders say they want an "i want to work here culture" but really just want numbers to be hit and paperwork to be filled out.

You can roll out as many cool programs for employees (like flex schedule) as you want, but you still have to treat the people who are rolling it out better. Creating a positive culture is more than just saying you're doing it - you have to invest in people, treat them well, say thank you and show support. Saying it's an "I want to work here culture" doesn't make it one.

I hope things in HR get turned around soon, because it’s a shame to see the people who are supposed to be engaging employees so disengaged, dejected and overworked.

Mar 31, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will share with our leadership team. We wish you the best of luck and hope that you'll keep Newell Rubbermaid in mind for future career ... More

10. Reporting Speicalist

Current Employee - Reporting Specialist in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Reporting Specialist in High Point, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

Salary needs to be increased

Apr 17, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

11. Great company, lots of change and growing pains, but will be over in a few years

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Very willing to allow you to move around company. Great benefits

Cons

Currently lots of change and growing pains.

Mar 30, 2015Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!