Newell Rubbermaid

Updated October 21, 2014
3.3

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Company believes in work-life balance and the people there are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 19 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great products, great people, volatile environment.

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

Relatively flat organizations within the Newell Rubbermaid family of products resulting in easy access to executives. The company's Growth Game Plan is billed as a long-term plan for sustained growth and investment in the company's vast array of brands. Managers and above are granted a lot of autonomy and are expected to know their business and defend their business decisions.

Cons

Employee engagement is at an all time low. NR is an organization in perpetual transition - a serial restructurer. The execution of the Growth Game Plan has resulted in a continuing series of company layoffs, sometimes referred to as "renewals" The constant threat of executives deciding to layoff associates has led to a steady flow of associates deciding to leave on their own (self-renewal). There is rarely a going away party for departing associates anymore because there are just too many people leaving.

Expend more resources supporting & developing employees' abilities to run the businesses and consistently reward their loyalty. When all the people that do all the work are gone; there will be no more work that gets done.

Jul 28, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We are focusing on building an "I want to work here" culture and our leadership team is listening to the voice of our employees. We wish you the best of luck and hope ... More

Great place to work, but...

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for gaining experience with multiple products

Cons

The structure is primarily 2 silos - development and delivery - and metrics sometimes are misaligned.

Ensure metrics do not conflict at the top level.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

Yearly to Bi-Yearly changes take their toll.

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid (more than 10 years)

Pros

Passionate organization (at one time) with extremely passionate and dedicated employees (at one time).

Cons

Frequent management shifts at division as well as corporate level keep employees in a never ending circle of change for the sake of change. In 10 years there we had 3 different presidents 3 different boards 4 to 5 different group presidents and 5 different divisional presidents. Each one wanted to make their imprint on the organization and bring in "their" people. This rippled down through the entire organization. Non stop drive to make forecast numbers meant yearly to biyearly layoffs that came like the seasons of the year. Divisions moved in the blink of an eye because a new group President didn't want o move so he moved an entire division of 300 people to be near him. (Usually lost 90% of employees each time this happened so history and years of knowledge were thrown away without a thought.

Maybe try a longer term plan of development that focuses on retaining industry talent instead of focusing on trying something new to see if it works better.

Jul 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! Change can be challenging on an organization, but we are excited about the positive results and momentum we've experienced since the Growth Game Plan was put into action ... More

Improvement is Imminent but...

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Polk has got this company headed in the right direction. His business strategy is VERY sound. And' he's building a performance culture. You'll be challenged to deliver, but when you deliver, generally you are rewarded. Yes we are allowed to wear jeans, but laid back is hardly how I would describe it. We have fun, but we work hard.

The other good thing about Newell right now is that because it went from kinda-cushy-it-doesn't-really-matter-if-you-deliver to we're-going-to-push-you-and-stretch-you-and-you-damn-well-better-deliver there is a fair degree of turnover. But turnover creates opportunity. And if you don't mind working hard, and you buy into the culture, this is a GREAT place to learn and advance your career.

Cons

I'm going to give it to you straight. When I started working here in 2010, this was a GREAT company to work for...FROM AN EMPLOYEE PERSPECTIVE. Work life balance was best in class. Leadership cared about you. Pay was okay to average, but people were happy. We left on Fridays at 1 p.m. all the time. If I recall correctly 70+% of people would recommend it to a friend.

Today, it's still a good company to work for. However if you are looking for work life balance, I think you should look somewhere else. I've seen this company stripped down and reorganized. People work HARD. My teammates put in about 50-60 hours a week.

The pay is competitive, but not great. I believe the corporate directive is to align pay with the median salary range at similar companies. But hey, why not sign on for a four year hitch, learn what you can and then take you new skill set to greener pastures?

And for what it's worth that "Improvement is Imminent" post smacks of Recruiter-Posting-As-Employee...

Keep doing what you are doing, just watch those turnover metrics...

Jul 1, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review and feedback! Our leadership and engagement teams are focused on building an "I want to work here" culture. We are listening to employees and welcome additional feedback ... More

Improvement is imminent

Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really love the laid back culture - being able to wear jeans to work everyday, and having (manager-approved) flexible work hours/work from home from time to time allows for great work life balance. Also, it is nice working for a company that has such strong and exciting brands that you see everyday while at the office, at home, out shopping, etc.

Cons

Challenges with career development (no clear career pathing) and making sure that top talent is being rewarded and recognized for the work that they are putting in. Morale has been low for the past 2 years with lots of corporate restructuring, however we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and things seem to be getting better.

Talk to the people with their "boots on the ground" to hear their painpoints, concerns, etc. Consider a formal work from home policy to save on office and overhead costs and keep personnel happy. Trickle bonuses down to all people who are executing - not just managers and above, but consider the "workerbees" who are getting the job done every day as well

Jun 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we'll be sure that the right teams and leadership receives it. With mid-year reviews coming up, it's a great time to discuss your ... More

Many opportunities for growth and gaining strong work experience.

Current Employee - Supply Chain
    Current Employee - Supply Chain

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Growth potential is strong. If you are in a department in one business, you can move businesses and gain more experience and stay under the Newell Rubbermaid umbrella. The company being global, you have the ability to gain domestic and international experience in your role, or with cross functional collaboration. There are really good people working here to do better things for the company and employees.

Cons

There is a lot of change and there has been since I started with Newell Rubbermaid. Changes with upper management, business layout, organizational structures. The change is good and bad, it is something everyone has had to work through. But the company is stronger because of the changes that are happening now.

Continue the communication and the engagement of the employees. Employees want to feel they are adding value, at any level within the organization. The more Newell Rubbermaid helps with employee involvement and clear communication on the direction of the company the strong the company will be.

Jun 16, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! The success and growth of our company wouldn't be possible without dedicated employees like you. Employee engagement is a top priority for our leaders and we look forward ... More

Strong company with strong brands.

Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brands with a strong strategic plan to grow. Worklife balance is acceptable and a lot of investment in Employee Resource Groups and innovation.

Cons

Health benefits are not great.

Continue the focus on employee development. And make sure to recognize and reward those who are going above and beyond.

Jun 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We value our employees feedback and will be sure to utilize it to continuously improve our culture and work environment.

Looks Good From Outside- But Watch Your Back

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Offices in my location were semi-clean for a factor production facility

Cons

Very manipulative and contrived work environment and fake people in Admin/Finance/Reporting who stab each other in the back every chance they get. After 3 weeks there I asked my manager what the pay was for my position after my 90 day period was up (so I could begin planning on a move to that area). She got so irrate about it she went to HR. I got pulled into HR the next day and was told "its none of your business what the actual payrate for the position is unless and well after 90 days we decided to actually hire you on. Until then, don't worry about it."

This 90 day period was in the Accounting department with no benefits and making 10.00 an hour.

That was what Rubbermaid was good at doing, hiring temps for 90 day periods and burning through them because they were too cheap, pathetic and stupid to do anything else.

Stop being fake, manipulative and deceitful with employees, seniors, managers and yourselves. Your not better than everyone else and everyone has known this for a long time.

Jul 28, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'll be sure to share this feedback with our engagement team.

Went from good to bad.

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once in a while, employees will receive free products. Some team building and social opportunities. Decent pay. Casual dress to work.

Cons

This company is more concerned with politics and favoritism than they are in establishing and maintaining good consumer relationships. They rarely reward people for their efforts, and when rewards are doled out, it's usually a popularity contest. Many times a mutual admiration society. Work-life balance is not good. The departments are crawling with manipulative people who will sell you down the river. They are constantly throwing away talent under the auspices of "not a culture fit"and could care less about employee development. Often, the better employees find themselves buried under work, while the more political workers have less to do and are more appreciated. Many people are there for a paycheck and nothing more. HR is often not helpful and does not seem to take concerns very seriously.

Get over yourselves. Many of you aren't qualified to lead people. Work in places where you can be top contributors, instead of mishandling people and talent. Many of you do not care about solid leadership, and rarely is it "lead by example."

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

We are constantly striving to make NWL a great place to work and appreciate your feedback. Best of luck with your future endeavors!

Opportunities for the Motivated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Young talented workforce that is relatively diverse. Recognizable brands and nice/newer work environments. Office location is central (Sandy Springs), so its convenient to most northern suburbs and midtown/downtown. Good opportunities for advancement in most departments if you are willing to work for it. The company is fully committed to its Growth Game Plan. If you are on board and make your aspirations known to management, opportunities for advancement won't be hard to find. Bonus structure is very competitive from Manager level on up.

Cons

Development for entry level employees is hit or miss, you need to really be proactive with your management in most cases to visibility to upcoming opportunities. Also, there have been significant resource reductions in recent years, so work/life balance can be a challenging given the pressure to perform with less in many departments. Company is really starting to focus on employee engagement with new Chief HR Officer. Hopefully things continue to move in the right direction.

More focus on cross functional projects. Management voices "One Company" strategy, but many departments still focus on self server objectives. Give high performing business functions more resources (head count) to avoid burning out performers. Create opportunities for low/mid level resources to advance.

Jun 9, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review and dedication to the company! We are very excited for our continued growth and employee engagement is a top priority for our leadership teams. We want your feedback! Feel ... More