Newell Rubbermaid

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Company believes in work-life balance and the people there are great to work with (in 25 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 21 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the Best

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Organized, smartly managed, good salary, great benefits, good company

Cons

Favoritism with advancement opportunities where I was.

Sep 2, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We wish you the best of luck with your current endeavors and hope you'll keep Newell Rubbermaid in mind for future opportunities.

Great stepping stone

Former Employee - ReField Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - ReField Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a field rep can be a bit of a struggle since you are constantly working alone but, my manager was very involved and called me once a week to catch up, offer guidance and let me know how I was doing. About once every other month another rep would come and work with me for almost a week, which was always fun! They also had an annual sales meeting in Vegas when I worked there!

Cons

There were a lot of other reps who were very fake and tried to suck up to managers. I made sure to be professional .and watch what I said so none of the two-faced employees would talk behind my back.

Get a better understanding of your employees and find out which ones are actually working really hard and making a difference verse the ones who are just sitting at home and pretending to work!

Oct 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you the best of luck and hope you'll consider us for future career opportunities.

Good goes bad

Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good working environment; Perks, onsite cafe and gym; flexible hours, friendly coworkers.

Cons

Too much changes in the last couple of years and still changing, benefits/pays are good for senior leaders but not so good in general. Relationship is way better than performance.

Take care of your good employees.

Oct 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We wish you the best of luck and hope you'll keep us in mind for future career opportunities.

Supply Chain Management Development Program

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

The rotational program is awesome. You get 4 different positions in 2 different locations. Company believes in work-life balance and the people there are great to work with.

Cons

It was challenging working here through the restructuring period. Many people were shuffling within the company, and to areas outside the company.

Oct 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We are very proud of the Supply Chain Management Development Program and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience.We wish you all the best and hope you'll keep us ... More

Overall work experience and chances for moving up in the company

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Union City, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Union City, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you have the right supervisor or lead you may have a better chance of moving up in the company.

Cons

Salaries are not competative with similar jobs with other companies.

Nov 18, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

Given plenty of opportunities to grow in my first 10 years but consultants are taking those opportunities now

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Had 7 roles of increasing responsibility with 10 - 15 years. Lot of good people to work with in supply chain and operations. Pay was good even though they did reduce bonuses for my level by 25%.

Cons

Very unstable as you never know when the next change to affect you will come. Engagement is low but with constant layoffs over last few years and the company's desire to reduce bonuses and benefits to be in the 50th percentile its to be expected. Despite my years of service and leaving in good standing my exit interview was blown off. There's so much focus on driving the stock price up that folks don't have time to do the little things to make the business better. Its all about the short term.
    Not bitter at all but there are rumors of some unethical but not illegal activity going on with the execs. For the internal employees its hard to bear about as integrity is supposed to be one of our key values

Don't forget the long term effects on the company. There are a good number of employees that have and will be around for the long haul so take care of them. Respect your supply chain and operation employees and stop relying on consultants.

Jul 31, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear about your exit interview experience and will be sure to share the feedback with our HR teams for the future. We appreciate your hard work and tenure ... More

Great culture and work environment. On the upswing.

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

The culture, work environment and flexibility are the companies greatest strengths. The company is becoming more design centric which is very encouraging for the technical disciplines.

Cons

The leadership feels removed and disconnected from the average worker and therefore makes decisions that are not always well thought through.

Jul 31, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We are focused on building an "I want to work here" culture and will be sure to share your feedback to the leadership team.

Great employer

Former Employee - PMO
    Former Employee - PMO

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good mentors, lots of learning opportunities if your motivated.

Cons

Takes time to get the ball rolling from head office in USA

Can always improve on providing strategic communication.

Jul 28, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We hope that you'll keep Newell Rubbermaid in mind for future career opportunities.

Diversity and Management Leadership Questionable

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Employee Discounts on Products
    -New and Innovative products being developed continuously
    -Average Compensation Packages

Cons

-Questionable leadership - who too often focused on the wrong things (i.e. office gossip, trying to appease all parties)
    -Benefits left quite a bit to be desired
    -Relationships took priority of 75% of decisions that were made
    -There was no diversity representation in leadership roles at my location. No Asian/Hispanic/African-American representation, which ultimately put pressure on me as a minority in a visible position. Quite often I was singled-out due to not being able to "assimilate" or just being different.

-Send people to cultural diversity/sensitivity training
    -While relationships are very important in corporations, metrics should still be a priority as well.

Aug 18, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate learning more about your experience and will be sure to share this feedback with our leadership teams.

I worked as a temp for a long time and watched other temps get hired and I was let go.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freeport, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freeport, IL

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly Coworkers, great employee perks.

Cons

Very "clicky", unprofessional supervisors who choose department "pets"

act like managers, and judge your employees on performance and knowledge, not your personal feelings towards them.

Aug 18, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.