Newmont Mining

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary J. Goldberg

Pros
  • Company offers some of the best pay and benefits in their industry(in 9 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits, great PTO, 9/80 work schedule(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited work-life balance and political power plays are common(in 4 reviews)

• Hard to make decisions and get work done(in 3 reviews)

It is a moderately good place to work

Financial Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood overall pay levels and decent benefits.

ConsLack of leadership and employee development.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd some role responsibility and clarity.

Excellent Learning Experience

Geological Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Elko, NV

ProsAs an intern, worked on projects that an entry level engineer would work on.

ConsThe only bad thing about working here was the early mornings and commuting back and forth to work (roughly 40 minutes each way).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, you do a great job of welcoming new employees and getting the up to speed on things.

Good people but a bit disorganized.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood salary and benefits. Nice people and good working environment. Lot of opportunities to learn.

ConsLack of organization hurts the progress of the company. Poor large scale decisions bogged down future growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more upper level people with technical experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experience in Mining Planinng

Senior Mine Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood Values and Good Oportunities to grow up your career

ConsWe produce gold so wee have to diversified our portafolio

Great company positioned to weather mining cycles.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Elko, NV

ProsNewmont has great benefits and career opportunities. I have been with the company for eighteen years and have worked in four different departments. Each change has brought career growth and significant increases in pay. Benefits are outstanding with both a pension and 401k retirement plan as well as company provided clinics and transportation to mine sites. There is a very strong committment to safety and the environment. Newmont's mine sites in Nevada are very diverse culturally with employees from 20 different countries. Every generation is represented with some employees working for Newmont for almost 50 years!

ConsNortheastern Nevada is very rural but the people are very friendly and there lots of recreational activities and community events to participate in. A great place to put down roots!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe recent management changes are having a positive effect. Things need to move forwad quickly so we are positioned to benefit from the next upturn in gold prices. I'd love to see a merger or acquisition like the most recent one with Fronteer.

Strong Mining Culture

ProsLong tenure Company that is going through metal cycle stress. New operational management team will drive company forward

ConsNeed to drive culture change to core mining

Advice to Senior ManagementNew team is great - looking forward to moving the company forward and driving out initatives that add no real value. Back to basics.

Mining for Gold

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCulture, Values, Compensation, Benefits, Community

ConsBusiness Prospects, Work Life Balance

Overall a GREAT place to work.

Project Controls Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsExcellent Pay and Benefits, Empoyee Family activities

ConsSlow to promote, allow weak employees to remain with little done to improve performance

Great people and place to work

ProsHigh paced work environment helps develop valuable knowledge and experience in short order.
    Competitive pay and great benefits.

ConsLike many companies, change is perpetual.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow and develop your internal work force.

In search of a strategy

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood, smart people doing interesting work. Pay & benefits in line w/Fortune 500 companies.

ConsLack of skilled leadership and management at every level. Ever shifting priorities without a sustaining strategy. Poor infrastructure and processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a course and stick with it. Make day to day operations predictable and replicable.

Worked for Newmont Mining? Contribute to the Community!