Newmont Mining

Gary J. Goldberg

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company - Tough Times

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNewmont has weathered the storm as well as anyone in the industry. Really good people.

ConsTough time for mining. Layoffs and budget cuts make the job more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep people trained and progressing. They're doing more with less, so give them a reason to stay.

One of few Fortune 500 companies who Denver that offers global, corporate experience

Investor Relations Manager (Current Employee)
Englewood, CO

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOffice culture has shifted from mining veterans to young, high caliber people that creates a collegial atmosphere. Great opportunity to work across functions at Corporate and gain experience with the option to travel worldwide and for expat placement.

ConsLimited work-life balance and political power plays are common.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer excellent pay and benefits, which some refer to as golden handcuffs. They should take a note from Netflix on people management to retain top employees and eliminate mediocrity.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to get experience and have on your resume.

Accounting Intern (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Newmont Mining as an intern for more than a year

ProsFortune 500 company with awesome potential and huge network. Lots of connections with Big 4 accounting firms. My job that starts after my internship is completed is a direct result of management and their connections with the Denver area accounting firms. Everyone has heard of Newmont! And it's awesome to say that you work for a Gold Company!

ConsCyclical business...good times are great, bad times are terrible. No benefits for interns. Some of the staff can be a little stand-off-ish.

Old and Getting Older

Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere are some really good people still left in the organization, and those that are left really do want to contribute and add value. The compensation and benefits are very good, which makes it a difficult decision to leave when that time comes.

ConsThe company does not value its people or what they bring to the table. It is growing increasingly old and is migrating towards the 19th century rather than the 21st century in almost every way (technology, culture, management style, etc). Skill sets are rarely looked at or considered, rather they make decisions based on how much gray hair a person has. New ideas, skills, technologies and ways of doing work are rarely considered. The company is dying as a result. Extremely top heavy in the management ranks as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house! Eliminate the bulk of the executive management and delegate to those that know the business and know what is really happening in the organization. Invest in people and technology, and match people to roles based on skill sets.

Good benefits, but beware of lot's of bureaucracy.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefit package for USA domestic post is unbeatable. Great location for a corporate headquarters.

ConsStressful work environment. Most competent people are not promoted. High performers are not rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has some of the best people in the business, but the company does not do enough to hold on to its best assets.

Stressful, unfocused work environment. Directors and Executives have huge egos. Very short staffed after recent layoffs.

Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost people are very nice

ConsManagers, directors and executives have big egos, and don't work well with others. Executives preach "One Newmont", but separate themselves from average employees. Pay is behind industry standards for lower level employees. Work environment is very fast paced, stressful, and unfocused, yet it takes months for directors and executives to make decisions. Good employees leaving in droves due to poor management and unreasonable work load after recent layoffs, which just gets worse as more employees leave for better positions. No one is allowed to say no, and employees will go from one person to the next until they get what they want. No advancement opportunities for employees below manager level. Benefits package gets worse every year, with health insurance costs and deductibles rising more than 5 times this year alone. Its all about who you know, not what you know at Newmont. Too many directors with too little work to do, most just move information from their employees to the executives, and micromanage their employees to death. Elitist and entitled culture where executives rule like spoiled children.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet focused and concentrate on holding onto good employees. Review compensation and benefits, you're taking advantage of your low level employees. Treat your employees with more respect and maybe you will get some in return.

It is a moderately good place to work

Financial Reporting Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood overall pay levels and decent benefits.

ConsLack of leadership and employee development.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd some role responsibility and clarity.

Experience in Mining Planinng

Senior Mine Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood Values and Good Oportunities to grow up your career

ConsWe produce gold so wee have to diversified our portafolio

Mining for Gold

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time for more than a year

ProsCulture, Values, Compensation, Benefits, Community

ConsBusiness Prospects, Work Life Balance

Overall a GREAT place to work.

Project Controls Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Newmont Mining full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent Pay and Benefits, Empoyee Family activities

ConsSlow to promote, allow weak employees to remain with little done to improve performance

Worked for Newmont Mining? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newmont Mining reviews and ratings in Denver, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newmont Mining CEO Gary J. Goldberg. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Newmont Mining employees.