Newell Rubbermaid

Newell Rubbermaid Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk

Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site(in 18 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll(in 18 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great(in 11 reviews)

About to take it to the next level....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIt is not possible to brag enough about Newell Rubbermaid's Global headquarters based in Atlanta, GA and the employees that define the company! The Executive Leadership has made some very tough decisions in the past that are focused on developing the company and taking our success to the next level. My first interaction with the organization came through their outstanding internal recruiting department and my experience has continued to be a challenging and rewarding one ever since.

ConsThe only con that comes to my mind is that compensation is not where it could be and the opportunity to develop our internal employees is not as great as other companies that I have worked for in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to develop your internal employees and give opportunity to expand their/our skill sets while also gaining exposure to other functions within the organization....if someone is willing to continue to grow their career internally the opportunity should be there and supported rather than challenged.

Jul 22, 2014

Thank you for your review! This is helpful feedback and we'll be sure to share with our leadership teams.

Great place to work!

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI have worked at Newell Rubbermaid for 9 years and I can not imagine working anywhere else. Newell is the perfect place for proactive, energized people who are willing to go above and beyond to get work done If you ask anyone, they will respond that their favorite thing about Newell is the PEOPLE. There is just something special about Newell Rubbermaid employees...their passion, willingness to help or get the job done, and most importantly their desire to make a difference for their peers and for our consumers.

The company and job experience is what you make of it at Newell. You truly get out whatever you put in...meaning this is a place where you need to approach someone if you are ready to move to the next level and are interested in pursuing training or approach someone if you want to learn about a more flexible work arrangement. When I have asked, the company and my managers have answered. This is not a company that gives you a mundane work experience so if you are looking for the everyday normal with no change and 100% consistency than this isn't the place for you. My experience has been a time of company growth and change at both the business structure level and at the leadership level. No matter what anyone says the decisions being made are the best decisions for the company's future. We are working towards becoming a best in class company in today's economy and to do that - change has to happen. Your work experience at Newell promises an innovative and creative work environment and one where your ideas can be heard. I highly recommend job prospects to look seriously at Newell as a place where they can begin and end their career.

ConsIf you are not interested in an environment that evolves during the execution of its Growth Game Plan strategy than this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build on some of the communication best practices that are happening across the company from skip level lunches to round tables to emails and video messages...make it consistent. Employees want to hear from you. Continue to try and be transparent no matter how tough the message. If I meet a leader, I am typically impressed with the Newell qualities that I see from the humility and passion for our people and brands. Speak up, get in front of employees and travel so that others can see those same qualities.

Jul 24, 2014

Thank you for your review! NWL is a great place to work and we are excited about our future! Great feedback to our leaders. We'll be sure to share.

Good place to work!

ProsVery lean, which is awesome for a young professional, because you get to work on a lot of cool projects that other large companies wouldn't let you touch at the entry-level. Also, great coworkers - I love the people I work with every day.

ConsBecause it's so lean, there is a LOT of work to do and you're expected to be scrappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it seems like leaders don't trust lower level people - the decisions are top heavy and we're expected to be worker bees instead of decision makers.

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for your review! It's always great to hear that employees are growing professionally as well as personally at NWL. We'll be sure to share your feedback with the engagement team.
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it here.

ProsPeople, degrees of freedom and the proximity to the Perimeter. This place is really a good place to work.

ConsUnstable with so much change that is very drastic and always making employees feel uneasy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing so much.

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoy working at NWL. We are excited about the focus on our people and how we'll shape our culture in the years to come!

Great place to work, but...

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLots of opportunity for gaining experience with multiple products

ConsThe structure is primarily 2 silos - development and delivery - and metrics sometimes are misaligned.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure metrics do not conflict at the top level.

Jul 22, 2014

Thank you for your review!

Yearly to Bi-Yearly changes take their toll.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPassionate organization (at one time) with extremely passionate and dedicated employees (at one time).

ConsFrequent management shifts at division as well as corporate level keep employees in a never ending circle of change for the sake of change. In 10 years there we had 3 different presidents 3 different boards 4 to 5 different group presidents and 5 different divisional presidents. Each one wanted to make their imprint on the organization and bring in "their" people. This rippled down through the entire organization. Non stop drive to make forecast numbers meant yearly to biyearly layoffs that came like the seasons of the year. Divisions moved in the blink of an eye because a new group President didn't want o move so he moved an entire division of 300 people to be near him. (Usually lost 90% of employees each time this happened so history and years of knowledge were thrown away without a thought.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe try a longer term plan of development that focuses on retaining industry talent instead of focusing on trying something new to see if it works better.

Jul 1, 2014

Thank you for your review! Change can be challenging on an organization, but we are excited about the positive results and momentum we've experienced since the Growth Game Plan was put into action ... More

Improvement is Imminent but...

Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPolk has got this company headed in the right direction. His business strategy is VERY sound. And' he's building a performance culture. You'll be challenged to deliver, but when you deliver, generally you are rewarded. Yes we are allowed to wear jeans, but laid back is hardly how I would describe it. We have fun, but we work hard.

The other good thing about Newell right now is that because it went from kinda-cushy-it-doesn't-really-matter-if-you-deliver to we're-going-to-push-you-and-stretch-you-and-you-damn-well-better-deliver there is a fair degree of turnover. But turnover creates opportunity. And if you don't mind working hard, and you buy into the culture, this is a GREAT place to learn and advance your career.

ConsI'm going to give it to you straight. When I started working here in 2010, this was a GREAT company to work for...FROM AN EMPLOYEE PERSPECTIVE. Work life balance was best in class. Leadership cared about you. Pay was okay to average, but people were happy. We left on Fridays at 1 p.m. all the time. If I recall correctly 70+% of people would recommend it to a friend.

Today, it's still a good company to work for. However if you are looking for work life balance, I think you should look somewhere else. I've seen this company stripped down and reorganized. People work HARD. My teammates put in about 50-60 hours a week.

The pay is competitive, but not great. I believe the corporate directive is to align pay with the median salary range at similar companies. But hey, why not sign on for a four year hitch, learn what you can and then take you new skill set to greener pastures?

And for what it's worth that "Improvement is Imminent" post smacks of Recruiter-Posting-As-Employee...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, just watch those turnover metrics...

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Jul 1, 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback! Our leadership and engagement teams are focused on building an "I want to work here" culture. We are listening to employees and welcome additional feedback ... More

Many opportunities for growth and gaining strong work experience.

Supply Chain (Current Employee)

ProsGrowth potential is strong. If you are in a department in one business, you can move businesses and gain more experience and stay under the Newell Rubbermaid umbrella. The company being global, you have the ability to gain domestic and international experience in your role, or with cross functional collaboration. There are really good people working here to do better things for the company and employees.

ConsThere is a lot of change and there has been since I started with Newell Rubbermaid. Changes with upper management, business layout, organizational structures. The change is good and bad, it is something everyone has had to work through. But the company is stronger because of the changes that are happening now.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the communication and the engagement of the employees. Employees want to feel they are adding value, at any level within the organization. The more Newell Rubbermaid helps with employee involvement and clear communication on the direction of the company the strong the company will be.

Jun 16, 2014

Thank you for your review! The success and growth of our company wouldn't be possible without dedicated employees like you. Employee engagement is a top priority for our leaders and we look forward ... More

Strong company with strong brands.

Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat brands with a strong strategic plan to grow. Worklife balance is acceptable and a lot of investment in Employee Resource Groups and innovation.

ConsHealth benefits are not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on employee development. And make sure to recognize and reward those who are going above and beyond.

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for your review! We value our employees feedback and will be sure to utilize it to continuously improve our culture and work environment.

Improvement is imminent

Sourcing Manager (Current Employee) Huntersville, NC

ProsI really love the laid back culture - being able to wear jeans to work everyday, and having (manager-approved) flexible work hours/work from home from time to time allows for great work life balance. Also, it is nice working for a company that has such strong and exciting brands that you see everyday while at the office, at home, out shopping, etc.

ConsChallenges with career development (no clear career pathing) and making sure that top talent is being rewarded and recognized for the work that they are putting in. Morale has been low for the past 2 years with lots of corporate restructuring, however we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and things seem to be getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people with their "boots on the ground" to hear their painpoints, concerns, etc. Consider a formal work from home policy to save on office and overhead costs and keep personnel happy. Trickle bonuses down to all people who are executing - not just managers and above, but consider the "workerbees" who are getting the job done every day as well

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for your review! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we'll be sure that the right teams and leadership receives it. With mid-year reviews coming up, it's a great time to discuss your ... More

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!