Newmont Mining

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary J. Goldberg

Pros
  • Company offers some of the best pay and benefits in their industry (in 9 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits, great PTO, 9/80 work schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited work-life balance and political power plays are common (in 4 reviews)

• Hard to make decisions and get work done (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging and interesting experience.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood compensation package
    Lots of learning opportunities

Conslack of coherent organizational structure
    work-life balance
    very much a relationship driven organization
    cultural and gender diversity was an issue (may have changed to the better now)

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline work processes and clarify roles and responsibilities among departments, regions and consequently positions.
    Matrix organization is not an excuse to have too many overlaps and even more gaps in responsibilities which make increasingly difficult to move projects forward.
    Do something about the "chiefs" to "Indians" ratio - so many "directors" who never managed a single person let alone departments and/or functions.
    Good luck and keep growing profitably!

Awesome pay and benefits!

ProsGreat people to work with!

ConsCareer growth is difficult. Hard to move to other companies unless you are willing to take a cut in pay/benefits. With recent lay-offs, doing more work with less people.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's focus on career opportunities/growth within!

Good pay, lots of management bureaucracy

Exploration Geologist (Former Employee) Elko, NV

ProsGood pay, enjoyed the work, likes my co-workers

ConsLots of management problems, hours working

Advice to Senior Managementless interference with day to day activity

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old and Getting Older

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Greenwood Village, CO

ProsThere are some really good people still left in the organization, and those that are left really do want to contribute and add value. The compensation and benefits are very good, which makes it a difficult decision to leave when that time comes.

ConsThe company does not value its people or what they bring to the table. It is growing increasingly old and is migrating towards the 19th century rather than the 21st century in almost every way (technology, culture, management style, etc). Skill sets are rarely looked at or considered, rather they make decisions based on how much gray hair a person has. New ideas, skills, technologies and ways of doing work are rarely considered. The company is dying as a result. Extremely top heavy in the management ranks as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house! Eliminate the bulk of the executive management and delegate to those that know the business and know what is really happening in the organization. Invest in people and technology, and match people to roles based on skill sets.

Great place to get experience and have on your resume.

Accounting Intern (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFortune 500 company with awesome potential and huge network. Lots of connections with Big 4 accounting firms. My job that starts after my internship is completed is a direct result of management and their connections with the Denver area accounting firms. Everyone has heard of Newmont! And it's awesome to say that you work for a Gold Company!

ConsCyclical business...good times are great, bad times are terrible. No benefits for interns. Some of the staff can be a little stand-off-ish.

Good benefits, but beware of lot's of bureaucracy.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsBenefit package for USA domestic post is unbeatable. Great location for a corporate headquarters.

ConsStressful work environment. Most competent people are not promoted. High performers are not rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has some of the best people in the business, but the company does not do enough to hold on to its best assets.

Good

Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) Elko, NV

ProsPay, Benefits, Schedule, Bonus, Work Environment

ConsMeetings, Poor Planning, Job Duties

ProsWork life balance, Friday offs, fair market salary

ConsInefficient operations, no established processes, lack of business planning and execution expertise, silo, no common culture

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is new, should pay more attention to core competencies

Newmont Mining Inc.

Project Manager - Technical (Former Employee) Elko, NV

ProsGreat people! Fantastic location. Plenty of new tasks daily!

ConsCompany location based in the remote mountain locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing your thing! It works!

Stressful, unfocused work environment. Directors and Executives have huge egos. Very short staffed after recent layoffs.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Greenwood Village, CO

ProsMost people are very nice

ConsManagers, directors and executives have big egos, and don't work well with others. Executives preach "One Newmont", but separate themselves from average employees. Pay is behind industry standards for lower level employees. Work environment is very fast paced, stressful, and unfocused, yet it takes months for directors and executives to make decisions. Good employees leaving in droves due to poor management and unreasonable work load after recent layoffs, which just gets worse as more employees leave for better positions. No one is allowed to say no, and employees will go from one person to the next until they get what they want. No advancement opportunities for employees below manager level. Benefits package gets worse every year, with health insurance costs and deductibles rising more than 5 times this year alone. Its all about who you know, not what you know at Newmont. Too many directors with too little work to do, most just move information from their employees to the executives, and micromanage their employees to death. Elitist and entitled culture where executives rule like spoiled children.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet focused and concentrate on holding onto good employees. Review compensation and benefits, you're taking advantage of your low level employees. Treat your employees with more respect and maybe you will get some in return.

Worked for Newmont Mining? Contribute to the Community!