Newell Rubbermaid

www.newellrubbermaid.com

Overall work experience and chances for moving up in the company

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Union City, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Union City, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you have the right supervisor or lead you may have a better chance of moving up in the company.

Cons

Salaries are not competative with similar jobs with other companies.

Nov 18, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review!

One of the Best

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Organized, smartly managed, good salary, great benefits, good company

Cons

Favoritism with advancement opportunities where I was.

Sep 2, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We wish you the best of luck with your current endeavors and hope you'll keep Newell Rubbermaid in mind for future opportunities.

Diversity and Management Leadership Questionable

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Employee Discounts on Products
    -New and Innovative products being developed continuously
    -Average Compensation Packages

Cons

-Questionable leadership - who too often focused on the wrong things (i.e. office gossip, trying to appease all parties)
    -Benefits left quite a bit to be desired
    -Relationships took priority of 75% of decisions that were made
    -There was no diversity representation in leadership roles at my location. No Asian/Hispanic/African-American representation, which ultimately put pressure on me as a minority in a visible position. Quite often I was singled-out due to not being able to "assimilate" or just being different.

-Send people to cultural diversity/sensitivity training
    -While relationships are very important in corporations, metrics should still be a priority as well.

Aug 18, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate learning more about your experience and will be sure to share this feedback with our leadership teams.

Given plenty of opportunities to grow in my first 10 years but consultants are taking those opportunities now

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Had 7 roles of increasing responsibility with 10 - 15 years. Lot of good people to work with in supply chain and operations. Pay was good even though they did reduce bonuses for my level by 25%.

Cons

Very unstable as you never know when the next change to affect you will come. Engagement is low but with constant layoffs over last few years and the company's desire to reduce bonuses and benefits to be in the 50th percentile its to be expected. Despite my years of service and leaving in good standing my exit interview was blown off. There's so much focus on driving the stock price up that folks don't have time to do the little things to make the business better. Its all about the short term.
    Not bitter at all but there are rumors of some unethical but not illegal activity going on with the execs. For the internal employees its hard to bear about as integrity is supposed to be one of our key values

Don't forget the long term effects on the company. There are a good number of employees that have and will be around for the long haul so take care of them. Respect your supply chain and operation employees and stop relying on consultants.

Jul 31, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear about your exit interview experience and will be sure to share the feedback with our HR teams for the future. We appreciate your hard work and tenure ... More

Okay company to work for but not a lot of opportunity to advance.

Current Employee - FSCM Research Specialist in Freeport, IL
    Current Employee - FSCM Research Specialist in Freeport, IL

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are competitive. The hours are good for work / life balance. The brands are good and are growing.

Cons

There are no advancement opportunities even though they say there are. Management do not back their people nor do they seem to actually know the job of who is working for them. When a big change hits they don't seem to train the people entering the role or have the right people in place before launching the change.

Focus more on the process of how things are being done rather than the outcome. Know the job your people are doing in order to supervise or manage them properly. Back your people and allow for advancement or role changes so they can have the Personal growth that you say is so important.

Aug 18, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your hard work and will be sure to share this feedback with the leadership team in our Freeport location.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Newell Rubbermaid for 9 years and I can not imagine working anywhere else. Newell is the perfect place for proactive, energized people who are willing to go above and beyond to get work done If you ask anyone, they will respond that their favorite thing about Newell is the PEOPLE. There is just something special about Newell Rubbermaid employees...their passion, willingness to help or get the job done, and most importantly their desire to make a difference for their peers and for our consumers.

The company and job experience is what you make of it at Newell. You truly get out whatever you put in...meaning this is a place where you need to approach someone if you are ready to move to the next level and are interested in pursuing training or approach someone if you want to learn about a more flexible work arrangement. When I have asked, the company and my managers have answered. This is not a company that gives you a mundane work experience so if you are looking for the everyday normal with no change and 100% consistency than this isn't the place for you. My experience has been a time of company growth and change at both the business structure level and at the leadership level. No matter what anyone says the decisions being made are the best decisions for the company's future. We are working towards becoming a best in class company in today's economy and to do that - change has to happen. Your work experience at Newell promises an innovative and creative work environment and one where your ideas can be heard. I highly recommend job prospects to look seriously at Newell as a place where they can begin and end their career.

Cons

If you are not interested in an environment that evolves during the execution of its Growth Game Plan strategy than this is not the place for you.

Continue to build on some of the communication best practices that are happening across the company from skip level lunches to round tables to emails and video messages...make it consistent. Employees want to hear from you. Continue to try and be transparent no matter how tough the message. If I meet a leader, I am typically impressed with the Newell qualities that I see from the humility and passion for our people and brands. Speak up, get in front of employees and travel so that others can see those same qualities.

Jul 24, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! NWL is a great place to work and we are excited about our future! Great feedback to our leaders. We'll be sure to share.

Great culture and work environment. On the upswing.

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid

Pros

The culture, work environment and flexibility are the companies greatest strengths. The company is becoming more design centric which is very encouraging for the technical disciplines.

Cons

The leadership feels removed and disconnected from the average worker and therefore makes decisions that are not always well thought through.

Jul 31, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We are focused on building an "I want to work here" culture and will be sure to share your feedback to the leadership team.

About to take it to the next level....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

It is not possible to brag enough about Newell Rubbermaid's Global headquarters based in Atlanta, GA and the employees that define the company! The Executive Leadership has made some very tough decisions in the past that are focused on developing the company and taking our success to the next level. My first interaction with the organization came through their outstanding internal recruiting department and my experience has continued to be a challenging and rewarding one ever since.

Cons

The only con that comes to my mind is that compensation is not where it could be and the opportunity to develop our internal employees is not as great as other companies that I have worked for in the past.

Please continue to develop your internal employees and give opportunity to expand their/our skill sets while also gaining exposure to other functions within the organization....if someone is willing to continue to grow their career internally the opportunity should be there and supported rather than challenged.

Jul 22, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! This is helpful feedback and we'll be sure to share with our leadership teams.

Great employer

Former Employee - PMO
    Former Employee - PMO

I worked at Newell Rubbermaid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good mentors, lots of learning opportunities if your motivated.

Cons

Takes time to get the ball rolling from head office in USA

Can always improve on providing strategic communication.

Jul 28, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We hope that you'll keep Newell Rubbermaid in mind for future career opportunities.

Good place to work!

I have been working at Newell Rubbermaid full-time

Pros

Very lean, which is awesome for a young professional, because you get to work on a lot of cool projects that other large companies wouldn't let you touch at the entry-level. Also, great coworkers - I love the people I work with every day.

Cons

Because it's so lean, there is a LOT of work to do and you're expected to be scrappy.

Sometimes it seems like leaders don't trust lower level people - the decisions are top heavy and we're expected to be worker bees instead of decision makers.

Jul 21, 2014Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! It's always great to hear that employees are growing professionally as well as personally at NWL. We'll be sure to share your feedback with the engagement team.