Newmont Mining

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary J. Goldberg

Pros
  • Company offers some of the best pay and benefits in their industry(in 9 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits, great PTO, 9/80 work schedule(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited work-life balance and political power plays are common(in 4 reviews)

• Hard to make decisions and get work done(in 3 reviews)

Volatile market

Engineer (Mining Technology) (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsBenefits, traveling, resources, perks, people

ConsGold prices, long hours, long commute, management style

Unstable

ProsGreat pay, great benefits, great PTO, 9/80 work schedule
    Some people are really decent, hard working, smart people

Cons-Too many organizational structure changes.
    -Communication could be better between groups and just in general.
    -The layoffs have been rough for some people. Mostly for the hard working people. These are the people that have the potential to move forward in their careers and accomplish great things at this company. Unfortunately, some of these hard working people are the ones that will probably leave to do exactly that, because they're so bogged down with other work that they can barely do the jobs that they were hired to do. It's fine to do this for a while, but when there's no light at the end of the tunnel, people will eventually leave. On the other hand, these significant layoffs did not scare the slackers enough to actually change their ways, and they're allowed to get away with it which leads me to my advice...

Advice to Senior ManagementFire people. When mediocre people are allowed to stay for years by apparently incompetent managers, it doesn't help anything really.

Not the most stable place to work

Procurement (Former Employee) Greenwood Village, CO

ProsFlexible work schedule, Decent pay

Cons"Good ol' boys" environment, People are in cliques like high school , Regular lay-offs, Far too many employees who are unprofessional

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The overall attitude is not that of a solid engineering company but a popular people club fraught with political games.

Chemist (Metallurgist) (Former Employee) Carlin, NV

ProsOne can advance their career quickly here. Engineers typically move up very fast.

ConsYour success here will not be based primarily on your work or knowledge base. You will need to do your best to be a part of the clique.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify your hiring base to make a stronger engineering effort.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSmart and dedicated people, interesting work, reasonable compensation

ConsOffice is far from downtown, corporate environment is a little stuffy

I have been employed by Newmont on many occasions in a variety of positions and I have enjoyed all of them.

Temporary Worker (Former Employee) Carlin, NV

ProsThis company tends to be very diverse. There are many opportunities to advance or cross train. Benefits packages and pay are rewarding.

ConsThe mining environment could be a little more professional sometimes. They could also learn a few things from other companies (like using helicopters with scanners rather than sending surveyors to shoot in steep stockpiles) (of course, that's job security, right?)

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is great to be part of a company that is willing to change for the better. Many times, though, management decisions are not communicated well with the employees that have to deal with them. Confusion seemed to often leads to citations. Taking things a little slower as far as hiring is also nice. It's unfortunate when more people are hired than the company can maintain and people are laid off when the price of gold decreases again (as it always will). A slightly more thorough interviewing process might also reveal which people would be more likely to drive on the right (as opposed to the left) side of the road. I've been a passenger in the vehicle with a few of these individuals and somethings just don't click for some people.

Lack of Direction

Project Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat people and benefits.
    Work is interesting.

ConsLack of focus
    Lack of leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a long term plan and vision

Excellent company to work for

Investor Relations Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture, lots of responsibility

ConsExtensive workload, but not overwhelming

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the search for qualified candidates

Good Company - Tough Times

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsNewmont has weathered the storm as well as anyone in the industry. Really good people.

ConsTough time for mining. Layoffs and budget cuts make the job more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep people trained and progressing. They're doing more with less, so give them a reason to stay.

One of few Fortune 500 companies who Denver that offers global, corporate experience

Investor Relations Manager (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsOffice culture has shifted from mining veterans to young, high caliber people that creates a collegial atmosphere. Great opportunity to work across functions at Corporate and gain experience with the option to travel worldwide and for expat placement.

ConsLimited work-life balance and political power plays are common.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer excellent pay and benefits, which some refer to as golden handcuffs. They should take a note from Netflix on people management to retain top employees and eliminate mediocrity.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Newmont Mining? Contribute to the Community!