Newk's Eatery
www.newks.com Jackson, MS

Newk's Eatery Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
Newk's Eatery – Opelika – “Newk's 'famous' Round Table of condiments”

Not yet rated.

Very good experience

Cook (Current Employee)
Oxford, MS

I have been working at Newk's Eatery part-time for more than a year

ProsThey are very organized with a specific plan to earn raises. They have good quality food and a good friendly atmosphere.

ConsSometimes they won't be straightforward if you will have to stay late.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything with management is pretty well organized.

Good experience

Cook (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Newk's Eatery part-time for more than a year

ProsReally good training and flexibility among management

ConsNot enough hours to go around and really bad bottlenecks during lunch rush

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Good job for students, anyone interested in part-time food service

Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Newk's Eatery part-time for more than a year

ProsPros include: Great coworkers, clear command structure, safe and clean work environment, large opportunity to cross-train in other positions, and flexibility of work schedule.

ConsCons are similar to most food service jobs: Rude customers, minimum wage pay, often frustrating management

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

They pull the wool over your eyes.

Front of House Hourly Partner (Former Employee)
Opelika, AL

I worked at Newk's Eatery part-time for less than a year

ProsCo-workers were pleasant (even made some friends), good music playing in background, $5 discount for meal even if not scheduled that day (first $5 free), slightly above minimum wage pay.

ConsPromise of lots of hours and then being cut. Refusal to allow availability change. Made to bus tables from time to time but not allowed to collect any tip left (only bus boys get tips). Pay was incorrect on several employees' paychecks. Insulted throughout shift. Ended up being sick from getting dehydrated and not being allowed to step away to drink something because customer influx. Being ignored when injured.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to care when employees need to change availability instead of just denying it because they may have a good reason for it. Properly file reports when employee has allergic reaction to powdered gloves (not supposed to be used in food service anyway). Do not expect front of house to be tossed all over and made to do extra tasks when no one else is required to. Have important things for register (like cups) where they can be reached instead of a 20 minute search.

Terrible coworkers

Server (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Newk's Eatery part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat customers that came in. Two managers stood out both with the letters T, always stood for the beliefs of our company

Consi had co workers who would curse in front of customers, throw fits, fight with each other so loudly in the kitchen that customers would look in. it was hard to work around a manager who came to work drunk and wasted as well as treat us below her like we had no choice but to do what she wanted.She would schedule us on days that werent in our availability and changed others without permission. and the managers let my coworkers get away with a lot and didnt do anything about the bad behavior. overall it was a terrible experience. this was technically my first job and it was fun at first until they brought new people and management in and it turned into a disaster. im looking for a new job to replace this one because i can barely handle the stress anymore. the pay also sucks.and i asked several times to change positions and give advice that customers confide in you to change and management never really takes it into consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease teach management not to disregard anyones opinions, to make sure ALL employees know that dating in the environment is UNPROFESSIONAL and cursing is unacceptable. Also, that if they want to give customers a great experience they must first train employees the proper way of good customer service.

Good Place to Work

Front of House Partner (Former Employee)
Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Newk's Eatery part-time for less than a year

Pros- very flexible around your schedule
- relaxed atmosphere with fun people
- good place for teens/young people to make a little extra cash

Cons- every restaurant is run by different management so each place is different, so the place that I worked is probably very different than other places. The place I worked was very sexist: the girls always worked the front and the guys always worked the kitchen. The managers were always male and often got a big head, but they were still usually relaxed and easy-going.
- very quick turn over rate. Doesn't matter if you do your job though, because if you're a good worker they won't let you go

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Newk's I worked at was extremely successful so it looks like whatever they were doing was right

Pleasant Experience

Cook (Former Employee)
Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Newk's Eatery part-time for more than a year

ProsFairly laid back job. If you do what you were suppose to do there will be no problems.

ConsYou have to become friends with management to get a raise.

When I have the money and the time, this is a good investment of them both.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Newk's Eatery

ProsThis business is customer-centric, and each part has to fit together for the machine to work well.

ConsAlthough a seasonal hire, I enjoyed my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused, keep doing what you're doing.

I was treated very unfairly and curious whether labor laws were violated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Newk's Eatery

ProsThe food quality is relatively high. There is some sense of initial camaraderie, but believe it is only on the surface.

ConsManagement gave multiple tasks at once without adequate time to complete them properly. Also, some of the instructions from different managers contradicted each other. In addition, supplies were not always available to complete assigned tasks. Managers speak about cameras all over watching your every move and threaten to yell at employees. Employees are discouraged from carrying anything with them into the establishment except the coat on their backs which means no way to tell time since employees are also not allowed to wear a watch. This is not the job for any employee with any home responsibilities since cell phones are not supposed to be on premises, and it is obvious that having a relative, such as a child, call on the restaurant phone would be frowned upon. Obviously this would not be a job for a working parent or caregiver. Back of the house staff looks down on front of the house staff, especially bussers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore professionalism is recommended. Make sure employees are not being given contradictory tasks and so many tasks at once by multiple employees that the tasks can not be adequately fulfilled. Make sure they are properly trained with the necessary supplies on hand. Make sure labor laws are being followed.

Great restaurant to work at. Helpful managers, friendly coworkers, and great food, but slightly unfair pay.

Counter Server (Former Employee)
Farragut, TN

ProsExcellent Training
Helpful Managers
Clean and organized work environment
Friendly coworkers
Will train you to work in all areas of the restaurant, if requested. (I was trained as a Counter Server, Table Server, Dish Washer, Sandwich Chef, Pizza Chef, and Table Buser).

ConsManagers slow to release next week's work schedule.
Pay is unfair for some employees. Counter Servers, who greet and take customers' orders, were paid the same as table servers, but the table servers get the tips. All that the table servers do is bring out the food and check on them once to make sure the food is okay. Everything else, even drink refills and dessert ordering, is self-serve or Counter Server work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't wait until the night before the next work week begins to release our schedules. Split the tips up among the staff. Counter servers interact with the customers more than the table servers do, but get paid significantly less because the table servers get the tips. This is just not fair by any standard.

Worked for Newk's Eatery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newk's Eatery reviews and ratings. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Newk's Eatery employees.