Newell Rubbermaid

Updated August 18, 2014

3.3

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site (in 18 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 19 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Love it here.

Pros

People, degrees of freedom and the proximity to the Perimeter. This place is really a good place to work.

Cons

Unstable with so much change that is very drastic and always making employees feel uneasy.

Stop changing so much.

Jul 14, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoy working at NWL. We are excited about the focus on our people and how we'll shape our culture in the years to come!

the newell rubbermaid experience

Pros

there are none for this company

Cons

extreme heat lots of drama and little pay

Looks Good From Outside- But Watch Your Back

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Offices in my location were semi-clean for a factor production facility

Cons

Very manipulative and contrived work environment and fake people in Admin/Finance/Reporting who stab each other in the back every chance they get. After 3 weeks there I asked my manager what the pay was for my position after my 90 day period was up (so I could begin planning on a move to that area). She got so irrate about it she went to HR. I got pulled into HR the next day and was told "its none of your business what the actual payrate for the position is unless and well after 90 days we decided to actually hire you on. Until then, don't worry about it."

This 90 day period was in the Accounting department with no benefits and making 10.00 an hour.

That was what Rubbermaid was good at doing, hiring temps for 90 day periods and burning through them because they were too cheap, pathetic and stupid to do anything else.

Stop being fake, manipulative and deceitful with employees, seniors, managers and yourselves. Your not better than everyone else and everyone has known this for a long time.

Jul 28, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'll be sure to share this feedback with our engagement team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, but...

Current Employee - Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Lots of opportunity for gaining experience with multiple products

Cons

The structure is primarily 2 silos - development and delivery - and metrics sometimes are misaligned.

Ensure metrics do not conflict at the top level.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

Yearly to Bi-Yearly changes take their toll.

Pros

Passionate organization (at one time) with extremely passionate and dedicated employees (at one time).

Cons

Frequent management shifts at division as well as corporate level keep employees in a never ending circle of change for the sake of change. In 10 years there we had 3 different presidents 3 different boards 4 to 5 different group presidents and 5 different divisional presidents. Each one wanted to make their imprint on the organization and bring in "their" people. This rippled down through the entire organization. Non stop drive to make forecast numbers meant yearly to biyearly layoffs that came like the seasons of the year. Divisions moved in the blink of an eye because a new group President didn't want o move so he moved an entire division of 300 people to be near him. (Usually lost 90% of employees each time this happened so history and years of knowledge were thrown away without a thought.

Maybe try a longer term plan of development that focuses on retaining industry talent instead of focusing on trying something new to see if it works better.

Jul 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! Change can be challenging on an organization, but we are excited about the positive results and momentum we've experienced since the Growth Game Plan was put into action ... More

Improvement is Imminent but...

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Polk has got this company headed in the right direction. His business strategy is VERY sound. And' he's building a performance culture. You'll be challenged to deliver, but when you deliver, generally you are rewarded. Yes we are allowed to wear jeans, but laid back is hardly how I would describe it. We have fun, but we work hard.

The other good thing about Newell right now is that because it went from kinda-cushy-it-doesn't-really-matter-if-you-deliver to we're-going-to-push-you-and-stretch-you-and-you-damn-well-better-deliver there is a fair degree of turnover. But turnover creates opportunity. And if you don't mind working hard, and you buy into the culture, this is a GREAT place to learn and advance your career.

Cons

I'm going to give it to you straight. When I started working here in 2010, this was a GREAT company to work for...FROM AN EMPLOYEE PERSPECTIVE. Work life balance was best in class. Leadership cared about you. Pay was okay to average, but people were happy. We left on Fridays at 1 p.m. all the time. If I recall correctly 70+% of people would recommend it to a friend.

Today, it's still a good company to work for. However if you are looking for work life balance, I think you should look somewhere else. I've seen this company stripped down and reorganized. People work HARD. My teammates put in about 50-60 hours a week.

The pay is competitive, but not great. I believe the corporate directive is to align pay with the median salary range at similar companies. But hey, why not sign on for a four year hitch, learn what you can and then take you new skill set to greener pastures?

And for what it's worth that "Improvement is Imminent" post smacks of Recruiter-Posting-As-Employee...

Keep doing what you are doing, just watch those turnover metrics...

Jul 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review and feedback! Our leadership and engagement teams are focused on building an "I want to work here" culture. We are listening to employees and welcome additional feedback ... More

very good company

Former Employee - Sourcing Manager  in  Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Winchester, VA

Pros

good beneft and balance of work and life

Cons

low pay because of low margin on products

Jul 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We hope you'll keep Newell Rubbermaid in mind for future career opportunities.

Improvement is imminent

Current Employee - Sourcing Manager  in  Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Huntersville, NC

Pros

I really love the laid back culture - being able to wear jeans to work everyday, and having (manager-approved) flexible work hours/work from home from time to time allows for great work life balance. Also, it is nice working for a company that has such strong and exciting brands that you see everyday while at the office, at home, out shopping, etc.

Cons

Challenges with career development (no clear career pathing) and making sure that top talent is being rewarded and recognized for the work that they are putting in. Morale has been low for the past 2 years with lots of corporate restructuring, however we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and things seem to be getting better.

Talk to the people with their "boots on the ground" to hear their painpoints, concerns, etc. Consider a formal work from home policy to save on office and overhead costs and keep personnel happy. Trickle bonuses down to all people who are executing - not just managers and above, but consider the "workerbees" who are getting the job done every day as well

Jun 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we'll be sure that the right teams and leadership receives it. With mid-year reviews coming up, it's a great time to discuss your ... More

Many opportunities for growth and gaining strong work experience.

Current Employee - Supply Chain
    Current Employee - Supply Chain

Pros

Growth potential is strong. If you are in a department in one business, you can move businesses and gain more experience and stay under the Newell Rubbermaid umbrella. The company being global, you have the ability to gain domestic and international experience in your role, or with cross functional collaboration. There are really good people working here to do better things for the company and employees.

Cons

There is a lot of change and there has been since I started with Newell Rubbermaid. Changes with upper management, business layout, organizational structures. The change is good and bad, it is something everyone has had to work through. But the company is stronger because of the changes that are happening now.

Continue the communication and the engagement of the employees. Employees want to feel they are adding value, at any level within the organization. The more Newell Rubbermaid helps with employee involvement and clear communication on the direction of the company the strong the company will be.

Jun 16, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! The success and growth of our company wouldn't be possible without dedicated employees like you. Employee engagement is a top priority for our leaders and we look forward ... More

Strong company with strong brands.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great brands with a strong strategic plan to grow. Worklife balance is acceptable and a lot of investment in Employee Resource Groups and innovation.

Cons

Health benefits are not great.

Continue the focus on employee development. And make sure to recognize and reward those who are going above and beyond.

Jun 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We value our employees feedback and will be sure to utilize it to continuously improve our culture and work environment.

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!