Newell Rubbermaid

Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

Newell Rubbermaid President and Chief Executive Officer Michael B. Polk
Michael B. Polk

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and perks like Employee Store & gym on site (in 18 reviews)

• Great people to work with, good products with strong brand names (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll (in 19 reviews)

• There's a pretty decent changeover rate in upper management - some are great, some not so great (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Constantly "managing up" takes one's eye off doing meaningful work and making continuous improvements.

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

OK salary, product range to be proud of. Some company store benefits.

Cons

Leadership with blinders on. Delivery of shareholder value is (of course) important, but so is employee well being. It's a disruptive and fragmented environment where much time is spent convincing leaders that you're doing good work ONLY so that THEY can convince THIER leaders of the same thing. Not an environment conducive to a results oriented mindset. Unless you don't mind working towards meaningless results.

Remember that people matter. Listen to what they have to say. Be willing to expose your flaws to them and occasionally admit that you need to build trust in order to lead effectively.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will share with our leadership teams. Best of luck with your future endeavors!

too many changes

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

many different businesses, well known brands, career opportunities in different functions. the different company units seem to have strong subcultures, and there is strong departmental identity. Company is attempting to move towards a more global approach and CPG culture vs. sales oriented company. Company has a great company store and good perks for employees. People seem really nice and fun to work with.

Cons

too many changes with attempt to centralize businesses, salary is not competitive compared to other CPGs. too much work for few people, resulting in low morale. no good training principles and processes vs.. traditional CPGs. Aiming to become a traditional CPG too fast without creating a culture that is UNIQUE to Newell Rubbermaid. You cannot be Kraft and/or now even become a MINI-Unilever. It is essential to know where you came from and establish your future based on the learnings of the past and the present instead of adopting foreign processes that many not work with the peculiarities of Newell Rubbermaid.

find your core purpose and build your growth plan based on that unique purpose vs. trying to impose processes and principles from other CPGs. you don't want to have a whole new senior management in a few years trying to recreate the wheel.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We will share with our leadership teams and wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

Good people, poor opportunity.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Freeport, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Freeport, IL

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers and my work. I appreciated that my supervisors did not "breath down my neck."

Cons

At the location I was located the opportunities were limited, and it seemed as though promotions happened by drawing names out of a hat. There were also cases where individuals got promoted merely because employees' former supervisors gave false GOOD recommendations to get rid of the bad eggs from their department.

Should promote people based on skills, education, experience, tenure, and contribution as opposed to some other reason.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We will share your feedback with our leadership teams and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great workplace with not so great leadership

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

nice headquarters building, good environment with their own Starbucks, traffic is ok

Cons

leaders always change their minds but it depends on who you are working with

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

Politics are more important than solving the problem

Former Employee - Middle Manager
    Former Employee - Middle Manager

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of things to work on to improve. Many of their core products are household names like Sharpie markers and Rubbermaid containers so brand recognition is strong.

Cons

Leadership is often a revolving door of politicians that are in it to make a splash in the short term and then exit before their impact of their poor decisions can fully develop. It is a highly matrixed organization that makes it easy for people to "hide". Real accountability is something that is hard to pin on upper managers. Responsibility is often assigned without the required authority to actually make the required changes to fix things. Finance/Accounting types have the most authority, even when they don't understand the business they are trying to control. Marketing/Sales teams are very green and act more like sorority/frat members than marketing/sales professionals.

Company values need to be more than a plaque hanging on a wall in the Atlanta HQ palace. They have to be lived by senior leaders who walk-the-talk and hold everyone accountable from the top down. Having some integrity, humility and demonstrated servant leadership would go a long way here. Having a Vision that can survive beyond the next quarterly stock report would also help provide stability and create a platform for true progress and continuous improvement. Of course that takes some dedication, courage and selflessness which was problematic when I worked there.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review.

Great company to work for - Marketing and Brand driven

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Team oriented, focused on delivery and growth - Amazing brands to work on. The company has went through a lot of changes, though is in a better position now, and has a great outlook for the future. Very product and brand focused.

Cons

Company has went through significant change over the last 2-3 years, can be unsettling seeing co-workers leave

Opportunities for those with initiative

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Newell Rubbermaid has some great products and finally investing in advertising to continue to build our brands. The company has a great growth plan which allows for many opportunities for people with talent, experience and initiative. We have wonderful training opportunities, great cafeteria, free sodas, gym, starbucks, marta line and company store.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the recent years. The company is flexible but with fewer people doing more the work life balance has taken its toll.

The transformation projects have allowed us to invest in the right places. We need to focus on employee engagement and work on what drives the team to continue to deliver. We are moving from good to great and driving to exceptional.

May 27, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It is a very exciting time to be a part of our company. Employee engagement is a big initiative for our leaders and we look forward to seeing how future initiatives ... More

Best company I have ever worked for.

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

Coworkers are fun and professional - no gossip or drama.
    Lots of perks.
    Flexible and friendly managers.
    Sufficient training is provided.

Cons

Constant change - which I love, but others don't.
    Working with other departments can be tricky. Things get lost in translation or misunderstood, but that can be with any large company.

Positive reinforcement is awesome.

May 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We are very glad to hear about your experience and are excited about the future of our company.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - potential operations manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - potential operations manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Continuously improving to better the organization and huge on safety. Great screening process for new employees and managers.

Cons

Not many to report other then upper management listen to employees ideas a little more. All ideas are good just need to decipher what to use and what not to use.

Keep up the great work on how the company has grown. I love the seal program and how the company relies on the team members for there success.

May 23, 2014Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It's definitely an exciting time to be a part of our company. We'd love to hear your ideas and encourage you to reach out to a member of the Employee Insights Team in ... More

Engineering Manager

Former Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Iconic brands. I got to work with some fabulous people, most of which were laid off.

Cons

No stability, short sights plans except to make each quarter for the street and pay huge bonuses to leadership. I worked here 7 years and saw 5 ground up reorganizations. Staff turns were likely in excess of 50% per annum. People with more than 19 years tenure were routinely laid off. Nothing you could do made you safe from the perpetual re-org axe. I wasted my time and talents here.

What you do for the company is not worth the bonus you pay yourselves. The short term thinking will eventually leave you with nothing.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors!

Worked for Newell Rubbermaid? Contribute to the Community!