Newell Rubbermaid

Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk

Michael B. Polk

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Great people to work with across different departments"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll"
    in 16 reviews
  • "There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love it here.

ProsPeople, degrees of freedom and the proximity to the Perimeter. This place is really a good place to work.

ConsUnstable with so much change that is very drastic and always making employees feel uneasy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing so much.

Improvement is imminent

Sourcing Manager (Current Employee)
    Huntersville, NC

ProsI really love the laid back culture - being able to wear jeans to work everyday, and having (manager-approved) flexible work hours/work from home from time to time allows for great work life balance. Also, it is nice working for a company that has such strong and exciting brands that you see everyday while at the office, at home, out shopping, etc.

ConsChallenges with career development (no clear career pathing) and making sure that top talent is being rewarded and recognized for the work that they are putting in. Morale has been low for the past 2 years with lots of corporate restructuring, however we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and things seem to be getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people with their "boots on the ground" to hear their painpoints, concerns, etc. Consider a formal work from home policy to save on office and overhead costs and keep personnel happy. Trickle bonuses down to all people who are executing - not just managers and above, but consider the "workerbees" who are getting the job done every day as well

Flag Review
    Newell Rubbermaid Campus Recruiter responded to this review Jun 23, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we'll be sure that the right teams and leadership receives it. With mid-year reviews coming up, it's a great time to discuss your ... More

Strong company with strong brands.

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat brands with a strong strategic plan to grow. Worklife balance is acceptable and a lot of investment in Employee Resource Groups and innovation.

ConsHealth benefits are not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on employee development. And make sure to recognize and reward those who are going above and beyond.

Flag Review
    Thank you for your review! We value our employees feedback and will be sure to utilize it to continuously improve our culture and work environment.
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many opportunities for growth and gaining strong work experience.

Supply Chain (Current Employee)

ProsGrowth potential is strong. If you are in a department in one business, you can move businesses and gain more experience and stay under the Newell Rubbermaid umbrella. The company being global, you have the ability to gain domestic and international experience in your role, or with cross functional collaboration. There are really good people working here to do better things for the company and employees.

ConsThere is a lot of change and there has been since I started with Newell Rubbermaid. Changes with upper management, business layout, organizational structures. The change is good and bad, it is something everyone has had to work through. But the company is stronger because of the changes that are happening now.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the communication and the engagement of the employees. Employees want to feel they are adding value, at any level within the organization. The more Newell Rubbermaid helps with employee involvement and clear communication on the direction of the company the strong the company will be.

Flag Review
    Newell Rubbermaid Campus Recruiter responded to this review Jun 16, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review! The success and growth of our company wouldn't be possible without dedicated employees like you. Employee engagement is a top priority for our leaders and we look forward ... More

Yearly to Bi-Yearly changes take their toll.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPassionate organization (at one time) with extremely passionate and dedicated employees (at one time).

ConsFrequent management shifts at division as well as corporate level keep employees in a never ending circle of change for the sake of change. In 10 years there we had 3 different presidents 3 different boards 4 to 5 different group presidents and 5 different divisional presidents. Each one wanted to make their imprint on the organization and bring in "their" people. This rippled down through the entire organization. Non stop drive to make forecast numbers meant yearly to biyearly layoffs that came like the seasons of the year. Divisions moved in the blink of an eye because a new group President didn't want o move so he moved an entire division of 300 people to be near him. (Usually lost 90% of employees each time this happened so history and years of knowledge were thrown away without a thought.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe try a longer term plan of development that focuses on retaining industry talent instead of focusing on trying something new to see if it works better.

Flag Review
    Newell Rubbermaid Talent Brand Manager responded to this review Jul 1, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review! Change can be challenging on an organization, but we are excited about the positive results and momentum we've experienced since the Growth Game Plan was put into action ... More

Constantly "managing up" takes one's eye off doing meaningful work and making continuous improvements.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOK salary, product range to be proud of. Some company store benefits.

ConsLeadership with blinders on. Delivery of shareholder value is (of course) important, but so is employee well being. It's a disruptive and fragmented environment where much time is spent convincing leaders that you're doing good work ONLY so that THEY can convince THIER leaders of the same thing. Not an environment conducive to a results oriented mindset. Unless you don't mind working towards meaningless results.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that people matter. Listen to what they have to say. Be willing to expose your flaws to them and occasionally admit that you need to build trust in order to lead effectively.

Improvement is Imminent but...

Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsPolk has got this company headed in the right direction. His business strategy is VERY sound. And' he's building a performance culture. You'll be challenged to deliver, but when you deliver, generally you are rewarded. Yes we are allowed to wear jeans, but laid back is hardly how I would describe it. We have fun, but we work hard.

The other good thing about Newell right now is that because it went from kinda-cushy-it-doesn't-really-matter-if-you-deliver to we're-going-to-push-you-and-stretch-you-and-you-damn-well-better-deliver there is a fair degree of turnover. But turnover creates opportunity. And if you don't mind working hard, and you buy into the culture, this is a GREAT place to learn and advance your career.

ConsI'm going to give it to you straight. When I started working here in 2010, this was a GREAT company to work for...FROM AN EMPLOYEE PERSPECTIVE. Work life balance was best in class. Leadership cared about you. Pay was okay to average, but people were happy. We left on Fridays at 1 p.m. all the time. If I recall correctly 70+% of people would recommend it to a friend.

Today, it's still a good company to work for. However if you are looking for work life balance, I think you should look somewhere else. I've seen this company stripped down and reorganized. People work HARD. My teammates put in about 50-60 hours a week.

The pay is competitive, but not great. I believe the corporate directive is to align pay with the median salary range at similar companies. But hey, why not sign on for a four year hitch, learn what you can and then take you new skill set to greener pastures?

And for what it's worth that "Improvement is Imminent" post smacks of Recruiter-Posting-As-Employee...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, just watch those turnover metrics...

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Flag Review
    Thank you for your review and feedback! Our leadership and engagement teams are focused on building an "I want to work here" culture. We are listening to employees and welcome additional feedback ... More

very good company

Sourcing Manager (Former Employee)
    Winchester, VA

Prosgood beneft and balance of work and life

Conslow pay because of low margin on products

Flag Review
    Thank you for your review! We hope you'll keep Newell Rubbermaid in mind for future career opportunities.

Good people, poor opportunity.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Freeport, IL

ProsI enjoyed my coworkers and my work. I appreciated that my supervisors did not "breath down my neck."

ConsAt the location I was located the opportunities were limited, and it seemed as though promotions happened by drawing names out of a hat. There were also cases where individuals got promoted merely because employees' former supervisors gave false GOOD recommendations to get rid of the bad eggs from their department.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould promote people based on skills, education, experience, tenure, and contribution as opposed to some other reason.

Opportunities for the Motivated

(Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsYoung talented workforce that is relatively diverse. Recognizable brands and nice/newer work environments. Office location is central (Sandy Springs), so its convenient to most northern suburbs and midtown/downtown. Good opportunities for advancement in most departments if you are willing to work for it. The company is fully committed to its Growth Game Plan. If you are on board and make your aspirations known to management, opportunities for advancement won't be hard to find. Bonus structure is very competitive from Manager level on up.

ConsDevelopment for entry level employees is hit or miss, you need to really be proactive with your management in most cases to visibility to upcoming opportunities. Also, there have been significant resource reductions in recent years, so work/life balance can be a challenging given the pressure to perform with less in many departments. Company is really starting to focus on employee engagement with new Chief HR Officer. Hopefully things continue to move in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on cross functional projects. Management voices "One Company" strategy, but many departments still focus on self server objectives. Give high performing business functions more resources (head count) to avoid burning out performers. Create opportunities for low/mid level resources to advance.

Flag Review
    Newell Rubbermaid Campus Recruiter responded to this review Jun 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review and dedication to the company! We are very excited for our continued growth and employee engagement is a top priority for our leadership teams. We want your feedback! Feel ... More

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!

Newell Rubbermaid Videos

Newell Rubbermaid – Why Work for Us?

It's an incredibly exciting time at Newell Rubbermaid. Our future is bright and our potential is unlimited. We are at a defining moment in our history - one that we are confident will shape who we are and how our story… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newell Rubbermaid reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newell Rubbermaid CEO Michael B. Polk. All 273 reviews posted anonymously by Newell Rubbermaid employees.